What's new

EOTWAWKI - End Of The World As We Know It. Your plan?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
What's your plan? If everything we know gets turned on its ass, what preps have you made?

Here are my thoughts and plans.

So far, I've studied electronics engineering, union electrician, framing, plumbing, basic mechanical engineering, hydrodynamics, basic combustion engine design, principals and maintenance. I've also studied fluid dynamics and chemistry enough to undrstand the basics of fuel extraction and the way it combusts.

I've also researched waste managment and water filtration, management, and collection.

I've studied metallurgy, including forging, alloying, and am currently learning general metal-working (turning and casting).

The goal: Totally self sustaining existance with a retention of quality of living.

In other words, the rest of you can go back to caveman tech, and I'll be a god! :D

Seriously, its pretty obvious that I feel the generation and use of electricity is invaluable. With what I've learned, I can generate, transform and harness lightning :D

My plan:

The house is, for lack of a better definition, a Hobbit house. Totally subterranean, but only about 6 feet of soil over top. Basically, a chunk of hillside is removed, a rammed earth home built, then back-filled to bury.

This gives me a naturally controlled environment without having to invest much, if any, power into climate control. This reduces power consumption drastically. It also allows for the storage of many staples without refrigeration, think "root cellar".

Electricity will be combo-sourced from hydro, wind and solar. Our area is prime for hydro, and nominal for other methods. But, when one fails, another takes over. If it's pretty, I get some hydro, some solar, and some wind. Stormy, no solar, but loads of hydro and wind, flip it for drought conditions. Worst numbers I've run show that I'll be able to run at least 14 days of light in the house (LEDs, natch). Of course, to do that, we'd have to shun hot water, and appliances :D To be fair, that would mean every drop of water was gone, no sunlight reaches the earth, and not a breath of wind wheezes. If its like all that, you ain't got a dog in the fight anyway, and I look like a wizard when my cold light still works :D

Emergency/peak power would be provided by a diesel generator, which, conveniently, also welds. Diesel rules the day for motors in that situation, IMHO. Flex fuel will be prominent as well. With diesel and eth engines, I can grow my own fuel.

Waste management, IMHO a much overlooked concern, will be handled thru a Humanure system, with an artificial wetland for grey water. This allows me to realize an automatic fert generation system with an environmentally friendly byproduct. Humanure fertilizes the field, grey water (shower/bath/dish water) creates a ready wetland, feeding stocked fish (primarily catfish for their high fat content), and wetland fowl.

For freshwater, spring-fed local source. A damned spring will act as a freshwater reservoir for both drinking and utility without preventing downstream flow.

Basically, a self-suffecient farm, like grandmaw would know, with a 21st century twist. I grow electricity too :D

Needless to say, I've studied multi-crop systems, complimentary crops and organic pest control. Just to clarify, I'm not suddenly converting to the "organics are uber and only", but in a EOTWAWKI situation, its all that is sustainable.
:
There are more details, like mix of flex, diesel, and electric vehicles (all types, I did mention the pilot lessons, right?).

All in all, I'm aiming to preserving electtricity. In my opinion, light-on-demand has had a more profound effect on civilization than is appreciated. Preserving thos knowledge I believe is paramount. If for no other reason than increased productivity.

Given the skillsets I've obtained, and the ones on the way, I feel I could maintain and create new equipment for power generation, and pass those on to my kids.

Way I figure it, even if we never have to self sustain, I'll at least rest easy in the long sleep knowing my kids have an Eden should everything go to Hell.

What are your plans, IC? What is it you're preserving for the Next First Generation?

BTW, since it is bound to come up, I place my bet on a massive solar storm that blasts the earth with such force that every unshielded electrical circuit fries. Its happened before, and not too long ago (1800s). Today, a storm of the same intensity would cause Trillions inn damage, with a minimum of two years to restore power to the major cities.

That assumes the cities would still be livable, of course. The current consensus is that we have a 72 hour society. 72 hours makes most foods inedible. When it comes down to food.... Well, we ARE animals... Did we say 2 years without power? Fuck two years, if you're still kicking after a week, you're probably in the top 10% of the human race. And you're probably desperately lonely :D

Let's hear it IC! What have/are you preparing for, and how?

nugghead

I plan to die with many others in the early food riots. Of course, I'm a crack shot, plenty ammo stored up, and I'll probably eat food others have grown for a while, taken by force, few weeks or so, but eventually someone will shoot me in the head and steal my can opener.

