What's new

2714W 5 pound CFL MICRO GROW ikea box idea! comments please!

spadedNfaded

Veteran
^^ exactly. As soon as i see someone persuing CFLs and are cautious of headroom i immediately recommend HO flouro tubes. Personally i think the 6 tubes might just be enough for you, but if you can find a cheap Dual-bulb to suppliment, i say go for it!!

- SubN

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Dr Bud yields approx 2.7 g / w dried with CFLs.. i'm not an ass-kisser, but none of you CFL haters can come close to that on your HIDs.. I love HIDs, I worked for a long time for an HID company that actually produced car headlights and other commercial HID lights. Not very familiar with HIDs as grow lights.. I know the benefits to them, but I garauntee you, in that type of cabinet, 1 600w HID light is not going to outproduce even 1000 watts of CFLs. Micro growing is more than lights. If i had a 20 square foot room to grow in, i'd use HIDs. In micro grow, space is just as important as light quality.. HIDs take up twice the amount of space (if not more).. Is the increased light quality going to show in my yield? I DOUBT it.

Why do CFL bashers waste their time talking shit to CFL users? Stay on HID posts if you hate CFLs so much!

This is a MICRO section not a cfl section.

God forbid people help get others to the NEXT level. Many including myself fell in love with dr buds methods and worked them as best we could. Producing great meds BUT in the end guess where we all end up? Do you think it is LARGE cfl grows?

Even MICRO grows include hps and has zero to do with shitting on cfls.

medmaker420

Veteran
1000w of cfls

that is what 23-24 42w cfls or around $230+ give or take minus cfl accessories needed correct?

ok so you are doing TRIPLE that then right.

Add up your costs for this entire cabinet then compare it to an hps SIMPLISTIC setup. If you put 3k watts of ANYTHING in there good luck with temps, zero to do with shit talking but more of a "add everything up" and if you feel it is worth it and can happen then go for it.

Prove me wrong, stay around here for a year and if you are STILL doing cfl's and loving life I will give you a dollar.

C

corkushy

does dr. bud convert his gram per watt for each grow or for each month. for example. 2.7 gram a watt per month or 2.7 gram a watt per growing cycle.

when asuming he grows on a three month cycle 2.7 grams a watt per growing cycle is really only about 0.9 grams per watt. with Jorges convertion meth

medmaker420

Veteran
ok answer me this then

Do you honestly believe you will get ANY of the following? This isn't a shittin on your thread BUT more of a wondering

2.7 x 2714w = 7327.8 grams

seriously from a (Width 38.25" x Depth 22.875" x 90.0" Tall) Cab?

If you could pull off even half of that I would call you GOD.

Why do people get mad when you bring in common sense? Still never got that.

Hell lets call it an even gram per watt

2714 = 96+ zips or 6+ pounds unless my math is damn off.

Did I mess up on my calculations and if not then can this honestly be hit and if so can you link to someone who has done so? I don't think it is down talking the micro grow at all because I love micros and is exactly how I started.

urbanlights

yeah my idea of 2000+ watts of CFLs was kinda retarded.. going with 6-8 flouro tubes in each chamber with possibly an ebb/flow SOG... after reading more, i realize that while DrBUD has crazy grams/watts... its very high maintenance and would be too time consuming..

and to answer the question about factoring time in, the brilliant thing about no-veg growing is that it actually shortens the overall harvest.. with HPS/HID (correct me if i'm wrong im kinda noob) you gotta flower for a few weeks before am i correct? you could build a separate flower room to cut down the time, but that adds space.. something that should be of equal importance in "micro" growing..

im down with HID's if they can make them smaller and cooler. never did i criticize the quality of bud they produced. but MY interpretation of "microgrowing" is an observation of grams/watt or grams/sq ft or grams/cube ft or quality/watt things like this. things that measure the relationship between the quality/quantity of marijuana to size and or time..

if someone gave me an unlimited budget/no chance of getting caught/unlimited space

i would in a heartbeat grow with HID's........ just saying flourescent lighting like CFL's and tubed floros can compete when it comes to MICROgrowing.. growing with effecient use of time and space..

you can put plants closer to floroesent lighting = better use of space period.. i'm IGNORING costs.. yes the billion CFL idea was going to be costly, but better for what i had in mind.

