What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
@rocker Welcome bro! 12 posts in almost 10 years, that's epic level lurking :D

celebration-celebrate-001-512.png

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hey,looks like we might have a new friend posting!
what up rocker, im know that part of san diego like the back of my hand
i can remember when the n.county was considered "the country" and my friends said it was too far to drive
those were the days brother! uncrowded surf and trails that went on for miles
/ we used to be able to ride pq canyon all the way from my moms house to the beach back in those days
now even leucadia is being built up and it feels more and more like just another part of socal
that was crazy about the kid getting bit, a friend was at becons that day and said he heard the screaming, but figured it was just some kook
welcome aboard bruh, stick around and feel free to post up
this is a really cool bunch of guys and i hope to see you around
/do you have anything growing this season?

hey fiddy, catch those waves while you can brother!
ive surfed cold water plenty of times but never had to worry about frost forming on my whiskers!
we used to suit up and ride to the beach in our wet suit so we would be totally warm before getting into the water
i would also bring a bottle of house temp fresh water in the truck to rinse off with after the session, it felt like heaven after sitting in the cold water
ive never plucked a lobster myself, i usually only go about 10-20ft down freediving
anything deeper starts to hurt and you run out of air before you can really explore
/ i can stay under about a minute or so depending on how much im exerting myself
plus the california lobsters have these sharp tails that they will get you with when you grab them so you have to be careful
growing up i only remember a few shark attacks, but in the past few years there have been two
/the last one was when a tri-athathelete was attacked in solana beach
there are big fish out there and i heard that the native population knew to stay out of the water during the fall when the big fish migrate from down south up to nor.cal
i remember surfing the same spot the kid was attacked once and loosing my board
it was washed all the way to the beach and was lodged in some rocks at the base of the cliff
when i get out to retrieve it, i find this seal carcass there with a chunk missing that was as big around as a garbage can
even tho it wasnt fresh, it freaked me out
now i have to get back on my board, paddle out around the surf and then swim about a 1/4mile down the beach to where the trail was to hike out
you are more likely to get hit by a lightening than being attacked by a shark, but that dident make the swim out any better
i used to love to ride the sponge and we would go to places like the wedge in newport to ride the shore break
we have a spot like that here in san diego called marine street that is a blast
i got pretty good at it and could ride the barrel deeper than ive ever been, plus i can do tricks too
ive been dragging my feet about getting some pics but will try and get that done here soon

im wiht you fish, im all about the high
the more psychedelic the better
the strain i have is called fruity jack and is supposed to be a 2/1 ratio
(20%thc/ 10% cbd)
im interested in seeing what its like and cant wait to get some seeds popping

rocker

Hey PR,

So cool you know North County so well, I moved from OC in the early 90's so I know the wedge too, fun times in my youth. My sister in-law who got to N.C.SD in the 70's tells me about Encinitas blvd becoming a dirt road as you get closer to what is now Rancho Santa Fe, much has changed but still beats LA, my birth place.
I plan on making up for lost time, so you should see me around. My thread on my grow is a play on my 3 sons, My 6 girls ,
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356453
Haven't figured out how to put the thread in my signature yet.

Thanks for the welcome, and I am looking forward to growing as a a grower and adding to the forum, as AP pointed out, I did quite a bit of lurking but this is home.

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.

@pop_rocks. For sure brother. Today's surfing was canceled due to not enough waves but is rescheduled for tomorrow morning. The wind is switching back around to the east and tomorrow should be 6's or so. The only thing about this before work surfing is that I've got to get up way too early and we don't get a lot of time out there. Maybe I'll get a couple pics of us and our boards tomorrow. Water temps are about 60 right now so I shouldn't get cold in my thin wet suit. By the time the surfing gets really good the water is in the 40's and the air is often below freezing. If I want to get into this I'm going to need a thicker suit, hood, and booties. And a board of my own. But for now I can rent a board and see if it's for me.
I hear you on not diving too deep, my sinuses hurt if I go below about 10 -15 feet too.
I think shark attacks must be more common up north of the Bay Area than down by you. I seem to remember hearing about sharks and beaches being closed due to attacks. The cold water up there must have something to do with it. Great whites seem to love that shit. That must have been crazy when you found the seal with the huge chunk out of it. I'd be leery about getting back into that water if I saw some shit like that too. Like you said there a higher chance of being struck by lightning but tell that to someone who got attacked and see if it makes them feel any better.

