Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Worldwide Cannabis Guide > Chaouen - The Moroccan Rif in May 2009

Thread Title Search
Visit Skunk24.com for discounted cannabis seeds.
Chaouen - The Moroccan Rif in May 2009 Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM #21
limey

limey will become famous soon enoughlimey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotropic View Post
Thanks for your tips bonecarver_OG and limey.

Not going directly from Tétouan to Chefchouen is a very good |\idea limey. Nice you even suggested spots, I'll be back to this thread when I plan to get back to Morocco, however I can't go as soon as I would like to. I think the best months to go down there are May\June and September\October (harvest time), but I really doubt that I go there next Autumn... Maybe next year...

Gonna check your report now.

Good smokes to all you guys

-p_
My pleasure psychotropic,

those are indeed the best months climate wise. April (even early May) can still be a bit cold and wet up in the Rif ; mid-summer is unbearably hot..

actualy harvest inthe Rif is sometimes as early as late August. There are very few plants still growing by October (which I have always found a bit odd as Oct is certainly harvest time in other places I have been). I understand that this is largely driven by considerations of water/irrigation rather than by ripeness (though an open to being corrected on this). Most farmers in the Rif do not irrigate often as there is little rainfall in the growing period, stream and wadis run dry and few farmers can afford pumps etc. So many of them pull their plants when they are effectively dying from drought. I guess this lack of water probably helps to stimulate resin production but of course reduces yields and accounts for the frankly pretty poor and straggly plants one sees in many farms. Only in the highest reaches of the mountains (where there is higher humidity from clouds, dew etc) and in the more remote river valleys do you see many big, healthy green plants. This means to get the best hash you have to go far off the beaten trail... I regret I have been less adventurous that I ought to have been in this respect but I will go back Rifwards again (maybe this year) and see if I can get off my arse and get higher into the hills for more of the best resin....

limey is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 PM #22
bobmerlay

bobmerlay is on a distinguished road
how far from chefouan are we talking... to get to the area in the rif where the best hash is made? 4 miles, 40?
bobmerlay is offline Quote

Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 AM #23
bonecarver_OG

limey - generally the drought method of growing cannabis is the best for hash production, and since long time back its these plants that produce the best - MOST potent hash. in spanish this method is called "Secano". this is the prefeered moroccan method.

the plants recieving irrigation normally yield more but ITS IS NOT the best hash producing plants. for you want the trichomes to fall off easy.. CHUNKY buds make this task very dificult...

many times i suspect some of those more wellgrown plants could be for kif production. now in morocco "KIF" is the chopped up nugs and is pretty much as far from hash u can get.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 PM #24
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmerlay View Post
how far from chefouan are we talking... to get to the area in the rif where the best hash is made? 4 miles, 40?
The BEST hash in the rif... well, probably nearer to 40 than 4miles - it will be somewhere in the middle of the Chefchaoen-El Jebha/Jabha-Ketama triangle. And high up. However you would need to bear in mind that it's not the distance that makes these places inaccessible, it's that the Rif are a very rugged and poorly roaded mountain chain. Your best bet would be to find a guide (not easy - lots of guides, lots of wankers too!) and go by motorbike. Not going to be possible without time and effort.

Very good hash (if not the best) is not so hard to find nearer Chefchaoen (and it you are lucky) in the town itself. As with anywhere, good relationships with a well connected local are the key. Because there are alot of tossers and junkies dealing in Chefchaoen (sorry, it is a great town but there really are alot of these idiots there) I have found it easier to find better gear in other places, like Oued Laou. Also perhaps safer if not easier to arrange visits to farms from there. That said, Chefchaoen is a very nice place to waste a month or two, so if you can use it as a base for expeditions out and come back for the smoking and the hanging out, you couldn't do much better.

limey is offline Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM #25
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecarver_OG View Post
limey - generally the drought method of growing cannabis is the best for hash production, and since long time back its these plants that produce the best - MOST potent hash. in spanish this method is called "Secano". this is the prefeered moroccan method.

the plants recieving irrigation normally yield more but ITS IS NOT the best hash producing plants. for you want the trichomes to fall off easy.. CHUNKY buds make this task very dificult...

many times i suspect some of those more wellgrown plants could be for kif production. now in morocco "KIF" is the chopped up nugs and is pretty much as far from hash u can get.
Agreed, though of course it could work even better for them, IMO, if they watered until a few weeks before ripeness and then adopted this "secano" technique.

Doesn't it bug you when people refer to hash as kif/kief (which you rightly point out is chopped bud - usally mixed with tabac sauvage)? does me, I can tell you. Perhaps I am exposing my ignorance - is hash traditionally referred to as kif in other parts of the world?

limey is offline Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 PM #26
Kaneh
Pot Head Pixie

Kaneh will become famous soon enoughKaneh will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Agreed, though of course it could work even better for them, IMO, if they watered until a few weeks before ripeness and then adopted this "secano" technique.

Doesn't it bug you when people refer to hash as kif/kief (which you rightly point out is chopped bud - usally mixed with tabac sauvage)? does me, I can tell you. Perhaps I am exposing my ignorance - is hash traditionally referred to as kif in other parts of the world?

It bug's me!
When I first started reading IC I was wondering why the hell people are praising kif.
I tryed it when I was in Riff couple years back and I wouldn't never smoke it again!
KIF IS MAINLY LEAF MIXED WITH BLACK TOBACCO!!! IT'S NOT HASH!!!
YÄK!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:59 PM #27
HashishinReidi

HashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the rough
Psycho thanks alot for taking the times to show us your pics, it sure does look a very nice place i love the blue colour of the buildings.The reason you did not see any dogs i would say is they are classed as unclean Cats are ok for Muslim, dogs are not only if they are used are guard dogs outside or guide dogs for the blind .Sure looks like you had a great time,the hash looks the bizz.Just been going through you gallery nice plant psy

The war on cannabis is a unjust war .RIP Breadbin 1973 to 2010, you might be gone, but you will never be forgotten m8.
HashishinReidi is offline Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 PM #28
Kaneh
Pot Head Pixie

Kaneh will become famous soon enoughKaneh will become famous soon enough
And the food is not so good if you're vegetarian like myself. (IMHO)
After week I started making my own food, I couldn't eat more gusgus with that sweet sauce.
From Chefchouen market you can by everything you need. It's fresh and cheap. Mmm, orange juice made of those fresh oranges... sweeeeeet...

just my hippy vegetarian

Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM #29
McSnappler
Lurk.

McSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really niceMcSnappler is just really nice
Great photos man, Morocco is an amazing place, very friendly people, and great if you love to haggle out a bargain! I've never visited the Rif though, and it's on my things-to-do-before-I-die list.. thanks again for the pics!
McSnappler is offline Quote

Old 06-08-2009, 08:26 PM #30
HashishinReidi

HashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the roughHashishinReidi is a jewel in the rough
Well in 1348 it was called Kaif now called kiff and in those times most of them ate not smoked it and they called it that then in 1348 iba Batuta reported from his travils from persia to east africa that hashish was eatern even somtimes in the mosque , i have found a huge bit of info on this put it will not let me coppy or past none of it ,And its called hashishin in islam in the 9th to 18 century .Its a pitty it cant copy an paste none of it.

The war on cannabis is a unjust war .RIP Breadbin 1973 to 2010, you might be gone, but you will never be forgotten m8.
HashishinReidi is offline Quote