GOAL: find the setup where i can grow the most GRAMS per CUBIC foot in the shortest amount of TIME... if everyone agrees that 5-7grams dried can be grown from those 20oz soda bottles (approx 3" diameter) then why can't tehy see that my system absolutely would produce 5 pounds every harvest (with no flowering cycle, so like 8-10 weeks total) if i could somehow manage the heat? AGAIN, ignoring costs.

urbanlights

and to be clear, i never intended on aiming for 2.7 g/w... i said DrBud achieved that, and so far that's the most effecient micro grow i've seen on this site, period.

you can obviously see in the SUBJECT that my 2000w grow was a 5 pound grow?

medmaker420

Veteran
Ok so 5 pounds from 2k+ cfls right?

Can't wait for the pics then.

Like I said, if you can do it then I will more than happily call you God of Growing

Ok you are shooting for around a gram a watt then? Very respectable number.

5 lbs from a cabinet would be SWEET! as halloween candy for sure
:witch2:

props to the grow and to your future growing my man!

you can obviously see in the SUBJECT that my 2000w grow was a 5 pound grow?

urbanlights

Lol your smug passive aggressive attitude has me thinking you're a wimpy nerd. and your last post didn't even make sense. i never claimed i could grow 5 pounds from 2000watts, its a proposed idea. i was hypothesizing DrBud's SOG method on a larger scale.

and yes, i'm too concerned about the heat/risk of fire to actually attempt this, but you've actually done nothing to disprove DrBud's method of growing..

only thing you've done is somehow convinced yourself that i claimed i could grow 5 pounds out of a cabinet that large..

really, all i was saying was that DrBud could grow 5 pounds out of a cabinet that large if heat issues were not a factor..

but you're lame, probably have no friends and spend all your time picking on noobs like me on ICmag cuz growing weed is probably the only thing you're good at in life.. lol.. GO AHEAD HAVE THE LAST WORD IM DONE WITH YOU FOOL

Dimebagg

Just consider this: Have you ever grown before? Many people on here have, and are speaking from experience. Giving you advice is not bashing you, nor is it bashing CFLs. You sound very, very anti HID, but I can tell you from experience: its alot easier to cool a single 150W HPS than it is to cool 12 23w CFLs. An HPS bulb is not much bigger than a 42w CFL. Almost any HPS can be converted into a remote ballast system with the same amount of skill it takes to wire the cleats for the CFLs. So basically now I have about 20 bulbs laying around that I'll end up using in the sockets around my house.

I can dig what some people are doing with CFLs, but in your situation, with the footprint of the cab, even having a CFL mother clone chamber, and 2 other chamber with 70/150w HIDs, or 150/150w HIDs would be cheaper, easier to cool, and arguably better results.

Drbuds methods work so well because he has been doing it for years, knows this plants very well, and the shape of his cab works with his method.

medmaker420

Veteran
Why are you getting mad at me and how did I say ANYTHING wrong when you title something like this

"2714W 5 pound CFL MICRO GROW ikea box idea! comments please!"

You are the one putting 5 pound micro grow out there like you are going to make it happen. I never claimed that.

I do find it laughable that YOU are getting mad at ME and COMMON SENSE though. Go cry in a corner now if you need to but don't toss threads together with "comments please" if you can't handle them.

btw I am a nerd BUT find threads of me picking on newbs like you and I will apologize and btw I wasn't PICKING on you but simply asking questions and seeing HOW you see your setup making sense.

urbanlights

i may sound a bit defensive and bias toward CFL's but i'm not. i just haven't read anything in this forum or anywhere on the internet about a more effecient way of Microgrowing that DrBud's method. Yes HID's are more effecient in terms of cost/heat/quality but these aren't factors i was considering. which i've pretty much stated 5 times now.

i appreciate that you guys are telling me about HID's, but i don't need to know about the lights. i worked at an HID company and was involved with engineering aspects of design. i need for someone to show me a grow journal using HID's that has produced more weed than Dr Bud in the same amount of space. period.