@rocker. Your grow is looking good brother. I like to lift my pots and when they are light they are ready for water. Most plants seem to like a good wet/dry cycle. It's all about finding what works for you in your particular environment.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that would be rad if you could get a pic of you and the crew with your boards,f'nut!
i hope you have a better time of it this time around, 6' is still good stuff but now you know what to expect
yeah, white sharks are an apex predator and there are more shark people encounters that you would believe!
https://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm
but if you think about how many people are in the water on any given day across the california coast the chances of seeing a shark are pretty slim; ive spent decades in the water and have only seen sharks a few times
/asides from going to the shores and swimming with the leopard sharks
but ive been spooked on more than one occasion and have even paddled in a few times
im sure there are wild animals in wisco that you dont want to tangle with, but when you go out into nature, you are playing on a different field
so you got any plans for the weekend man?
the kid is working pretty much all weekend, so its just going to be me and the mrs at home
our plan is to make a bunch of good food and watch a bunch of bad movies sat while smoking as much as we can!
sunday will be about football, and my nephew might stop by

glad to see you posting rocker
i think editing might be one of those things you have to have so many posts before you can do it
but you are on your way and i hope to see you around, brother
hey feel free to cross post here about stuff you got going on in your other thread if you want

rocker

Pop Rocks, The editing is a earned thing, and I'll get there. I'm like you grew up in So. Cal been going to the beach my whole life, it's why I live where I do now, but I only think, I saw a shark, My Boy and I were sponging in Oregon one year, cold as fuck, but we thought we saw a fin, both of us, but could have been our imagination too, but we got out right away, other than that only on boats way out from shore are the only sharks I've seen. Lot's of good food and bad movies sounds great, my wife and I are known to binge watch a Saturday away on occasion.

Fiddy, thanks for taking a look, I am excited, just peaked in on them before lights out and day 4 of flower has them really stretching, might need to incorporate some LST. I have read that lifting them to judge weight is a good practice, along with a schedule to determine watering needs. I have been trying to let them go to dry, I am kind of afraid of over watering, I have done that to house plants, lol. So far so good, it's been about every 3 or four days so far but imagine that will change with growth. What do use to feed your girls when they are flowering? I was reading up on the soil mixes and tea's last night, but I think, I recall you mentioning keeping it simple, if with a common fertilizer whats your NPK of choice? Thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated.
Sounds like you are lake surfing? I have read up on that, cold water is a tough one for me, but hats off man. I normally trunk it till the low 60's, I hate wet suits, but use them more and more as I get older, haha. But 6 footers are a fun size, and they would push you around pretty good if you go over the falls though. Pics would be awesome.

Rodehazrd

Hello Jungle Tribe
I have been using my new led in veg for a couple weeks and am starting to see what looks like a mag def. in some clones that I don't see under the clamp lights. Can more intense light spectrum cause this or Is this Oaxacan weed giving me visions?

packerfan79

Veteran
Hello Jungle Tribe
I have been using my new led in veg for a couple weeks and am starting to see what looks like a mag def. in some clones that I don't see under the clamp lights. Can more intense light spectrum cause this or Is this Oaxacan weed giving me visions?

I had issues with my led initially. I had to up my feed. The guy I got mine from told me to feed around 1.8 ec. I didn't go quite that high but upping my feed to 1.5 ec did the trick for me. I still use t5s for seed popping and early veg with seed plants.

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.

We've just about made it through another week guys. After a couple of very early mornings this week I need some relaxation time this weekend. Badgers, packers and Brewers games will keep me entertained.
What an exciting game to start the baseball post season yesterday. It was looking like the crew was going to shut out the Rockies untill the 9th inning. The Rockies are a scrappy team with a lot of fight and they weren't going down that easy. After the Rockies scored 2 to tie the game up in the 9th the Brewers were unable to score in the bottom of the inning and it went to extras. Brewers fans who thought the game was in hand felt the momentum turn. But the crew are scrappy and never give up either. We used our last quality pitcher in the top of the 10th inning and he kept the tie intact. With 2 outs in the bottom of the inning the crew got a hit to score and win the game 3-2. I hope today's game is another good one.

@pop_rocks. So we went surfing again this morning but it was really rough out there. The waves were big and there were no breaks between sets, just wave after wave. I only got out past the break once and I was wasted tired by the time I did. I felt like I was able to swim out 5 feet and the wave would knock me back 10 and repeat...repeat. We just ended up staying in where we could walk out and surf the foam. It was great fun and excellent exercise.
You make a great point that so few people actually come face to face with sharks compared to how many are in the water. That said I'm still glad that there arnt sharks here and the only things I have to worry about are cougars and bears, which are much more likely to run away from you before you even know they are there.
I'm with you on watching sports and eating good food and relaxing this weekend. I'm wiped out and need some rest. Thinking about doing a Texas style BBQ brisket on Sunday.
Here are a couple pics from this morning. The first is the lake from up on the bluff. It's hard to see but the sun is just about to rise over the lake. The second is just the boards and my new ride. The last is the park where we surf at.

