What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP WITH LED AGRO FULL SPECTRUM

riddly

Hi everybody,

Had several looks around internet to try and find (LED) what it seems to be the best product available on the market (feel free to tell me any other name LED-wise that you think are ahead of Budmaster).

They use OSRAM leds (3W) which are said (on several websites) to be the best on the market. I have also read that even better would be LEDs of 5W each but don't know if i can then replace myself the 3W LEDs wth 5W ones.(right?) .

As you can see they are way more expensive then the rest offered on the market. If i wanna pay peanutes i'll get monkeys. :D I have also read that to get a decent/good yield one has to look at, at least, 300W real power draw (is that correct?) The G.O.D. 6 seems to have it all but god, so expensive!

1) G.O.D. 4 : http://www.budmaster.co.uk/budmaster-ii-uk-god-4-led-grow-light.html (I read that the Osram leds have double the intensity of the other competitors and last longer)

2) G.O.D. 6 : http://www.budmaster.co.uk/budmaster-ii-uk-god-6-led-grow-light.html

i also have other two lapmps i have set my eyes on (again would love your advice on them as you surely know what is needed in my case). I want to add that i am a total beginner when it comes to indoor growing and that i am not aiming at growing being plants for buds, rather for seed production (and mainly during the cold winter months nov+dec+jan+feb)

Originally i am thinking of using this just for seeds, because it makes young plants grow fast(er) than the other competitors, and also (according to the reviews) increase yields by a minimum of 15% up to 30-40%, not only in terms of dry weight but also in size of buds and resin/oil production.

1) Would you say that this is a waste of money just for producing seeds? If so could you recommend to me a decent LED that can help me for my grow for seeds?

2) best is to use it only for buds and buy another (cheaper) lamp for the seeds?

3) if "yes" is the answer to the two questions above (in question no.2) what LED lamp would you recommend?

4) as options i see the following as possible choices/alternatives

UNIT FARM (Power draw: 360W):
https://www.unitfarm.com/ufo-160-cree-osram-led-grow-light-for-sale#customer-reviews

UNIT FARM (Power draw: 270W)
https://www.unitfarm.com/ufo-120-cree-osram-led-grow-light-for-sale#customer-reviews

ORTOLED (real power draw 270W has 3 COB LEDs as well, seems full spectrum too). the site is in italian but google translator will do the trick ;)

http://www.ortoled.com/ortoled-7k/

Eagerly awaiting to know your opinions. If i start growing indoors it'd be in 1m by 1m by max 2m) using only organic and lightly amended soil with all the nutrients necessary for a smooth grow and acceptable flowering

Thank you for your help bro!
riddly

p.s. Please just post the name of the LED you think can better assist me: (link)

thejact55

I can only talk on what i know about, but here is ny 2 cents...
I grow for seeds 70% of the time. I bought a Viparspectra 900 watt to run in a 3x3 tent, and have been for a few cycles. This light produces decent buds (above my expectations), and seeds do just fine as well. I am not broke by any means, i can afford whatever i want, but if seeds are your main focus, a 1000 dollar light wont make you more sucessful. Other lights will do just as well. A small plant will give you hella seeds, you dont need a dope light.you bud yeild, sure do it if you want, but not for seeds. I actually bought a viparspectra 600 watt earlier today for a 2.5x3' tent for 179. I have been very happy to be honest. Still would take a hps over a led, but if heat is a factor (why i got one), led helps alot. Dunno, maybe the viparspectra mught crap out on me in a year or two, but so far so good.
For that price i would rock like 3 1000 watt hps's and kill it.

riddly

thanks for the answer. you meant 3 feet not 3 metres right? do you resell your seeds or keep them for your future grows? when you say asmall plant will give me loads of seeds, could you roughly quantify the number? 100?200?300? or...? and by "small plant" how tall would that "small" be?
with the 900W how many plants can you fit comfortably in the tent?

thejact55

Small plant meaning flowering from almost day one in a one gallon. (See my link) Depending on when you pollinate, upwards of 500 seeds isnt uncommon. 2-300 should be easy every time. Seperate your males once they get close to throwing pollen. They will mature way quicker than the females. Once the females have a little flowers going (3 weekish) then put your males in there. Dont over pollinate, youll end up with stacked immature seeds that dont become viable.
I dont resell, right now i am just open pollinating all of my landrace strains and keeping em pure. My angle is to stack seeds, so when i get more space, i have ample seed stock to play with when making my own creations. I have over 7000 seeds ive made (count by overall weight), and that is from maybe 8-9 strains i have crossed. Ill never get to em all, but might as well keep em.

I run my 900 in a 3x3 (yes, feet) tent. One gallon you can get 9 in there. 3x3 rows. Say 50% are male youre left with 4 or 5 females. It can get tight, just bend em around. Ive pulled healthy seeds off of hps, flouro and led.

