What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Merle Haggard

armedoldhippy

Veteran
damn, hate to hear that. always liked ol' Merle. him & Willie made some good music together over the years...

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
read it it just in this moment, how sad!

The Willie Merle Cd is running in my car since 5 month o something

MTE5NDg0MDU0MzU0MDM2MjM5.jpg

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man, what a legend....and died on his birthdate.

I'll forgive him for his lyrics:

".....We don’t smoke marijuana in Muskogee
We don’t take our trips on LSD
We don’t burn our draft cards down on Main Street
We like living right and being free...."

51G0HTVi8bL.jpg

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Remember seeing him on the Smother's Brothers Show at that time, 1969 or early 1970.

Had to look it up to get the gest of it....

"So, here’s Merle Haggard with a song that jumped from No. 30 to No. 7 on the Hot Country, uh, Singles Chart of Billboard.” Smothers feigns a cough and, after covering his mouth in mock politeness, mimes taking a hit off a joint. Finally, still holding make-believe smoke in his lungs, [Tom]Smothers chokes, “Ladies and Gentleman. Merle Haggard. ‘Okie from Muskogee.’ ” Smothers fake-releases fake smoke and grins....."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...th_tom_smothers_after_sly_and_the_family.html

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that song caused more problems than you'll ever know

Yeah, I remember his song, "We don't smoke marijuana".....'twas in Fall of 1969. It was a protest anthem where I grew up. People loved it or hated it. Either way, it created a verve, hitting a nerve.

We belted it out on bus rides home after school or in the hallways after 6th period. I was a high school freshman at that time, we singing our own lyrics to the song:

" We SURE smoke marijuana in Alba-tur-key.
We also take trips with blotter LSD.
We've been known to burn our draft cards on the mesa,
We like livin' right, and bein' free....oh yeah, yes sah,
We like living wild, loose & free."

Ahhh, those were the days.....good, bad, indifferent. "We" thought we could change the world.

His fame skyrocketed "Okie From Muskogee," an anti-hippie song that came to be embraced by conservatives. Supposedly in interviews the song started out as a joke and a character study and that it did not necessarily reflect his views.Haggard often told interviewers he was not political but his songs showed he was certainly opinionated and a libertarian thinker.

His songs will resonate again. Saw him perform 2 yrs. ago....glad I did.

Latest posts

Latest posts