What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Auntie's Garage Garden

AuntieKush

Hi everyone Auntie here with my first grow.

A little bit of backstory: one of my close friends has been growing for a long time, but had to take a pause recently, so he gave me a bunch of his old gear. I inherited the tent, ducting, exhaust fan, plywood platform, and a watering kit (haven't set that up yet).

I had the tent sitting around for a couple of weeks, and just finally got around to getting the Mars Hydro TS 3000 lights, a Pulse grow monitor, and 9 clones (I paid for 8, but got one for free 😁.

The strains I'm growing:
3x Gelato #45
2x Wedding Cake
2x Cherry on Top
2x Sweet Thang

Does anyone have experience with these?
khKA5zw.jpg

I'm growing them in soil - I used Fox Farm Ocean Forest, a bag of perlite, and a little bit of dolomite lime. I didn't have enough pots, so I had to wash out some of my old pots and transplant some of my random other potted plants. I really hope I cleaned them well enough not to have introduced any pests.

Here they are all potted up:
B3YLDFA.jpg

Here's my tent setup:
It's in my garage behind a big ol tapestry.
fmWTVr1.jpg

I've got it venting out to a perfect port that goes outside of my garage into the yard.

Here's my light & my pulse. Don't mind the box fan in there, I'm getting a couple of smaller clip on fans in a bit.
zG8sha0.jpg

And here's how things are looking:
OycOeOh.png

They're on approximately 18 hours on / 6 hours off. I still have to fiddle with the timer a bit more.

Some questions - are they going to be okay at ~ 50% humidity and about 70-80F? I'm considering getting a humidifier while my babies are so little.

What do you all think? Any pointers and feedback?

kritios

Looks like a nice setup. Does the ducting include a carbon filter?

I can't really answer your question about the humidifier. I added humidity to my tent with a pebbble tray under the plants.

AuntieKush

Hey everyone,

Wanted to update you all on what I've been up to.

I was a little worried about my humidity being too low for such little plants, so I put a humidifier that I had around the house in there.

picture.php

The capacity was a bit low and it required refills too often, so I bought a top-fill humidifier instead.

picture.php

I've gotta say the little babies are looking much happier! Here's some shots:

The setup:

picture.php

New growth:

picture.php

Here's what things looked like while I was fiddling with the humidity. Seems like it's paying off though, the plants really seem like they're taking off.

picture.php

I'm getting some new fans (to get rid of the box fan) and a couple of inkbirds to really get things nice and tropical in there for my babies.

I guess I should top them once they're all looking happy? Any tips?

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
No carbon filter yet - any suggestsions?

I’m in the UK and one of the best here in the EU is CarboAir.. It’s made by System Air who manufacture the RVK fans (German made).

In the US, I think Mountain Air are currently top of the pile. As I’m not in your market I’m sure someone else in the US might have a better suggestion. There’s always Rhino filters but they don’t last as long as they used to.. Personally I’d go with Mountain Air or CarboAir..

I’m not seeing the new pics from your last post.. Have you set the album they’re in to private?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you’re in Canada. Not sure about carbon filters in Canada :)

AuntieKush

I’m in the UK and one of the best here in the EU is CarboAir.. It’s made by System Air who manufacture the RVK fans (German made).

In the US, I think Mountain Air are currently top of the pile. As I’m not in your market I’m sure someone else in the US might have a better suggestion. There’s always Rhino filters but they don’t last as long as they used to.. Personally I’d go with Mountain Air or CarboAir..

I’m not seeing the new pics from your last post.. Have you set the album they’re in to private?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you’re in Canada. Not sure about carbon filters in Canada :)

I'll check out Mountain Air. The album was set to private - I fixed it. Thanks!!!

EvergreenState

The humidity is right, as long as they look happy. What nutrients do you plan to use, if any and what's your schedule for feeding?
Filter is a must, no one needs to know you are growing unless you want them to. Somebody catching a whiff of your grow could spell trouble.
I've never grown any of those strains so I can't offer any advice. Maybe do a search, grow tips and then the name of the strain. There are so many growing sites that something may pop up for you. Good luck! Have fun spending time with your plants.

EvergreenState

Oh and I forgot to mention, that damn DJ's Blueberry messin with my memory, that monitor looks great. It's the first time I've seen one of those. Can you tell us a little bit about it. Price, who makes it etc. Thanks

hellfire

It being a previously used tent, did you clean it before putting plants in it? Might want to inspect it for light leaks before you flower.

Looks good and happy. The inkbird controllers are simple to use and great to dial in temps/rh.

AuntieKush

I'm considering using the Fox farm nute trio, but not for a while.

The monitor is a Pulse One from pulse grow. Costs $199. I freakin' love it, an absolute lifesaver - i can actually tell what i'm doing w/ the tent.

AuntieKush

Hey ya'll! Auntie here with an update,

So I got some more new gear (again)! I'm starting to think that growing might turn out to be more expensive than smoking! Lol. Anyway, I got some inkbird controllers ($70 on amazon), some cloth pots, clip fans (still looking for some better ones than these), magnet hooks and little metal plates.
album.php

The magnet hooks & plates are to hang all of my stuff in the tent. Here's how the inkbirds are hanging. There's a metal plate on the other side of the tent that the magnet sticks to.
album.php

album.php

And a couple of closeups:
album.php

And here's how things are looking. Hint: they're looking pretty good!! Didn't realize growing would be this fun.

album.php

They're getting big so quickly. I'm planning on topping them soon. I'm also considering getting bigger pots (5 gallon). They are in two gallon pots right now. When should I repot?

