What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

gray wolf on column packing pressure

Kief_Sweat

hey extract brothas.

does anyone have graywolf's advice on column packing pressure in their notes? I didn't save it and now cannot find it.

can someone critique my tek and tell me why my yields are so low?

(open blasting trim to make crude for distillate)

running two 90g stainless columns with dewaxing sleeves side by side

packing the columns with a wooden dowel, not so tight that gas comes back up.

I was running the material at subzero temps straight from the freezer after a 1 hour dry ice dewax with denatured alcohol, but my distillate guy said I didn't need to do any of that...What's weird is my yields have stayed the same regardless of whether my Temps are subzero or not.

my yields have been the same regardless, about 15g for every 448g of material.

when I unpack my column, it looks like there's still a lot of keif on my dry material, like the butane didn't touch it all.

can anyone help me increase my yields to what they should be? thanks guys

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey extract brothas.

does anyone have graywolf's advice on column packing pressure in their notes? I didn't save it and now cannot find it.

can someone critique my tek and tell me why my yields are so low?

(open blasting trim to make crude for distillate)

running two 90g stainless columns with dewaxing sleeves side by side

packing the columns with a wooden dowel, not so tight that gas comes back up.

I was running the material at subzero temps straight from the freezer after a 1 hour dry ice dewax with denatured alcohol, but my distillate guy said I didn't need to do any of that...What's weird is my yields have stayed the same regardless of whether my Temps are subzero or not.

my yields have been the same regardless, about 15g for every 448g of material.

when I unpack my column, it looks like there's still a lot of keif on my dry material, like the butane didn't touch it all.

can anyone help me increase my yields to what they should be? thanks guys

If the material is reduced to 10 mesh, I pack about 4.1 grams per cubic inch of column space and if it is 1/2" nugs, about 3.8 grams per cubic inch.

What are the dimensions of your 90 gram column?

Kief_Sweat

If the material is reduced to 10 mesh, I pack about 4.1 grams per cubic inch of column space and if it is 1/2" nugs, about 3.8 grams per cubic inch.

What are the dimensions of your 90 gram column?

Thanks for your response GW. dimensions are 1.5" diameter by 12 inch height. according to that, looks like I should be packing about 87g of reduced material.

not that my packing issue has been addressed, should I go back to running at subzero Temps to maximize yield?

the distillate guy said subzero Temps weren't necessary, but from what I read you think otherwise.

I'm just going to make medibles for dispensary wholesale with the extract from this trim, so would recommend cutting out the distillate guy altogether or sticking with him for a less 'green' taste?

I also emailed you about piecing together a CLS capable of running 2-3lbs of material at a time. I'd like to move to a CLS asap so your expert advice is appreciated!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for your response GW. dimensions are 1.5" diameter by 12 inch height. according to that, looks like I should be packing about 87g of reduced material.

not that my packing issue has been addressed, should I go back to running at subzero Temps to maximize yield?

the distillate guy said subzero Temps weren't necessary, but from what I read you think otherwise.

I'm just going to make medibles for dispensary wholesale with the extract from this trim, so would recommend cutting out the distillate guy altogether or sticking with him for a less 'green' taste?

I also emailed you about piecing together a CLS capable of running 2-3lbs of material at a time. I'd like to move to a CLS asap so your expert advice is appreciated!

What do you wish to end up with?

Subzero extraction minimizes C-30 molecule pickup, which reduces yield some, but increases concentration of the rest of the constituents, by virtue of its absence.

Most of the C-30 molecules aren't untasty, with the plant waxes being bland and the anthrocyanins being glucosides, so plant sugars and sweet, plus the flavonoids. Some incredibly tasty, and some not so much.

Chlorophyll on the other hand tastes greeeen, and in concentration promotes gastric upset in some brothers and sister women.

The green in severe concentration and thick films, also blackens the concentrate, making it unappealing to customers. You can detect its presence by making a smear of the concentrate on a white paper to see if the black is really dark greeeen.

The anthrocyanins darken the extract, but are dark amber and not typically off putting, other than the most popular concentrates are light blond (with skinny butts and huge lungs).

I'll look for your email.

Kief_Sweat

What do you wish to end up with?

Subzero extraction minimizes C-30 molecule pickup, which reduces yield some, but increases concentration of the rest of the constituents, by virtue of its absence.

Most of the C-30 molecules aren't untasty, with the plant waxes being bland and the anthrocyanins being glucosides, so plant sugars and sweet, plus the flavonoids. Some incredibly tasty, and some not so much.

Chlorophyll on the other hand tastes greeeen, and in concentration promotes gastric upset in some brothers and sister women.

The green in severe concentration and thick films, also blackens the concentrate, making it unappealing to customers. You can detect its presence by making a smear of the concentrate on a white paper to see if the black is really dark greeeen.

The anthrocyanins darken the extract, but are dark amber and not typically off putting, other than the most popular concentrates are light blond (with skinny butts and huge lungs).

I'll look for your email.

GW,

I followed your packing principles of 4.1g/cubic inch but still had about 10-15g left over once the column was full and packed pretty tight. I'm trying to avoid the butane shooting back at me from being too tight... any thoughts?? I made sure it was an even pack and packed it down with a dowel.

Also, do you have a rule of thumb regarding the number of cans to run per oz packed? I've been running until it's clear and no longer sticky, but still seeing keif on my spent material.

Kief_Sweat

I just wish to end up with chlorophyll free extract for medibles so I will follow your advice on polishing extracts by dissolving in eth and filtering with a buchner.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW,

I followed your packing principles of 4.1g/cubic inch but still had about 10-15g left over once the column was full and packed pretty tight. I'm trying to avoid the butane shooting back at me from being too tight... any thoughts?? I made sure it was an even pack and packed it down with a dowel.

Also, do you have a rule of thumb regarding the number of cans to run per oz packed? I've been running until it's clear and no longer sticky, but still seeing keif on my spent material.

Was the material reduced to 10 mesh before packing at 4.1 gm/in3?

About a can per foot of 1" column when we were open blasting.

I don't see you ever achieving good efficiency with a 1 1/2" single pass tube, because you can't control the flow path, but you might try packing a diffuser plate over the material and packing a couple coffee filters on top of that to control blowback.

The butane must reach the trichomes to extract them and with that large a diameter tube relative to the flow, unless your are flooding from the bottom, you will never wet all the material.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're Bxxxxxxx350@ XXXX, who emailed me at graywolfslair1@gmail.com, my reply was returned as an invalid address twice.

I'm only hitting reply, so not sure what is wrong.

Kief_Sweat

sorry GW, Im not sure what's going on! I'm going to email you again with all my email addresses so they don't bounce back.

Kief_Sweat

Bump - Graywolf can you post your email reply to me here? I've been checking my email and SPAM folder every day but haven't seen anything from you.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you get the last one? It didn't bounce.......