What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100w cfl Stealth Grow

GanjaLion

:wave: Hey all, got a 100 watt living soil grow going on in my desk.

The plant on the left is a jack herer I pheno hunted from 10 seeds about 4 years ago. Shes really vigorous and stocks huge buds, I think she leans more on the northern lights side of things.
The plant on the right I actually never flowered before hehe, so we will share the surprise. Its a clone given to me by a friend, looks like some kind of lanky og.

I transplanted them as clones from a small pc box, where I keep my clones. Transplanted and vegged for about 1 week.
They are both 6 days into flower under 70watts of 5500k cfl and 30 watts of 2700k. When the stretch slows a bit, I will swap those bulbs out for a 100 watt 2700k cfl that uses a e39 base.

Looks like the lanky girl started throwing up pre flowers first, while the jack is still making shoots like mad. I didnt want to veg them too long until I know exactly how this unkown plant grows hehe.
Hopefully things blow up in there the next coming weeks!

GanjaLion

Soil

Soil

Just added another layer of worm castings, charred organic banana peels, rice hulls, azomite, rock phosphate, over some crimson clover seeds. I dont think I mentioned yet, they are in 3 gal fabric pots. Only been 3 days since the last pic of the grow so not much changed, this is more to talk about the soil hehe. They are filling out rapidly, start forming buds next week :dance013:

GanjaLion

Dang the pics arent up? I can see them hehe. Everybody has there own strategy, a good percentage of the micro grows I see on here have airy buds from too much light with these leds and destroyed leaves. You can actually hinder your yield from too much light and have slower veg times. So unless your seeing something wrong with my grow, atleast a welcome would be nice haha considering this is my first post/thread. Thxxxx!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome!
Did you make your albums private? if so, then no one can see your pics unless they send you (and you accept) a 'friend request'. Albums need to be set to public if you want everyone to see your pics.

GanjaLion

Its been 14 days since I changed light cycles to 12/12 and 9 days since the first pistils appeared. Looks like the stacking is coming to an end and the cola formation is going to start. I took a few leaves, I dont defoliate very much. Since most of the stretch is over, im cutting most of the blue light. Instead of 70 watts of 5500k and 30w of 2700k. Im switching to 105w of 2700k and 30w 5500k for 135w total.

The jack herer on the left has probably triple the bud sites than the unknown clone on the right. One on right has nodes every few inches even the cola directly under the light, whereas the jack has one almost every half inch-inch. im still checking the one on the right for pollen sacs as I dont know its origin hehe(I took a clone from a friend who didnt have space in the tent for the plant to flower it). Maybe it will turn out to be the dank lol. Dont know how much ill get this run, I usually just run one plant and fill out the space. Unless im pheno hunting sog style

GanjaLion

Clone/Mother Room

Clone/Mother Room

Flowers are starting to form up, Ill post a pic of that tomorrow night probably. For now I wanted to talk about the clone and mother room. As you would expect with this being a micro grow, the mother room is not super impressive hehe. Its a cardboard box with 3pc fans and a 30w 5500k bulb. Its about a foot tall with 2 jack herer bonsai moms and 4 rooted clones of the mystery girl

(sorry picture is upside down I dont know how to flip it)

The cloning technique I use is real simple, cut some tops off the mother. Stick them all in a cup of water with a bag over top for a dome and stick it in the chamber you see above. Just change the water every 2-3 days and keep the temps warm is crucial. Leave the light on 24 hrs if you have to for heat. After about 10-15 days have roots, I have near perfect results with this method no matter what size of the clone. I transfer them to soil after there is significant rooting.

(I shouldve used the flash hehe I wanted to take a pic of the roots)

GanjaLion

Flower Update

Flower Update

Still a long ways to go hehe, the plant of the right that was lanky is flowering faster than the jack herer. Im going to assume she will finish flowering first, but not yield as much as the jack herer.

picture.php

picture.php

GanjaLion

Both starting to produce trichomes and terpenes, although the plant on the right is flowering a decent amount faster than the jack herer.

Ive grown this jack many times before so I know what it smells like, I will describe it for you all though. The smells I get from this jack are really hazy.
The buds smell grassy and spicy with a slight bit of citrus. Really refreshing smell.

On the other hand this unknown clone on the right is almost the opposite smelling so far. Its got a dank myrcene smell, Im sure this one will be a couchlock.
I will be happy to find out! I have a quartz vape waiting to hit them both, when the time is finally right hehe.

picture.php

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good.
How many days do you usually flower the Jack Herer?

GanjaLion

Thanks blynx! This jack herer flowers 10-12 weeks, but closer to 12 is probably more accurate. Which is interesting cause her plant structure is kind of short and squat with many large bud sites, but her flowering time and flavors are sativa

GanjaLion

Flowering

Flowering

Hope everyone is doing well! The Jack herer is slowly flowering as usual, took it about a week and a half longer to start putting on trichomes than the the mystery plant hehe. I think in the long run the Jack here is going to yield more though.

The jacks bud leaves are very narrow and serrated, whereas mystery girl has wide short bud leaves (Ill remember to take pics to show those comparisons next post, right now the lights are off another 3 hours). Flowering steady nonetheless!

picture.php

What do you all think of having strains that flower weeks apart with a micro grow? Think its worth it? or should I just do 1 strain or strains that finish close to each other? I guess I gotta weigh my options and see how dank this new plant is or not hehe.

Looks dense and got covered in trichs early and triggered early with a strong smell. My questions will prob be answered after I smoke it im guessing lol.

q3corn

Nice lookin setup! How long have you been growing in those living soil pots?

As for growing different strains I think everyone's gonna say it's up to you. I've grown a lot of different varieties at once this year and have had a really good time with the depth of variety I get to smoke through, even if the plants only gave me 6 grams each.

GanjaLion

Thank you q3corn! Those living soil pots are about 4 years in. When I started them I lined the bottom with thick plant stalks then covered with soil, similar to a mini hugelkultur.

By now im hoping its becoming a haven for organisms, nutrients, moisture and oxygen down there.

True variety is everything, a strain for every mood hehe. I need to setup another small space soon and do a sea of green. With all the strains I fantasize about, when im stoned

browsing The Vault cannabis seed store haha. Constantly on 12/12. Hopefully Ill get that addition going in the next few months!