No real wish to participate in the reformation of society from scratch, get pushed around by strongmen and thugs, watch my wife and daughters get raped and impregnated.

Kind of hoping it doesn't happen, be honest with you.

joeuser

I plan to die with many others in the early food riots. Of course, I'm a crack shot, plenty ammo stored up, and I'll probably eat food others have grown for a while, taken by force, few weeks or so, but eventually someone will shoot me in the head and steal my can opener.

No real wish to participate in the reformation of society from scratch, get pushed around by strongmen and thugs, watch my wife and daughters get raped and impregnated.

Kind of hoping it doesn't happen, be honest with you.

A pragmatic approach indeed!

G

Guest 88950

AMMO & GUNS.........you will never have enough for you scenerio.

chech out Earthship homes b/c they are off-grid proven and a good place to start.

copper wire for diy verticle axis wind turbine or any motor you need's down the road.

solar storms, eruption of yellowstone sv, magnetic pole shift.........all are possible in the future so it never hurts to prepare and if it doesnt occure youve lost nothing.

H

h^2 O

You can always make Ur own ammo. My weapon of choice would be a harpoon gun spring operated, use it over and over. I would definitely try to find a nuke and launch Roman candles at it. I know how to fly, so that's a plus. Surround the property in razor wire and landmines. Take over a wall-mart.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
I place my bet on a massive solar storm that blasts the earth with such force that every unshielded electrical circuit fries. Its happened before, and not too long ago (1800s). Today, a storm of the same intensity would cause Trillions inn damage, with a minimum of two years to restore power to the major cities.

lol, I certainly didn't see that prediction coming.

Budweiser13

See with the internet and television these days people's brains are getting to fucked with this dooms day shit. NiteTiger roll a joint and just relax I think we will be OK for a long time. All this 2012 dooms day bullshit is just Y2K all over again. Oh and Anti will probably stop by this thread he likes this kind of stuff. It's funny with the poor economy right now it seems more of this gloom and doom stuff pop's up. We will be long dead before this world blows up they say the SUN is only half it's age and hey why don't you post some hard evidence to that 1800's stuff be cool man....Stay High...:wave:

vta

Veteran
What's your plan? If everything we know gets turned on its ass, what preps have you made?

The boys and I are hittin the road

road-warrior-car.jpg

L

longearedfriend

In other words, the rest of you can go back to caveman tech, and I'll be a god!

I think it's a great idea, very inspiring... but... right now, no money, no nothing.

I was just not born at the right time. So I will have to trust the universe.

nitetiger, it must cause you a lot of stress thinking that the world is gonna come to an end

H

h^2 O

come on solar flare!! Only thing that would suck would be that there's no internet...not sure how to handle that. Other than that, fine with it.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
I like your style niteTiger.
As my growing skills improve I will yeild more, but for now I intend to grow everything I eat. I'm not there yet, but sometimes it's babysteps.

It will take time and money, but i will add solar panels, etc whatever it takes to generate all the power I use and sell the excess back to the power company.

When I grow all my food
generate all my power
gather all my water (via rain, snow)
recycle all the water and treat all my sewage/waste

If the bleep hits the fan, or the grid crashes, it will just be another day.

My average day already resembles what life post crash may be like.

mtbazz

I'll be raping, pillaging and plundering...

Seriously though, as "out there" as this sounds I really don't think it would take much to bring about at least a partial collapse of civilization. Don't think it could happen?? Anyone here of the dinosaurs? Something wiped them out, and it was probably something we would not be able to prevent. Personally I think that some of the younger people on this forum may live to see a partial collapse of society due to economic failure, that will basically widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots, with the "haves" probably living in walled compounds or cities while the rest of us are left to scavenge and fight over their scraps.

In any case one should always be prepared to be cut off from society due to storms or natural disaster. It is not at all paranoid that you should have on hand enough bottled water and food stores to feed 3-4 people for a period of two weeks, along with something to cook with.

For myself, my goal over the next 2-3 years is to look at ways of becoming more self sufficient.

O.P. If you really know all that stuff and can put it to practical use your one smart dude.