What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Strains for Mold Resistance

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Check out bushbrothers seeds (his website is down for the moment) people have been finding his freezeland crosses with things like purple kush mold resistant but he does lots of those cookies and kush style hybrids.

Many Canadian seeds banks are out of business unless they can get the legalities ironed out. It doesn't look good for seed sellers up here. Expect inventories to be held by seedbanks, if at all. Holding seeds used to be legal, but now one seed=1gr and are considered Cannabis (they weren't before). I don't see a return to direct sales.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Many Canadian seeds banks are out of business unless they can get the legalities ironed out. It doesn't look good for seed sellers up here. Expect inventories to be held by seedbanks, if at all. Holding seeds used to be legal, but now one seed=1gr and are considered Cannabis (they weren't before). I don't see a return to direct sales.

Dude!? Someone needs to fix those rules.

therevverend

Veteran
I don't see a return to direct sales.

I'm not surprised. Once they go legit they aren't going to break the law by sending seeds to the USA. I could see them eventually selling seeds to Europe because seed sales are legal there.

I've been searching for Canadian strains that finish in mid September no wonder I haven't had any luck. Shishkaberry was the best one. Awesome smoke, September finish, big yields, I loved everything about that strain. I noticed Barney's Farm has it but then I have to grow seeds from Barney's Farm.

It's the same thing with the few remaining Canadian seed companies. I see the BC Bud Depot still has the old Canadian September finishing strains but then I have to grow seeds from them. Jordan of the Islands has always seemed legitimate but it's been half out of business for years. They used to have nice stuff. It's gotten hard to find real top quality smoke that's done before October.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm not surprised. Once they go legit they aren't going to break the law by sending seeds to the USA. I could see them eventually selling seeds to Europe because seed sales are legal there.

I've been searching for Canadian strains that finish in mid September no wonder I haven't had any luck. Shishkaberry was the best one. Awesome smoke, September finish, big yields, I loved everything about that strain. I noticed Barney's Farm has it but then I have to grow seeds from Barney's Farm.

It's the same thing with the few remaining Canadian seed companies. I see the BC Bud Depot still has the old Canadian September finishing strains but then I have to grow seeds from them. Jordan of the Islands has always seemed legitimate but it's been half out of business for years. They used to have nice stuff. It's gotten hard to find real top quality smoke that's done before October.

They need a nursery license to produce seeds (and seedlings), but can only sell the up the chain of command. If your prices are too high, you'll suck lemons. Only advanced breeders have a chance in hell at making a living. So expect the LPs to put the screws to the little guy once again.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I can't remember which LP has is but they were selling shiskaberry clones, not sure if it was from the original spice of life seeds but may be worth checking out if you're after that variety.

W

Water-

I see alot of Blue Dream here in Hawaii.

not sure how they pull it off.

probably all from the same cutting being passed around the island

CrushnYuba

There are 3 things that make a plant mold resistant.
Bud structure is #1. More open structure like gorilla glue are damn hard to rot. Even if glue does get some rot it doesn't spread! The rot stays in the individual calyx. Rock hard nugs can't transpire and they will eventually rot.
Vigor is #2. Plants that are easy to keep healthy and green won't rot easily. Rot always starts on dead leaf inside the bud. Once a plant starts dropping leaf from deficiency, there are dead spots. Blue dream has Rock hard nugs but are so damn easy to Keep healthy, they are relatively mold resistant.
#3 is just speed of finishing. Finishing before the bad weather comes.

If you have #1 AND #2 you won't see much rot at all. Gg#4 fits both of those categories. Open structure and Vigor.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Bud structure is #1. More open structure like Original Glue are damn hard to rot. Even if glue does get some rot it doesn't spread! The rot stays in the individual calyx. Rock hard nugs can't transpire and they will eventually rot.
Vigor is #2. Plants that are easy to keep healthy and green won't rot easily. Rot always starts on dead leaf inside the bud. Once a plant starts dropping leaf from deficiency, there are dead spots. Blue dream has Rock hard nugs but are so damn easy to Keep healthy, they are relatively mold resistant.

If you have #1 AND #2 you won't see much rot at all. Gg#4 fits both of those categories. Open structure and Vigor.
I can attest to the GG#4 (Nirvana's Original Glue). 30 plants and maybe... at most... 1oz wet weight of mold. And that was only because the bud was leaning on and touching a tree branch. It was rainy, humid and cold to boot at harvest time. She's a fighter for sure. I'll do her again for sure.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Maroc by Female seeds had some early finishing phenos and very mold resistant, one pheno went through 4 frosts and still finished up early november above 50N with almost 0 mold... not so potent smoke but tasty!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I can attest to the GG#4 (Nirvana's Original Glue). 30 plants and maybe... at most... 1oz wet weight of mold. And that was only because the bud was leaning on and touching a tree branch. It was rainy, humid and cold to boot at harvest time. She's a fighter for sure. I'll do her again for sure.

30 plants from seed or 30 clones from 1 plant?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
30 plants from seed or 30 clones from 1 plant?

100 from seed. Deer ate the rest :(

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CrushnYuba

Id say being on the east coast of Canada, you need something mold resistant for sure. There it's this fine line between an open structure and Larf. The glue clone nails it. Stuff like diesel is to stemmy and larfy for me.
Glue has very large separate calyxes, but no real gaps so its not airy. The buds are round with not much leaf so they run through the trim machine great. Most strains with open structures do not have round buds.
If i still lived on the east coast. Id probably be doing glue depps all day.
I'd probably bee running clones. The variation in seed is probably tough on the east coast

Ktaadn

Bud structure is #1. More open structure like Original Glue are damn hard to rot. Even if glue does get some rot it doesn't spread! The rot stays in the individual calyx. Rock hard nugs can't transpire and they will eventually rot.

The bud density issue is a common misconception. It might be a general rule of thumb, but I've also seen open airy buds that would turn completely to mush in a day as well as buds as hard as rocks without a speck of mold after weeks of rain. Maybe the resin of some strains has kind of a water repellent quality? Whatever the mechanism it seems to be due to genetics but independent of bud structure.

Getaway mountain has some east coast lines that are mold resistant.

Latest posts

Latest posts