What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

Loriented

And suddenly, our little 'hood was all over the media around the whole world... For shitty reasons, of course.
Saw this on the news. Crazy. Sorry this was so close. I love that you live in Alaska. I vacationed there in 1983. Camped at Mt. McKinley or Denali Park for a week. I was 19, and did not want to go home. I hope to make it back, someday. Didn't get to see enough in the 2 weeks I was there.

moose eater

Saw this on the news. Crazy. Sorry this was so close. I love that you live in Alaska. I vacationed there in 1983. Camped at Mt. McKinley or Denali Park for a week. I was 19, and did not want to go home. I hope to make it back, someday. Didn't get to see enough in the 2 weeks I was there.
Get back while you can. Each year that passes takes us further from the State that we were once upon a time.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I would travel hours to see another.
My wife and I traveled hours to see our first one. It was spectacular; especially the depth of the blackness of the moon shadow that covered the sun.

I saw the corona and Jupiter and Venus.
eclipse small 1.jpg

Ca++

The car companies are being forced to provide the cars the government want us to buy. The government are not making us buy them though.
Climate goals won't be reached, by offering us the choice to take part or not. While not, looks better.

It's simple enough to fix this. The gov fines/taxes the production/import of combustion engine cars. Using the money to subsidise the production of green cars. Then we get to the forecourt, to see the cost of one go up, and the other come down. We still get the choice, and can't blame the manufacturer. Who is currently doing the same juggle themselves. Moving money from engine sales to batteries. Without the legal framework to keep competitive while doing so.

I'm going to switch to e-kick-scooters for a moment. The batteries. If I buy a radio control car/boat/plane from anywhere, I can call hobby king for batteries. I can change the configuration if I wish. The controllers. Servos. Everything. So, my kick scooter needs a battery, and oh. Sorry it's model specific (if I had a scooter, anyway). It's simple fact, that scooters last 5 minutes before their battery see's them scrapped. Your phone has got worse over the years. Once your Nokia battery could be swapped with a spare in moments. Now when it's broke, you likely get a new phone. Cars should be different. No forklift to change the battery that comes in two sizes, but only fit's your model. If they were more modular, the new battery problem would be much easier to swallow in the used market.
Lets say the model z is about to be scrapped, as the 500 miles battery costs $10,000
Would you gut the battery housing to fit a 50 mile $1000 pack.
This sort of retro-fitting is likely to be a real business soon enough. Where the school-run car that never gets further than costa, really doesn't need anything more. At the same time, the local recovery company will have a small truck with a big pack on the back. Like a mobile fuel station. To support the use of cars that have a higher chance of going flat. There is already a company that drives around with a generator, but they should really have a battery for high rate discharge (and a fooking huge alternator to charge it) This is another business about to get going, as recovery fleets realise that taking everyone home, isn't what the people want.

Regarding the battery mod, it should work, but the sneaky manufacturers keep bits of the battery, not in the battery. Or make them overly intelligent, and talk to the cars ecu about temps in corners, they no longer have after a retrofit. It's all about screwing us into that new car buy. The government need to get on this. In preparation for extending the life of a car, with aftermarket parts.

The EV market needs to look more attractive. From initial purchase, right down the line for 20 years+

Dime

EV may be fine for people who live in cities but in Rural areas for anyone who needs to work their vehicle ,drive a distance , cold climates,then add the cost of a home charging station,kw/hr pricing and an upgrade at about 40 amps average and it's a losing proposition. The closest city to where I live they have 20 charging stations ,2 of which have been down for a year for a population of app: 85k,they have emergency diesel generators to charge them and the grid can't handle a full scale ev conversion nor is one being put in place to accomodate. I have a camry hybrid the wife uses and I drive a sierra because the camry won't do anything I need it too. No farmer in my area would consider one to do any real towing,it would spend more time being charged than driven. Here's an article on capability and consumption.

Ca++

Condensing that, an F150, towed for 100 miles.
The F150 does about 250 miles alone.
It does weigh 3 tons though. With it's battery not a great deal shy of a ton. While it has the aero of a barn.

It's a shame they were so bias, with that 40 mile comparison to nothing at the start. The numbers are still frightening though. Why would anybody buy such a thing. It's a bit like the Tesla lorries, that are good for shipping bags of helium. Just not too far though. Some things are just not practical. Like long haul flights. Moon landings. Trip to Mars. We need to keep prospective. Most people commute, and that's about it. They don't need an F150. The only rabbit they see, has a VW badge. They drag around a 300 mile battery, just to avoid charging it every day. That comes around to the grid problem, where people want to charge Friday night. So far though, it's not proving to be a problem. Smart chargers are not watching for voltage sag, to reduce demand. Instead peoples electric meters have their usage rates changing by the hour. With the lowest off peak staged across counties. To stop people charging at daft times, like 5-7pm. But welcoming the 9pm users, while steam pressure is still dropping. It's finally nice to not be dumping power at night, when the ticking-over reactors provide too much.
Still, the 300 mile car is really just to cure range anxiety. If it's a 2nd car, it's probably alright to not be an F150. It could be a Kei car.
220520-02-j-045-source-1653314636.jpg

That's just shy of $14,000 and does 110 miles. Perfect for the kids to soak sticky sweets into the seats. It's the perfect shit-box for the elderly to fetch their meds in to. Though I suspect the Gov won't let the states have one. You will be stuck with $30,000 cars, like the BMW mini (with the same range) and the idea this Nissan is just to inferiour to an F150 to fetch the milk in.
I think even the EU struggles with accepting Kei cars. IIRC they must be 600cc, but if the EU market gets one, it usually get a 1L, or even a 1.3 (Oooow) While the latest Copen even grew out of the allowed Kei car dimensional restrictions. Making it nearly the size of an MX5. Oh wait.. I just realised..
daihatsu-vision-copen.jpg

Lets just hope it doesn't have pedals behind them plastic looking wheels

moose eater

This last trip to Anchorage for medical, I added a narrow 1/8-tsp measuring spoon to my vaporizer gear kit. Totally new ease in loading the thing. Wondered why I hadn't thought of it before. Grind the weed in the grinder, open up the grinder, dip in with the 1/8-tsp. and load into the relatively tiny PAX 3 oven. Really slick.