The seeds towards the bottom of the bud, closest to the main stems mature first. The ones at the top cola and upper parts of the other buds finish last. Youll be suprised how they can stack and hide in a bud. You can wait for the outer cover to brown, then you definetely know theyre done. Some strains open up easier than others. Just test em and open up now and again. It takes 4-6 weeks from pollination for them to finish usually. Read up on partial pollination and such also.

riddly

thanks for the answer. so, to recap:

1) grow for 1 full month of 16/8 or 18/6

2) flower for roughly 2 months on 12/12 or 11/13

3)in a 3x3 max 9 pots of 1 Gallon (bend them down and around for more light to get in)

4) move the males out of the tent and wait for the females to show flowers

5) once females show flowers going put the males in the tent (how long will the males have to be in the tent for once the females have shown flowers going?)

6) you use a 900W for a 3x3 tent so that you're sure your 9 plants get all "evenly" covered by the light? (asking this cos i heard that a 600W would be more then enough for a 3x3 tent)

7)so basically once i have put the males in with the females, after 4-6 weeks i should get my buds ripe with brown seeds formed?

8) you think i can achieve this with the light schedule i wrote above? (veg 16/8 or 18/4 and flowering 12/12 or 11/13)

thak you

p.s. i think i know what you mean by partial pollination. just sprinkle some pollen on selected branches/flowers so that you get your seeds but leave the rest of the plant "unpollened" thus "sinsemilla" with smokeable buds. right?

thejact55

See below by your list.

thanks for the answer. so, to recap:

1) grow for 1 full month of 16/8 or 18/6.
Month or less veg is fine. Bigger plants equals more seeds. Play around with what works best for you.

2) flower for roughly 2 months on 12/12 or 11/13.
12/12 is fine for indica. I do 11/13 for sativa...actually nowadays i just leave it on 11/13 for all plants.

3)in a 3x3 max 9 pots of 1 Gallon (bend them down and around for more light to get in) ya 9 pots is about the most you can fit. Bend as needed. Aome strains stay small and no bending required. Some get tall and you have to get creative.

4) move the males out of the tent and wait for the females to show flowers. Yes. I run 3 tents, so i flower em together, pull the males into another tent right before they throw pollen. Give the females a couple more weeks and then put back in the males.

5) once females show flowers going put the males in the tent (how long will the males have to be in the tent for once the females have shown flowers going?) I do one big pollen shake on em. Then wait, in 24 fo 48 hours your white pistils will turn brown and shrivel. If not alot are brown and shriveled do one more pollen shake. Of most or alot are shriveled, your done. Pollen is potent, it doesnt take much. Do not constantly shake pollen on them just to be safe, it will do more bad then good.

6) you use a 900W for a 3x3 tent so that you're sure your 9 plants get all "evenly" covered by the light? (asking this cos i heard that a 600W would be more then enough for a 3x3 tent).
Eh, a 600 watt hps has better coverage no doubt.the outer perimeters using a 900 watt led could use a little more light, but its sufficient. If i had to only choose one or the other, id take a 600 watt hps. But led keeps the heat down, and maybe helps with the electric bill...but my hps's dont raise my bill much.

7)so basically once i have put the males in with the females, after 4-6 weeks i should get my buds ripe with brown seeds formed? Yes. Once those pistils get brown, 4-6 weeks. I think usually closer to 6 weeks. I harvest seeds over a week or so period, as some mature faster, and i get impatient. You can also harvest all at once when they are all done. Either way.

8) you think i can achieve this with the light schedule i wrote above? (veg 16/8 or 18/4 and flowering 12/12 or 11/13) yep. I do 24 hrs for veg, then 11/13 for flower. For pure sativas, try no more than 14 hours of light...they naturally are not used to 24 hrs. So a 14/10 then 11/13 for flower on sativas.
And 24 hours or 18/6 for indica types, then 12/12 or less.

thak you

p.s. i think i know what you mean by partial pollination. just sprinkle some pollen on selected branches/flowers so that you get your seeds but leave the rest of the plant "unpollened" thus "sinsemilla" with smokeable buds. right?
Yes, correct.

riddly

hey thejact55 thank you for your help. really much appreciated. you rock :) i'll treasure your detailed explanations for a long time and will srely get back to you if and when i'll start my indoor grow. right now am still undecided. have to let things settle and don't rush things (alsosome money issues). would love to get a Budmaster, just love their type of light. Looks amazing on the pics and vids and reviewers rave about them! ;)

cheers!

p.s. if i wanna use my led just for (or mainly for) seed production. which model of the budmaster do you think would do the trick? i read somewhere that to have a decent grow ( i guess for buds rather than for seeds ) you need at least a 300W real draw. what would you say about this?

Latest posts

Latest posts