What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a such thing as enjoying your job?

coldcanna

Veteran
I've had a few gigs in the past that were awesome at the time. Cafe, bar, and a couple others that were fun but the type you make 12 an hour and never move up. Stepping stone jobs if you will. I got into the trades and the money is alright but man most days I hate every minute. Trying to move on to something new. Is it possible to make good loot and enjoy the day at the same time? Or is this just an albatross that I will be hunting forever

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Work sucks. A job you hate is the albatross. It hangs on you, all day. Getting heavier every passing minute, slowly cutting into your neck, the weight pulling you down till you're crawling, barely breathing. Caffeine helps. Oh yeah.. and dabs, lots of dabs. I hit my yocan magneto vape pen full of wax right in front of everyone at work, and they think it's a nicotine pen.

In all seriousness, do you have a hobby? If not, get one that interests you, then find a career or start a business out of your hobby.

Much easier for me to say than for me to do. However, I have a hobby and recently have been getting better at it. It makes work go by faster knowing that my hobby is waiting for me when I get off. I look at my 9 to 5 job (well my 6 to 2 job) as what I gotta do to support myself while I hone my hobby sklls till I can take it on the road.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

if you really enjoyed cafe/bar work then maybe go to one or both of those trade schools, a good bartender (personality/speed/accuracy) should be taking in better than $20ph w/tips from the start, you need to pick the right bar of course.

:dunno:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I averaged 100 an hour bartending. Got to be quick and good with a shit ton of patience. Learn how to pour properly and lightning speed equals tips. And smile like a maniac.

St. Phatty

I've been loving my job.

Developing a 15 acre piece of property.

Spent 5 months dealing with an erosion problem, where high waters from last year's January Feb. rains (the same system that almost brought Oroville Dam down) peeled away about a cubic yard of driveway boulders and left big wet logs in their place.

Basically wallpapered the business end of the creek with metal cloth and a few other enhancements :woohoo:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Thoughts from an old fucker who has been around the block a few times--

1. The best answer is to convert one of your passions to revenue generator. This takes time and is rather dynamic; but remember--what I enjoy today, I might loathe tomorrow.

2. Research. I remember when we had "career day" at elementary school, no one told me there were wine taster or ice cream tester jobs, lol. But I met people that make a six figure income doing just that.

I would start by examining the occupation profiles from BLS (which has occupation's definition, national employment and wage estimates, and industry and geographic profiles). Why investigate a career that pays $30,000 annually when your needs are twice that?

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm

3. Enroll and take courses at your Community College. You will meet new people, learn new things, and more importantly, you will can access their career center programs allowing you to take their aptitude tests that help identify vocations you might find suitable. Lots of vocational training options are available at Community Collegers--without having to pay thousands for tuition.

4. If you like your employer, but not the job...talk to your boss--are better yet, talk with the owner of the company. Explain your situation that you want something you can do well and enjoy, but not sure what it is. You will be surprised with what you will hear; most everyone has gone through what you are going through and have will have an opinion. Besides, you just might find a someone that is connected to mentor you. Of course, if you don't ask...then you will never know.

5. Do not quit until you have a replacement job. When changing "careers", your "character references" from your prior employers will most important. Do NOT burn bridges.

6. Life is episodic. Meaning what you do today, will be a building block for tomorrow. You do nothing today, then don't expect anything tomorrow. Plan on changing careers every 10 years or so...meaning, if you are 30 now and plan to work until 60, you could have 3 potential careers in your future. Plan for them...don't wait for them to come to you.

The happiest people I've met are those that have done a lot and changed careers a few times...the saddest people I've met are those that worked at the same company, doing the same thing for 20+ years.

Hen

It's not the jobs I've done that were the problem, it was having to deal with people. I'm really not a people person. All I can suggest is to switch jobs frequently. Your bosses will hate you, but you might find that golden goose someday.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Work sucks. A job you hate is the albatross. It hangs on you, all day. Getting heavier every passing minute, slowly cutting into your neck, the weight pulling you down till you're crawling, barely breathing. Caffeine helps. Oh yeah.. and dabs, lots of dabs. I hit my yocan magneto vape pen full of wax right in front of everyone at work, and they think it's a nicotine pen.

In all seriousness, do you have a hobby? If not, get one that interests you, then find a career or start a business out of your hobby.

Much easier for me to say than for me to do. However, I have a hobby and recently have been getting better at it. It makes work go by faster knowing that my hobby is waiting for me when I get off. I look at my 9 to 5 job (well my 6 to 2 job) as what I gotta do to support myself while I hone my hobby sklls till I can take it on the road.

OK I'll bite..

