What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The BroomRoom...

SmellyFlorist

.......icmag... watsup

Thread time....

Right a lil intro.... iv been in this place a lil over 12months, an when I say place I mean 6 walls and sum roof sheeting, thats it, no power, no water, just shelter. Its been one hell of a learning process, with its ups and downs, but I can confidently say Im better off than i was this time last year....

The set up Iv got at the moment is a basic walkin cupboard... I know.
Two 400w hps bulbs set up in a fat squashed donut...
The room I built measures 1.1m in width by 1.6m in depth and is bout 3m in height... yeah nice headroom. I built a cheap DIY carbon scrubber based off a thread from the link0rama[another epic part of ic] its pretty friggen huge but I did make sure to follow the formula[cant remember details at the mo, but hav records somewhere] so there is real good air flow and I do get a bit of negative pressure which can suck the door closed.... thats connected to a overkill ceiling fan thats built into the ceiling of the room, the rest of my place has no ceilings.... see below:shucks:
One real important point I must raise real early is that this pretty much as hillybilly as it can get....... serious....
Mostly everything is diy, everthing. I live in the bush in a 3rd world country and hate having to travel far.... and many things around here seem to be from the stone age anyway, its not just me...
I stay in the sub tropics and during our summer the humidity is crazy.... as in you can drink it crazy... so Batteling that and the heat is a task...
Right now the room is down, lost a whole set of clones bout 7weeks back[more info on that later...] but a new set are on the way and Im hoping for a month end flip....
Im really looking for advice on my setup, plants and other things with the creation of this thread... Indoors Iv only flowered vert, and many of the legends who post in the vert forums are who I have learnt how to do things from, so as a progressive step Iv created this thread in order to learn more an try an better things... while having a good laugh along the way and who knows, maybe others can learn, like i have from others here and continue too...
Ic has been such a haven for me as Iv been lurking for many years...
so...........

Pics or it never happened, right...?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You should look into Marlo's thread. He runs a room that is smaller in width than yours is. Might be some good info in there for you. And I am sure he would be more than willing to help with questions.

SmellyFlorist

@ Inchabod crane... watsup. Thanks for stopping by. Iv spent many an hour getting lost in your threads and always have a good chuckle while doin it:laughing:... you got mad training skills on those individual screens of yours and your plants look great :whee: digg those chickens too.... need to get some....
Your right, Iv spent a lot of time gaining heaps of knowledge from marlos many threads[omg those diesels!] and his room is what I 'based' quite a of my specs from.... lots more to gain though :biggrin:

@ decrytion.... watsup, thanks for stopping by. Not to sure why? first pics Iv uploaded... Have noticed they tiny.... any help would be appreciated....

:smoke out:

SmellyFlorist

@ decryption... thanks brah...

As I said earlier I lost a whole set of clones few weeks back...
So the rooms been empty, perfect time for a lil remodel, Iv put shelves @ bout 800 from the FFl, im tired of sitting on the floor, at least now I can place a stool in there to do some graft....
Im also planning on running small but more plants. The last runs have been 9plants, and then 6. This run Im planning on running 20 clones on the shelves. I still need to fix the netting, which will be hung in line with the edge of the shelves[not against the walls] to create a 'fence effect'... thats the plan anyway...
Iv also built a light holder, run on a pully, so I can adjust the light hight more easly...
Iv given the walls above the shelving another 2 fresh coats of flat white paint to the height of 800mm. But looking at the pics, the whole room really needs to be bombed in white.....
Any advice of change you guys would make or do differently? stuff im missing....

so yeah... need to clean the dust off the scrubber.....

SmellyFlorist

More pics...
picture.php

these are the set of clones that are goin in next....

picture.php

picture.php

I can see that these girls dont look too happy... and this is what started to happen to the last set that I lost...
This problems been in the veg room on different plants at differrent times, for the last few months, its really had me scratching my head... The leaves canoe and look blistery... the leaves claw on most affected plants and growth just stops... a week back I began to think I migth have a broad mite problem... Iv been spraying... but not likes its armageddon.... which I believe is needed to kill these lil bastards

any thoughts from you guys what could be the problem here....??
These lil ladies are in coco, I make a light feed, consisting of home made worm tea, molasses, drop or two of high nitrogen fish emulsion, mixed with an equal amount fresh rain water collected off the gutters.... and Iv been feeding this very lightly, maybe only once a week...

Any input or thoughts will be greatly appreciated....

SmellyFlorist

and more.....

picture.php

this is one of the worst effected ladies, bout four days back before the spray cycle started..... not happy.

picture.php

also before spray cycle...

picture.php

new seedlings, popped on the equinox, dna genetics crosses...
not showing symptoms.... yet.....

Miraculous Meds

unfortunately that damage does look like bm's. Before I even read ur writing when I looked at the pics I thought that.

Put a scope on them. the broad mites are small and can be seen on top of top leaves. Pluck a damaged top leaf and look closely at the veins and around the petiole. they like to hide and are hard to find. they are a fraction the size of red mites, and they are opaque almost transluscent. Theres a good chance that's what that is.

