What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

starting processes for opening a Colorado retail/manufacturing cannabis shop

Just perusing craigslist in denver you can see several people selling lbs for 2k and offering to sell even more... On craigslist!! if that shows how much the local cops care.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i had a good talk at the high times cup with RD and he said all the big players in CO who already have hundreds of indoor lights are investing in greenhouse/supp lighting. one dispensary just installed 600 gavitas in their greenhouses.. they are actually growing some real high quality GH in colorado which is impressive considering their shitty outdoor climate. i guess a proper heating system can make it feel like california inside when its 0 degrees outside.

I'm saving up all me shekels for some greenhouses!

Yeah, one guy on here.. can't remember the name but he works for a dispensary in cool and runs something like 430 lights in several different warehouses. He said everyone is moving to greenhouse. He said the dude that just recently got raided, VIP wellness or something like that is setting up 800 acres or maybe 80 acres. Either way there's going to be a fuck ton of weed pumped out. It's going to drop prices like crazzzzy. I bet they make that GH just as dank as the indoor here before to long.

Only problem with a greenhouse is in winter if the electric goes out or a heater stops it can cost the entire crop. In the summer the heat can be a problem. If cooling goes out.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
At that level of investment I imagine they'll invest in back up generators.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Yeah, one guy on here.. can't remember the name but he works for a dispensary in cool and runs something like 430 lights in several different warehouses. He said everyone is moving to greenhouse. He said the dude that just recently got raided, VIP wellness or something like that is setting up 800 acres or maybe 80 acres. Either way there's going to be a fuck ton of weed pumped out. It's going to drop prices like crazzzzy. I bet they make that GH just as dank as the indoor here before to long.

i have no idea how VIP is still operating….they basically got caught red handed taking investment money directly wired from south american people linked to drug cartels. the dude hasn't even faced any charges yet…..makes it seem like CO is super lax and aren't on their shit. even the whole green lizard bust where they were mailing shit to florida…what even happens to all these folks!

that dude had 8 freaking dispensaries….i didn't even know you could own that many shops. dude must have an awesome lawyer.

It was the feds that raided him so it's not really that CO is super lax, which they are, but not in this case. Plus the mo of the feds is to build cases until your are almost 100% fucked and have to take a plea, so that could be what is happening.
The green lizard case was dealt with by the state and not the feds so I don't really know what happened with that. A lot of times news outlets don't follow through with what happens in those cases. Also, I'm pretty sure the main dude of VIP or one of his buddies got charged with some gun violation by the feds since he wasn't an actual citizen and couldn't possess guns.

At that level of investment I imagine they'll invest in back up generators.
Most definitely. This isn't some back alley shit.. these dudes have millions to invest and aren't going to fuck off a whole potentially million dollar plus harvest by not buying a ten, twenty, or even fifty thousand dollar generator.

motajardinero

A thing to remember with the greenhouses is they must be fixed wall. Not cheap to set up either, especially with water requirements for something commercial size. Def. need to look into ag. zoning laws & water right issues in prospective sites. CO greenhouse 2014 will be off the hook. Lots of extract exlusive gardens, full plant runs from everyone.

sodalitas

nastynate420:
yeah, you're probably right.
(can't type more right now, got sticky gloves on, yea!)
(better than not having sticky gloves on!)

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
I was looking for a visa, they say i need a speciality thats is not local availebel.

I say i got 20 years expiernce in Rec. use, i know what gets you fucked up, that should give me the paperwork.

ha ha ha

sodalitas

first off

if you need to ask the internet advice you should just quit now before you fail that hard

get your state you live in now to follow CO's law change, and get in on the ground floor, make the change you want to see

DIDM:
OP originally said:
'[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello there everyone. I just moved to CO in the last six months and am trying to piece together a starting point for my self to begin. Any info would be grateful and I'm sure helpful to others. Thanks!'
I've been here for about 5 years, and I absolutely agree that without a hefty 7 figueres in reserve, failure is almost guaranteed.
[/FONT]

sodalitas

(A joke I used to say back in the financial world... To make a million dollars, start out with three million dollars, by the time you're done you'll have a million dollars left.)
I'd say in the commercial weed world, it's times two.

motajardinero

id say high sixes low sevens would be a good number to start with, for a small to mid size MMC/OPC op, with out much padding for fuck ups or extra human resources. If you plan on competing right away so that you dont fall in to the wayside of small neighborhood shops struggling crop to crop, then id start with no less than 5. Buy your warehouse outright, and try to make sure it has some land for green houses. Their property value will only continue to rise for the for seeable future.