You have me all curious here about the hobby. Is it pole dancing?

*Oh....If you have a job, think yerself lucky. If you don't like it, try get another one, or even better make your own job.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
:faint:THE GYPSY???? I'm on I.C. mag brother, you know what my hobby is... Getting an education on here then putting it to use.
I can't believe I'm talking to the founder, a legend! :bow::bow: Let me just take this chance to thank you sir! :respect:
I live in prohibitionland and for years this site was my only source of information. The community that you created has helped me and countless others to grow their own meds, ....and let's be real, get us higher on homegrown than the mexibricks that were around.
I appreciate all you have done, big time!!! Good Luck brother!! Never stop doing what you do.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
:faint:THE GYPSY???? I'm on I.C. mag brother, you know what my hobby is... Getting an education on here then putting it to use.
I can't believe I'm talking to the founder, a legend! :bow::bow: Let me just take this chance to thank you sir! :respect:
I live in prohibitionland and for years this site was my only source of information. The community that you created has helped me and countless others to grow their own meds, ....and let's be real, get us higher on homegrown than the mexibricks that were around.
I appreciate all you have done, big time!!! Good Luck brother!! Never stop doing what you do.

Oh, I don't know why I thought that you were pole-dancing? It just struck me as being funny I suppose. Much better to grow your own meds that's for darn sure, and you are very welcome...

coldcanna

Veteran
For years my "hobby" and plenty of income has come from this lifestyle that we all lead here on the Mag. Most people in legal or liberal med locations can see the black market shriveling up. But for the sake of this thread, I'm not really trying to get into that avenue because I'm sure everyone on here has sold a dime or 2.

I've always had this deep-seated repulsion when I look around at the masses churning along every day for decades punching the clock as retail managers or accountants or whatever.... most people come across as generally happy.... So what am I missing- does everybody have this innate ability to just put their head down and bear it or do people actually find ways to enjoy this mindless doldrum? Am I in the majority or minority here? Ive spent a month sifting through Indeed and the local jobs section of the paper and just can't come to terms with any of it.

I have a feeling that most people on this site prob have similar thoughts as myself because I suppose if you took the risk to make a living like this it prob started with a certain entrepreneurial spirit and a distaste for "conventional" jobs.

G

Gr33nSanta

It is crucial to love your job, it's like 1/3 of your time on this planet, 1/3 sleeping and the other 1/3 entirely up to you. I hate boredom, probably why I am such a stoner.

I could never do the 9 to 5 again, unless it was something I love doing.

If you hate your job, make sure it's a temporary thing, a trampoline towards a dream.

What a lame and depressing existence to hate your job knowing you will be doing it the rest of your life.

Do not live that way people, figure out what you love doing and slowly work towards that.

I can safely say I have found my last career and it is the most awesome feeling in the world.

ozzieAI

Veteran

Yes there is...I feel it is more about what you make of the situation. if you keep positive then things around look better...being negative focuses on only the bad shit...

the happiest guy in my workplace is the dishwasher in the kitchen...he has the shittiest job but is always smiling and being upbeat...he tells me things could be worse...he could have my job....

M

moose eater

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you love doing. As soon as someone starts demanding you do (what ever it is) faster, earlier, more productively, what ever, then it's the human factor that takes a toll on "the things we love to do."

Find a job you can make yourself be proud to put your name on and pays well enough not to be completely immersed in all the time, and keep the things you love more personal or private, a bit further from the demands of the market place, lest the things you love to do eventually become a burden you later resent or regret.

My .02 cents.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I work my ass off 40-55 hours a week and love it! I stay jacked and get to use my brain throwing up some of the most desired structures in my area. Pushing a unit here and there doesn't hurt, for sure.

I feel bad telling people who clearly hate their jobs that I love mine, but most people would hate my job anyway and wouldn't understand. You gotta be a savage to do what I do and get paid well.

OP- try something new...

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Retired after 42 years. Lots of different jobs.

I walked in the door; did my job, then walked out at the end of the day, without another thought about it. :tiphat:

Put on your dancing shoes...Rock the Casbah

Hen

Yes there is...I feel it is more about what you make of the situation. if you keep positive then things around look better...being negative focuses on only the bad shit...

the happiest guy in my workplace is the dishwasher in the kitchen...he has the shittiest job but is always smiling and being upbeat...he tells me things could be worse...he could have my job....
My second job was a dishwasher. It was a pretty good job, because you didn't need to take the shit the staff took from the customers. As a bonus, the restaurant would let you eat the things they were throwing out (if they were about to spoil). During quiet times, the chef would let me help and thus I learned how to cook.

Latest posts

Latest posts