If u want any advice on how to manage the treatment let me know.

gl

SmellyFlorist

@ Miraculous Meds... thanks for stopping in... Yeah advice with how do deal with these lil buggers would be great...:bow:
I have had a close look, but havnt broken a leaf off an given it a real goin over... Ill do that shortly...
Besides your advice of dealing with them, do you think you could give me your opinion of how bad this damage is, and how long the girls should take to come back from this...? I feel they can make it...
Iv already completed a 3 spray cycle as of friday... Iv been using the spray to deal with other pest, seems to work, not at home right now so dont know the actual active chemical.... but its a basic pesticide from a nursery. I just think in the past few months my spray hasnt been diligent enough, and I havnt killed them off..... which is evident :laughing:
once again brah thanks for your help...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Post this in the infirmary. You will get more responses than you will here. You could also do it in the organics because you are running organic feed.

SmellyFlorist

@ Ichabod Crane... Thanks for stopping by again...
I did consider that, But I also noticed there was a sticky for bm's, with a lot of info, and a lot of debate... I read a bit, found some good pointers.... Just didnt see a point of starting another bm thread...:chin: new to this whole forum thing:laughing:
Hopefully some knowledgable vertheads like you can chime in and point out things that can be improved on.... in all aspects...
Thanks again ...:smoke out:

SmellyFlorist

.... keep forgetting to adjust pic sizes :wallbash: small pics arnt cool

picture.php

screens getting fixed up...

picture.php

picture.php

behind screen shot with back screen fitted...

picture.php

screens all in.... bulbs and ladies needed.....

Miraculous Meds

@ Miraculous Meds... thanks for stopping in... Yeah advice with how do deal with these lil buggers would be great...:bow:
I have had a close look, but havnt broken a leaf off an given it a real goin over... Ill do that shortly...
Iv already completed a 3 spray cycle as of friday... Iv been using the spray to deal with other pest, seems to work, not at home right now so dont know the actual active chemical.... but its a basic pesticide from a nursery. I just think in the past few months my spray hasnt been diligent enough, and I havnt killed them off..... which is evident :laughing:
once again brah thanks for your help...

On broad mite treatment. My background on it stems from having them for 6 months plus, devastating each harvest and almost getting me to quit . this was 2 to 3 years ago and haven't had them since, well, I just found them from some clones a friend gave me a month ago lol. I should have quarantined, oh well, another learning lesson. I must rreally like learning lessons in life cause I get them often.

So I read through the bm thread, got a scope out again, because I had already used a scope but didn't see them cause I didn't know what I was looking for and they are very small and hide. I haven't read the thread in the last year or two in any detail so I don't know if any new treatments or ideas have come to light.
But I did eradicate them with no problems till the obvious taking in of new clone stock, so the treatment is effective.

So after the long winded intro let me share the not so fun news about treatment. First I caution and suggest u read that thread at least as best u can since its a mile long lol. Then if u decide to use the treatment I know of to work u must take it very seriously. To the best of my knowledge the only way to get rid of them besides killing everything, cleaning, and starting over, is the heavy duty miticides that are rated to kill broads, and cyclamens, they are in the same category so no probs there.

Avid is the name brand of the miticide most effective, or abenectim is the chemical name. A back up or second spray of serious nature is forbid 4f. Of the two avid seems to be the better killer If u chose just one. I got both to switch up treatments. these miticides require full ppe suits, including cheap tyvek chem suits, goggles, paint/chem respirator, gloves, u get the idea now, but read the bottle of chems to follow all guidelines. Then u have to make a spray plan focused around the safety precautions outlined in the chemicals instructions, including not re entering the room for 12 to 24 hours. Not overspraying on things, not contaminating any area to endanger others and pets, ect.., turning off airflow not to blow spray where u don't want it. There are more details but before I go further, u need to identify them properly and decide if this is the route u want to go. I would say I would never spray flowering plants with these chems. Check into it and if its what u have them and its what u chose to do and have more q's u can message me and I will share more details.

I wrote a couple posts to lady lucky bean, she has documented her treatment with broads, it was a pretty good write up to get an idea of how to do it.

Besides your advice of dealing with them, do you think you could give me your opinion of how bad this damage is, and how long the girls should take to come back from this...? I feel they can make it...

The damage is bad to the point that I wouldn't flower those with out treating them or it will be close to total failure. Now my guess on after treatment how soon they will be back of track is just a week or two, again just a guess though. They definitely can make it, just need those dam bugs to stop munching on them and most of our normal treatment just don't kill these guys.

gl

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
@ Ichabod Crane... Thanks for stopping by again...
I did consider that, But I also noticed there was a sticky for bm's, with a lot of info, and a lot of debate... I read a bit, found some good pointers.... Just didnt see a point of starting another bm thread...:chin: new to this whole forum thing:laughing:
Hopefully some knowledgable vertheads like you can chime in and point out things that can be improved on.... in all aspects...
Thanks again ...:smoke out:

I am far from a expert in sick plants. That is part of why I said post in the infermary. That is what it is for. More people visit that thread than just the very guys. To me it looks like PH is off but like I said I am no expert. And I have never had broad mites that I know of. Could have wiped them out treating for spider mites and not have known.

So that said I am not the one to ask about your sick plants, sorry.

LSWM

Room looks really clean. It's gonna be hard to access once you get fully flowering but if you don't mind doing the extra work it looks like you'll have a great yield.