DrBud's cab is exactly like mine, the only difference is mine is 4 of his cabinets in one, so the heat will be alot harder to manage. the growing conditions are nearly identical except this HEAT ISSUE.

and yes i've decided i cannot overcome it!

but i didn't post this asking whether or not i thought my method would be the best method, i posted asking how i could get my proposed method to work! BECAUSE I DON'T THINK I CAN.

please! i'm not trying to be rude but just clear.

medmaker420

Veteran
one 600watt HPS per level? That's not a bad idea. Would 1 600W HPS be less heat than 16 42w CFLs? Another problem is, CFL's i can just mount right at the top, while HPS takes up a lot more space, and therefore less headroom for my plants to grow.

For someone who worked in the industry you think you would realize that a 600 PER LEVEL would make zero sense, maybe thats just me.

Come on man, you ask for real comments but what you really want is the following

"Just get a computer fan and the levels will be chill as ice, you will get pounds for sure!"

versus the obvious responses. All you have is anger towards me, how dare I spit common sense at you.
:1help:

Also dr buds isn't exactly like yours because HE isn't there doing the growing with HIS knowledge and HIS strains. Yields are strain and grower dependent as well no matter how exact you get it.

If you build it they will come!

It would honestly be a bad ass setup if it ends up working though and I know you would get serious weight IF you can manage the heat. Anything is possible as the dr has proved.

medmaker420

Veteran
please! i'm not trying to be rude but just clear.

I love this statement, especially when your post previous to that one was this LOL

Lol your smug passive aggressive attitude has me thinking you're a wimpy nerd.
but you're lame, probably have no friends and spend all your time picking on noobs like me on ICmag cuz growing weed is probably the only thing you're good at in life.. lol.. GO AHEAD HAVE THE LAST WORD IM DONE WITH YOU FOOL

:laughing:

urbanlights

back on topic:

i've decided to go with 3 ft T5's instead. they save space, and u can have the plants closer to the lights, and they are way less to manage and less heat as well..

i wont get the same amount of lummens/square feet, but the light will be more evenly spread and directed if that means anything..

the shelf i have the work with (i will obviously be mounting the fixtures below each shelf) are about 23" deep. how many tubes do you think i can fit in each chamber? and i know tubed floros run cooler than other lighting methods, but how many can i run simultaneously without creating heat issues?

S

Sir_Nugget

back on topic:

i've decided to go with 3 ft T5's instead. they save space, and u can have the plants closer to the lights, and they are way less to manage and less heat as well..

i wont get the same amount of lummens/square feet, but the light will be more evenly spread and directed if that means anything..

the shelf i have the work with (i will obviously be mounting the fixtures below each shelf) are about 23" deep. how many tubes do you think i can fit in each chamber? and i know tubed floros run cooler than other lighting methods, but how many can i run simultaneously without creating heat issues?

much better thinking, But still not in the right direction, the days of rigging your own cabinet are gone my friend, get on the grow tent, air cooled reflector and HPS bandwagon.. you will need a 4" vortex fan to pull weight from your tent.. you r so far from the tree.. get a 600w hps air cooled light system, and a homebox large or small, with fan and filter, soil, doing it right will save you money, this is all i will help you

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Cabs still look like they belong in a room. I am sorry but a grow tent does not work for security. Sure you can take it down, but I don't have to w/ a cab.

F

farmerred

Would it make sense for you to use both floros and HPS. A 75w HPS is pretty tiny and can be set up to a remote balast. The light spectrum achieved would be superior to either type by itself. I wonder if several low wattage sockets and bulbs can be wired into one high wattage balast. CFL's each have an internal balast, keeping lots of heat inside the cabinet. I do not know about t5's but I would guess the balast is in the fixture.

medmaker420

Veteran
Have a peak at the biax t5's also.

I use them for my veg cabs and they are pretty sweet. I use the 55w doubles per ballast and they don't use much heat at all. You could also have the ballasts OUTSIDE of the cabs to reduce any extra heat they might give.

If you are thinking t5's have you thought about remote ballast style of a setup to reduce heat?