@rocker. The streach always freaks me out a little, I've had plants out streach my tent a few times and had to get creative. LST is a good way to avoid that. I've gone to the extremes to avoid overwatering too and found that it's better to water a little early than to let the plants get wilted a bunch of times. I think I caused hermies in my first grows from drought stress. Judging by the weight of the pot is easiest for me but if you scrog or use other training it isn't always an option. Water my 5 gallon pots about every 2-1/2 - 3 days when my girls are in full flower after the streach. You just have to experiment a bit to see what works in your set up.
I've been using the 1 part PBP grow for veg and PBP bloom (soil) for flower. It is supposed to be good stuff with a lot of bat and bird poop in it. I am far from having a good handle on feeding my plants. I seem to have better luck keeping them a little deficient and feeding light then when I've tried to push the feeds up. PBP= pure bloom pro.
Lake surfing is a lot of fun and I hope to do more of it. I'm not a fan of the cold either, but there's no choice if you want to surf locally here. I've got a pretty thin suit so it lets me move around but I need a much thicker one for the winter. Not sure if I'll be out there in well below freezing conditions. I lived in the SF Bay Area for a few years in the late 90's and the water up there was always really cold it reminded me of the Great Lakes.

Fiddynut

Hello Jungle Tribe
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.

Are the clones rooted or rooting. If they are still rooting or just rooted the roots might not be able to keep up with the demands from the more intense light. I need to keep my t5's about 3 feet off my cloner or my clones start to "eat themselves" after a few days.

rocker

Hey Rodehazrd, HMM my rooted clones show what I thought mag def too, I have them under a 600W Platinum LED, my thread is called my 6 girls, they are looking better now after a couple weeks. I thought it was hot soil, but maybe it was the LED? Either way it seems to have corrected itself as the claw and waxy leaf look has gone away. So have others had what looks like mag def with LED's?

Fiddynut - Thanks for the game summary, I missed it being at work, I did see on my phone it was 2-0 in the 8th and yep assumed it was in the bag for the Brew Crew but glad to hear the Rockies gave em a fight, looking forward to watching them go at it this week-end. I grew up watching Robin Yount, as I lived in Orange County and was a big Angels fan at that time, he was so good, for so long.As you may have guessed, Baseball is my favorite sport, it is summer to me.

I'll look into the PBP stuff, thanks. I last grew in soil about 20 years ago, a lot has changed, soil seems so simple after hydroponics which is nice. I was thinking that if I do some LST, maybe I would anchor down to the cloth pot, poke a hole and attach a ring or Carabeaner, that way I could still lift the whole pot to move around, but might be dicey once the flowers get any weight in them.

The lake surfing looks cool,(no pun intended), I know what you mean about getting winded trying to get past the breakers, and if there are no sets, just endless waves that would be one hell of a work out. Nice thing about a lake, no sharks or jelly fish either, hell my brother got a nasty cut from a sting ray this summer here in SD, you have none of that to worry about, what a relief. I was on my SUP last week-end, I had not learned about the shark attack yet, but i was still freaking out at dark spots in the water triggering my imagination, lol. I had a couple seals come check me out, one went under me which I did not care for to much, but he was ok, just a curious critter that disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

Have a good week-end everyone.

My 6 girls - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356453

Rodehazrd

Thanks Fiddy
The clones rooting are under the screw in led's the veg section with the new light is where the issue is with a lot of white tips and veins. Its like the more intense light causes the issue to show. I even checked my runoff ph (6.5), I am using a cheap peat instead of the promix I normally get but I added lots of myco and lime to it. Just gave an epsom bath to them we'll see what goes down.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening guys?!?
we have made it to another weekend and im ready to enjoy a couple days off
the girl will be working pretty much all weekend so its just going to be me and mrsChicky tonight
that looks like a fun spot to surf, fiddy! whats the bottom like, is it sand/ rocks?
one thing that makes paddling out easier is getting good at duck diving; as the foam ball approaches you, do sort of a push up on your board and then point the nose of the board down and push it under water
once you get good at it you will be able to actually dive under the water a few feet
even lightly pointing your board down and ducking under will allow you to let the wave sort of roll over your back so you aviod the brunt of the impactand as long as you dive deep enough you will pop up on the backside
if the waves are a touch hollower the better! they will actually bounce when the lip hits the water and there will be this pocket that you dive into to avoid the brunt of the waves impact
thats cool that you guys rode the inside and got to catch some fun waves
that is a sweet new car you got man! it looks comfortable and roomy and i bet it gets good mileage
/whodat' riding shotgun?
ive been thinking about getting a new car for the past 10y! but the old battle wagon just keeps on going
texas style bbq sounds awesome and would be the perfect food for a easy sunday on the couch
what kind of sides do have in mind?
we are going to make cheese/ chili enchilada casserole tonight and some beef tacos for dinner
i like the casserole because we can take the leftovers to work, and beef tacos are just fun to eat
tomorrow my nephew is coming over to watch the football with me and we were thinking about frying up a bunch of chicken

put your feet up fellows and freshen your drink! its going to be a fun weekend

rocker

Hey Fiddynut - Your Brew Crew is doing a number on my Rockies, I was glad for Jhoulys Chacin though, he is a journeyman pitcher, was with the Rockies when I lived in Colorado, and he pitched for the Padres last year, I have a soft spot for underdogs. One more win on Sunday and they are on to the NLCS. I'll root for them to win it all then but I am still hoping the Rockies make this a more competitive series.
On a personal note, I am taking a photoshop class today and next Saturday too at the local cc, so maybe my pictures will improve, one can only hope.

