What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Perm's

Big Perm

Hello everyone and welcome to my Grow Diary.:tiphat:
This will by my ongoing photo and video journal. Thank you.
-BP

Big Perm

Ditch Weed (auto)
I really don't care for autos, but this was a free bean. Early on I nicknamed this plant ditch weed. This was me zooming in to check out if it was done yet.
[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGjZcaUJwok&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBEIF]

Big Perm

We can't edit posts here? The vid link didn't work so I fixed it:

Ditch Weed (auto)
I really don't care for autos, but this was a free bean. Early on I nicknamed this plant ditch weed. This was me zooming in to check out if it was done yet.
[YOUTUBEIF]KGjZcaUJwok[/YOUTUBEIF]

Big Perm

Succulents
I've got quite a few succulents going. Had to take a pic after some water.

picture.php

Big Perm

Ditch Weed (auto)
This one went 104 days. I neglected this plant pretty bad. I just stuck it places here and there where there was room.
[YOUTUBEIF]xc16rS-bSZA[/YOUTUBEIF]

Big Perm

Grass Plot
I'm seeding in a little area that used to be a part of my garden.
Day 1
[YOUTUBEIF]hIZCr5NNgdI[/YOUTUBEIF]

Big Perm

Some of the front yard. Last year I power raked the entire thing to dirt and put it all in from seed. It looked just like the Grass Plot videos when I started. Last year I was the best lawn on the block. This year I'm going for the world.
[YOUTUBEIF]PUZM0_qmIl0[/YOUTUBEIF]

Big Perm

Grass Plot
I'm going to leave that dandelion weed there for the OCD peeps out there.
Day 2
[YOUTUBEIF]RcbmFW8SOWU[/YOUTUBEIF]

Welcome to ICMag. Looking forward to your side-by-side. Make sure you get permission from the mods in that sub forum :)

Last edited:

Big Perm

Messing around with a few vids, figured I'd share. Any that anyone likes? Kind of just getting a feel for it still. Trying out a few different...genres if you will.
Thanks for watching!
[YOUTUBEIF]z0lu1sxdEU8[/YOUTUBEIF]
[YOUTUBEIF]r4b9MZkkymg[/YOUTUBEIF]
[YOUTUBEIF]wuwPSjbbmm4[/YOUTUBEIF]
[YOUTUBEIF]vL0Civ5Clag[/YOUTUBEIF]

Buffetchamp

Hi BP,

:laughing:
Great videos! Love the purple debate. I always get purple stems whether using full spec LEDs or QB's. I had been told I was a cal mag deficiency but the plants have always grown fine regardless. While I'm getting used to icmag if you have any other post or diaries here throw a link in and I'll hive it read! Always learning (when I'm not eating...:yummy:

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 22
Great purple stems video - part two was great. I like when people approach things from a scientific perspective rather than hysteria as seems to be so common these days. People assume way too much rather than being logical as you have shown.

It's hard to believe we have people who think that purple stems are a BIG issue. So much that they raise lights to a point where the lack of intensity causes plants to once again turn green (as you have shown green is a shade/low light response). They're purposely causing the plants to grow slower and stretch more just to achieve green stems. And yet this same person is considered by many an "expert".

Thanks for taking the time to clear this little question up.

OneHitDone

Great purple stems video - part two was great. I like when people approach things from a scientific perspective rather than hysteria as seems to be so common these days. People assume way too much rather than being logical as you have shown.

It's hard to believe we have people who think that purple stems are a BIG issue. So much that they raise lights to a point where the lack of intensity causes plants to once again turn green (as you have shown green is a shade/low light response). They're purposely causing the plants to grow slower and stretch more just to achieve green stems. And yet this same person is considered by many an "expert".

Thanks for taking the time to clear this little question up.
BigPerm's stem coloration seems to be indeed a light response in this particular instance.
That is not the same as what many have seen and are battling. I personally have seen it even under HID light. When the plant just isn't happy / healthy it will get more of a red coloration to the petiole and in bad cases it will move into the stem. These are genetics that I have watched with my own eyes grow out of the red petiole as they regain health and as light levels are increased the color does not return.