AuntieKush

Quick Update

Quick Update

Hey ya'll! Auntie here with an update,

So I got some more new gear (again)! I'm starting to think that growing might turn out to be more expensive than smoking! Lol. Anyway, I got some inkbird controllers ($70 on amazon), some cloth pots, clip fans (still looking for some better ones than these), magnet hooks and little metal plates.

The magnet hooks & plates are to hang all of my stuff in the tent. Here's how the inkbirds are hanging. There's a metal plate on the other side of the tent that the magnet sticks to.

And a couple of closeups:

And here's how things are looking. Hint: they're looking pretty good!! Didn't realize growing would be this fun.

They're getting big so quickly. I'm planning on topping them soon. I'm also considering getting bigger pots (5 gallon). They are in two gallon pots right now. When should I repot?

Attachments

• 04162020-1.jpg
    04162020-1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 04162020-2.jpg
    04162020-2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 04162020 combined 3-4.jpg
    04162020 combined 3-4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 04162020 combined 5-7.jpg
    04162020 combined 5-7.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 24
  • 04162020-8.jpg
    04162020-8.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 25

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
if you dont like the cords hanging loose like that you can always use some zip ties to bundle them together
/be sure to leave a little slack so you can adjust different cords as you move the lights or fans
do you think you have the room for the 5g buckets?@3x3
/three plants in three rows
depending on your space things might get pretty tight
how long are you planning to veg them for? expect them to roughly double in size once you flip to flower
if you do decide to top them that would be a good tme to take cuts too so you can preserve your babies in case you find something you really like
things are looking really good and you seem to be having fun
is this your first grow?

AuntieKush

if you dont like the cords hanging loose like that you can always use some zip ties to bundle them together
/be sure to leave a little slack so you can adjust different cords as you move the lights or fans
do you think you have the room for the 5g buckets?@3x3
/three plants in three rows
depending on your space things might get pretty tight
how long are you planning to veg them for? expect them to roughly double in size once you flip to flower
if you do decide to top them that would be a good tme to take cuts too so you can preserve your babies in case you find something you really like
things are looking really good and you seem to be having fun
is this your first grow?

I was thinking of moving some of these cords, and the controllers outside of the tent.

I think I'll have just enough room. The 5g cloth buckets are 12", and the tray is 3 feet. I'll have to see though.

I think i'm only going to veg for a couple more weeks.

I don't really have anywhere (no other tent, etc) to keep the babies - any suggestions?? I'd love to do that.

This is my first grow, but I've got a mentor that's been giving me some tips!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
it would be a good idea to move those things outside of the tent
cloth buckets are pretty malleable so you could probably make it work but you want to avoid over crowding them in your tent
/it gets hard to tend to the plants in the back when they are packed in too tight
if you are interested in taking cuts i would be glad to walk you through it
all you need is a small space that can accommodate a plant tray with dome and small fluorescent light
there are lots of ways to do it but all you really need is some rooting hormone and those spongey cubes you start seeds in
if space may be an issue in the tent, i would take the cuts from the lower branches of the plant
clip them off at the main stem but be sure to leave a few nodes wrth of growth on your new cutting
/this will also open up the lower area, increasing air flow and making it easier to maintain the plants
leave at least two or three nodes worth of growth on the branch and leave an inch or so to insert into the cube
cut at a diagonal on the lowest node and dip that into your rooting hormone then place it into a soaked rooting cube
trim back the larger leafs to minimize transpiration (cut off about a quarter to a half of the leaf)
put those under your humidity dome and mist the whole things really well
/we want to create a humid environment there so the plants dont dry out before they can grow their own roots
sorry if im throwing out a lot of stuff at once auntie and please feel free to ask about anything you want

hope things are going well and you keep up the good work!

AuntieKush

Topping and Mold

Topping and Mold

Hi everyone, Auntie Kush here w/ another update!

So first things first, my plants were looking pretty happy and based on some advice, I went ahead and topped them.

This is what they looked like after the top

I was worried I didn't take off enough. However pretty soon, this was the least of my worries. I go in my tent to check on how they were doing a couple of days later, and discovered THIS:

MOLDDDDDDDDDD

Anyway, I found a recipe for a mold spray (1 tbsp baking soda, 1 tbsp cooking oil, a couple of drops of dish soap to 1 gallon of water) and sprayed my plants after tearing off any affected leaves.

They're looking okay after spraying, but then I went in to check on them 12 hours later and the tips were all greyish/brown on a couple of the plants. I realized that I made the spray way too strong. I used 1 quart of water rather than a gallon.

I was worried when i noticed, but they've since bounced back. I plan on spraying once a week (with a more dilute spray) to prevent the mold from coming back.

Here's how things are looking:

I dropped my RH a bit (from about 65% to 60%), bumping up my VPD from around ~1.0 to about 1.3. The line is jumpy because of the controllers ticking on & off. The plants are a bit bigger, so they can probably tolerate it.

I've been a bit busy, so I'm trying to catch everyone up. More updates to come!