Badfishy1

Gotta piss on the jelly fish stings. Mmmhmmmm that’s the ‘cure’. Took a couple jelly fish stings to the face a few years back pulling traps and NO, NOBODY PISSED ON MY FACE. Every 5-10 years we get flooded with jellyfish. Hasn’t seemed so bad the past few years but that’s probably because of all the red tide (thanks Big Sugar). As far as sharks go, fuck em! I worked a shark boat for a few years. After seeing what comes in, yeah I don’t swim any more. I believe in karma and Kind of feel Mother Nature owes me one for taking all that we did. Honestly, shark fishing is the reason I won’t longline any more. The incidental catch is more than I was comfortable with. Commercial regulations KILLED a lot of fishermen, especially the gillnet ban, but I feel old fishing methods were unsustainable. One of those necessary evils I guess

Fiddynut

Happy Saturday friends!

I hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start!

@rocker. Game 1 was close and exciting but game 2 was a nail biter for brewer fans. The final of 4-0 didn't tell the story at all. The game was tied 0-0 for the first 3 innings and then it was a 1-0 Brewers lead. The Brewers didn't get the 3 runs untill bottom 8th. The Rockies had a lot of guys on base and it always felt like we were one pitch away from giving up the lead. Those guys have a lot of fight in them. Rockies fans have a great team to support and the team seems well built to contend for years to come. It's not unthinkable for them to come back and win out to take the series either. Brewers fans don't often have much to be happy about that his time of year and the excitement level here is very high. Chacin is a great story and has been a really solid pitcher for us this year. Our new GM has caught lightening in a bottle with a few players this year that we picked up.
I've had best results with the PBP but I only tried a couple other things before switching to it. I still consider myself a fairly poor grower especially when it comes to feeding so be carful when listening to my advise. All kidding aside, I get lucky and my plants put out for me but I've got a long way to go before I can say I've got a grow dialed in and plants healthy the whole grew.
Your right about the sharks and jellyfish. I got stung by a jellyfish in Florida when I was young, those fuckers hurt. I've got a SUP too and was thinking about taking it out in the surf sometime, I've only played on the flat water with it so far. I think I know what you are talking about with the seals last weekend. When I was in Florida a few years ago I was kayaking and this dolphin kept swimming up to me and under the boat. Every time he would swim under me the boat would go up,and down with the displaced water and it was freaky to think that if he wanted to he could have me in the water and I'd be helpless. I know they aren't supposed to be aggressive but they sure are powerful.

@Rodehazrd. I think that more intense light will make plants show their weaknesses and deficiencies. Let us know how the mag helps.

@pop_rocks. Atwater is a great spot, a lot of stairs to climb back up after surfing but a nice park. The beach and bottom is nice and sandy with just a few small round rocks here and there. That "duck diving" method sounds like a good one. I guess it's all about how much surface area the wave has on you and your board. I will try it next time I go out. It sounds like it takes a little practice to get the technique right. I think I saw my buddy who I went surfing with do something kind of like that. He rolled over so he was under his board and went through the wave like that.
I'm really digging my new car. As much as I view cars as something I need for when it's too shitty to ride the motorcycles I know I need one and it was time to grow up and get something reliable. Besides its too hard to carry a surf board or mtn bike on the motorcycle LOL. That's my guy from work riding shotgun. He is the same kid from work that I mtn bike with a little and felt good about being an old guy and his 20'years old ass having a hard time keeping up with me. He is the only guy I know here that surfs.
If I do a brisket I'll certainly do some BBQ beans and maybe a cornbread side as well. I'm still trying to avoid a lot of extra calories with a lot of extra apps and sides. Still eating good just a little less. I got a lot of exercise this week so I can splurge a bit tomorrow. Chili and cheese enchilada casserole and tacos sound great. Just mentioning frying up a bunch of chicken has my mouth watering.
I hope you have a great weekend!

Badfishy1

Dolphins are cool animals! Historical accounts of keeping humans alive after boats capsize. I’ve had wild dolphin come up and ‘play’ while out swimming. Pretty neat animals. Have also seen them jumping out of the water in the wild like a sea world show. Definitely amazing creatures