What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

whats the strangest thing you have caught while fishing

DemonTrich

Veteran
a sea gull (flew into my casting line) and a severed shark head at the pier by the tarpon springs nuclear power plant. 25 years ago I might add.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
16ft. Tiger shark off the coast of Okinawa. It was an accident. Damn fish surfaced just as I cast my line.
The hook/line got tangled in his tail. Goodbye, rod & reel.

Bmac1

Veteran
I am so intrigued yet terrified by sharks. I want to see one so bad but I think if I did, I would chum the water with the contents of my colon. I was swimming in Cabo almost 2 years ago now and about a month after I got back, it was shark week and I was watching a show that was talking about them mating off the coast and giving birth in the sea of cortez.

I know full well that sharks can and have been found everywhere, especially great whites but just the mention of it on the tv gave me the chills knowing I was in the same area and in the water.

Ive even looked into cage diving with great whites off Guadalupe Island I think it is. Its crazy expensive but its a bucket list thing for my girl and I would like to but Im not sure I could get on the boat.

Stoned rant over, back to fishing and catching weird shit. I caught about a 18-20lb chum salmon zombie a couple weeks back with my bare hands. It was all spawned out but still swimming upright and as I was standing in the water, just above my knees, this hog swims right up beside me and just stops. I wasnt even blocking the current for him, lol. I rolled up my sleeve and changed hands on the rod and like a ninja, tailed the bad boy. I checked out for a minute and then let him go to die in peace. Huge bugger and didnt even put up much a fuss when I grabbed it.

Bring on the steelhead.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have gotten one fishing rod and reel and a landing net this year...but that's not really strange...no I have never reeled in a shitty rod and reel either...last one was a mantis combo..i don't like the feel of it personally as I am picky about my gear but hey it was free

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
While fishing a lake in east Texas many years ago, I saw a school of shad balling up on the surface,,,Figuring there was a big bass under them when I cast a diving plug lure into the middle of 'em.. Didn't hook a bass, but saw something on a treble hook when I reeled my lure in...Looked closely, thinking it was a tiny piece of weed or trash...

It was a baby shad, 1/8 inch long.
One barb of the treble hook had totally impaled it... Smallest fish I ever caught in my life on a rod and reel!

Last edited:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I like catfishing...but, all I caught was damn Buffalo carp & occasional long-nose Gar. :D

Crappie are fun, too.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mmmmmmmm crappie... haven't been out recently but I just acquired some guerilla tape for my wrist...setting up a few sliding bobbers and then its crappie killing time again....ooh ya the trout is a biting too.....the dji phantom I found got a new home with someone who had a base model and was gonna salvage the 4 way camera mount ,rotors and the rest for spare parts....yeehaw...now that was a strange catch...theres some huge crappie here and I plan on catching some this year.....that one pictured is my biggest so far... time to load up on pain killers, booze and dope and get back at it...my wrist is really fucked and painfull but the urge to get out there is overwhelming me ...biggest catfish so far here is 30 inches...room for improvement but theres only channel catfish and they don't get that big around 50 lbs max..think the record here is like 45 not exactly sure

Borderliner

on one of the streams off the Denali Hwy north of Anchorage strange as it seems caught a game warden. He saw me before salmon season on the stream from his airplane then landed it and drove over and walked up on me. I knew it wasn't salmon season yet so I was rigged for trout and looking at my rig he believed me and let me go. But looking at the submerged little submarines, probably 60# salmon, move by me lead to me coming back during salmon season and I pulled a 58# king out. And that was fairly strange as the biggest fish had ever caught was about 15#.
b

DrFever

Veteran
As for my self was reeling my line in off shore when i tagged a bite put up a pretty good fight for like a 2 pound Muskie anyways was about 10 feet from shore when all of a sudden a huge splash and my tension took off i mean ZINGGGGGGGGGG
after about 1.5 hrs of trying to bring in this fish with 8 pound spider wire line i landed it it was a behemoth of a Muskie weight in just under 48 pounds and over 5 feet long and what was amazing is when i was taking hook out the 2 pounder i first caught was right inside the big ones mouth so more or less 2 heads looking at me hahaha one line throw 2 fish caught

or we could go prehistoric fishing lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Yq8tAK9Y8

meadowman

a buddy and i were fishing for striper in a river under a bridge, only thing we caught that day was a painter that fell of the bridge about 80'.

justpassnthru

Veteran
:yay:I guess a really big fish surely takes a prize for 'strange!' roflmao

Ocean fishing, smallest fish would be the biggest fresh water catch, it is addictive not to mention peaceful and isolating. Nothing else comes close to ocean fishing for me... bigger fish are much more fun to reel in. :biggrin: jpt

Latest posts

Latest posts