BigPerm's stem coloration seems to be indeed a light response in this particular instance.
That is not the same as what many have seen and are battling. I personally have seen it even under HID light. When the plant just isn't happy / healthy it will get more of a red coloration to the petiole and in bad cases it will move into the stem. These are genetics that I have watched with my own eyes grow out of the red petiole as they regain health and as light levels are increased the color does not return.

In the 5-6 years I grew commercially, never once were purple petioles an issue in my garden. They certainly happened, but never lead to any issues even if the stems turned purple or had purple veins. It happened whether I was running CFL, HPS, MH or LED, and typically when intensity was in the optimal zone (45-65 DLI). If DLI was low, they stayed green (20-40 DLI).

I think what we need is a grower who will do a 3-4 way side-by-side with 1 plant in each 2x2 area under a single light. Run one at 500 umol, another at 800, another at 1000 and another at 1200. Watch how they all grow, watch the coloration, and at the end draw some conclusions. This will also help determine optimal DLI/LSP under our spectrum compared to sunlight. But finding someone with a scientific curiosity who would run a test of this nature isn't the easiest lol.

To me the purpling for cannabis is the equivalent of a sun tan for humans. It's not a cause for concern, rather the plant telling you "thanks for giving me proper lighting". Too much intensity will lead to a "sunburn" which is displayed by the leaves rather than stems/petioles. If you see conditions like the image below, that's when your lights are too close.

Light-burn-on-marijuana-plants-600x317.jpg

I can't comment on what you or others might have experienced, but I can tell you that most people are hysterical in their responses. They see purple and immediately assume they have a problem, then they add in a bunch of cal-mag which can actually cause issues when none actually existed. Or they raise the lights which light-starves the plants. If the plant is receiving optimal DLI and is expressing purple, it's certainly not due to excess light intensity. Now if the plants are receiving 80 DLI or higher there could be a cause for concern, but that would require a completely even spread of 1850 umol over 12 hours. The way our lights are designed you'll never reach these levels if using as directed. Our lights peak out between 1300-1500 umol at 12" where we recommend them for bloom (depends on model).

Big Perm

In the 5-6 years I grew commercially, never once were purple petioles an issue in my garden. They certainly happened, but never lead to any issues even if the stems turned purple or had purple veins. It happened whether I was running CFL, HPS, MH or LED, and typically when intensity was in the optimal zone (45-65 DLI). If DLI was low, they stayed green (20-40 DLI).

I think what we need is a grower who will do a 3-4 way side-by-side with 1 plant in each 2x2 area under a single light. Run one at 500 umol, another at 800, another at 1000 and another at 1200. Watch how they all grow, watch the coloration, and at the end draw some conclusions. This will also help determine optimal DLI/LSP under our spectrum compared to sunlight. But finding someone with a scientific curiosity who would run a test of this nature isn't the easiest lol.

To me the purpling for cannabis is the equivalent of a sun tan for humans. It's not a cause for concern, rather the plant telling you "thanks for giving me proper lighting". Too much intensity will lead to a "sunburn" which is displayed by the leaves rather than stems/petioles. If you see conditions like the image below, that's when your lights are too close.

View Image

I can't comment on what you or others might have experienced, but I can tell you that most people are hysterical in their responses. They see purple and immediately assume they have a problem, then they add in a bunch of cal-mag which can actually cause issues when none actually existed. Or they raise the lights which light-starves the plants. If the plant is receiving optimal DLI and is expressing purple, it's certainly not due to excess light intensity. Now if the plants are receiving 80 DLI or higher there could be a cause for concern, but that would require a completely even spread of 1850 umol over 12 hours. The way our lights are designed you'll never reach these levels if using as directed. Our lights peak out between 1300-1500 umol at 12" where we recommend them for bloom (depends on model).
I received the (4) 84x's on May 1st (a day early). I put them in my Sky Lotus tent and am going to run them through harvest which is in roughly 3 weeks.
Sky Lotus (Bodhi)
(4) HGL 84x
Temp: 84f
RH: 55%
12/12 Light Cycle
18" above canopy
Coco/Perlite/Hydroton/Vermiculite mix
Dyna-Gro
pH: 6.2

Day 46
When bumping up my K I forgot to back down everything else and cooked some leaves, huge bummer. Also, Loving these 84x's! It's a lot quieter in the whole room without light ventilation, cooler too.