What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage (Aged) Herb

M

mosca negra

What's up everyone? I wanted to ask everyone here whether or not they have put some herb away(either on purpose or by accident) in storage for any extend period of time.

I did this with some 2005 Award Winning Motavation, Warlock, Rez's Sour Diesel V3, and Strawberry Diesel. Found over a QP of some of the FINEST smoke I have ever experienced. :jump: :jump: :jump:

My all time favorite smoke is 2+ year old "Aged" Motavation. I accidently stored some away after winning the 2005 IC Cup Indica Growers Cup and recently found this treasure that was completely sealed and smells like a Fine Vintage Wine(Herb). The Warlock and Sour Diesel we also OUTSTANDING!!!!

I think you can tell a lot about a strain by how it keeps after a period of time(Aging). Maybe we should start a thread discussing the different aged strains and their fine aspect. I have never seen read a discussion on this subject... Thoughts?

Luckily, I still have a lot left... :muahaha:

Mosca

O

otherwhitemeat

I found a Z in the back of my closet when I moved, my estimation is that it was there for over a year. It was vacuum sealed with a foodsaver and the weed was superb, like the day it was sealed. I don't know if it was better, but it was a nice find. It was 'Granddaddy' from a CA dispensary. Well cured, gorgeous stony bud---one hit wonder.

Would love to know how you're sealing yours? Jars? Foodsaver?

I have about 15 G's left of some awesome Uptown Haze from about 6 months ago. It was just kept in an old, cleaned out peanut butter jar when I opened the jar, it smelled AWFUL. Almost as if the weed was spoiled, no pungent skunky odor...just like rotten weed. I checked it under my pocket microscrope and there's no mold at all. When I smoked this, all my buddies say it's DEFINATELY stronger then when I stored it back in Feb/Mar 08. Go figure...We had a one hour lively (stoned) debate on weed storage....

I haven't seen any definitive answers here...would love to see what others say in this thread though.

Marcellas

Veteran
a long time ago when i was younger i when i was selling buds, i would throw in a few grams from every ounce or qp in a mason jar.. it was all good buds, the worst i had was beasters (only a few times) and i never threw that in the jar. i picked up personal chronic (homegrown strains like white widow, og kush, lemon skunk, blueberry, pineberry, northern lights, ect..) that i paid more for and thew some of those buds in my jar too.

..after about 1 1/2-2years my mason jar accumulated to over a quarter pound, about 118 grams of bomb cured nuggets!! i realized i was getting to big, quit selling, and smoked this 2 year-cured chronic bud for about 7 months straight every day, taking an eighth out every few days to a week.. :rasta:

it was great, smoking amazing cured buds for free for months and months!! i miss that big mason jar.. lets see some pics :D

SweetNightmare

I saved a couple small nugs all together for about a year for a friends bday in a plastic container in a mason jar adding a moist wad of paper every once in a while to the lid held by tinfoil with a couple holes... Nugs were sooo dank

C

csedge

Alright lol this is alot weaker then ur guy's stories but i put a quarter of this stuff i get called the hog away in a mason jar only for storage tho. I don't really do curing with it, i just dont like it to dry, you know? But anyways i put it in the jar and forgot about it for almost a month. The next time i got a batch of the hog i looked for my mason jar not thinking their was a qtr already in there and found a quarter of cured hog. It was so much better but i just dont have the patience to do that everytime lol

This happened to me before with about a half ounce of a local NE strain called Green Fruit. I had about 4 jars filled with it and the smallest one was hidden really well...so well that I completely forgot that I had it. So I freak out and think I'm dry so I completely tear apart my room and behold I find a jar stuffed to the brim, after about 5 months of additional curing on top of the few months I had already cured it. The smoke was still outstanding and the bud was so perfect, it shed trichs like a dog sheds its coat. Every bowl I packed looked like I threw white kief all over it. Sigh... I wish I still had that strain because it was the ultimate in relaxation. The best part about that jar though was the 3.2 gram nug I had in there of a rare pheno of Jack Herer. Buried at the bottom I find this thing and get so excited. Raw musky earthy tones with this tiny sweet hint of limeyness. Outstanding taste and high, very balanced and the duration was great.

Stay puffin,
SC

F

Foxy Trees

Hey together :wave:

Mosca negra - really interesting topic you come up with, absolutely!

I stumbled over a few grams of MOD's Dreamgodess lately. Must be a year, even more, since I last grew them.. The cured buds were sealed in a jar which i must have stored behind some furniture, no idea why.. Maybe this all happend in a state of extreme mental stimulation, I tend to forget some things, sometimes.. :bashhead:

The smoke/taste this unexpected, well cured buds produced was remarkable.
A taste of strawberries was pretty evident everytime you inhaled, and the high was very clear and inspiring..

The idea of storing some of your personal favourites for a long time is a very good one, for sure !

I plan on building some nice storage box for special things to keep for a long time, myself...

It's definately worth to let your meds cure for a long time in an undisturbed way - patience is the key, as usual :joint:

Great thread !!

Kind Regards - Foxy Trees -

Last edited:
M

mosca negra

Thanks Everyone for your posts!

My newly found TREASURE Trove was sealed in Dutch plastic bags similar to Foodsaver bags. They preserved the buds just perfectly that once opened, the buds were slightly soft to the touch, with no mold, and a beautiful golden hue to them! The Smell on the Motavation, Sour Diesel V3, and Warlock was in a word--HEAVEN.

Will look for pics-- anyone else got any?

Cheers!

motofox16

I had a friend that we thought we were dry one day so we decided to go looking through some of the old cupboards, sure enough, back in the back under some burned out HPS lights there was a small jar of some train wreck that had been in a jar for over a year. Now i'm not totally sure because over a year is hard to remember exact tastes, but I really had never tasted train wreck so strong. It blew my mind. It makes me want to cure all my buds at LEAST a year just to get the full fledged taste out of it.

Also i wanted to talk about mason jars vs. foodsaver. I've always loved the jars, perfect smell and keeps in taste, anyone use foodsaver bags think they are better than mason jars?

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
05 - durban poison, calio, seattle blue, jedi
06 - jedi, urkle purple, garberville purple, trainwreck, snowcap, romulan, g13, mikenus
07 - Sour D, purple, Lemon Diesel, blue goo, afghooey. there use to be more but... we smoked em.

then theres the hashes.... =)

B

British_Bulldog

I smoked 6 year old Neville's Haze a couple of days ago, and it was awesome!

Maybe it had lost some potency over the years, and the bud was brown, but it tasted sublime and still had a great high, even after all that time.

Really guys, you could smoke this all day, and you'd be in your element...trust me :D

W

Wunderkind

hey Papulz, I think we need to hang out sometime. :rasta: That's some collection you have.

Nice score, Mosca. Running extremely low on sensi, myself. I read the thread earlier and thought, "man, I wish I could just forget about some bud."

So I'm scraping together a joint before I go to the movies and while looking for a pencap to stuff in the ends, I came upon a stash of NL I forgot about! :jump: Not nearly the size of your score, but it was certainly a sight for these eyes with a dwindling supply. :joint:

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
well well timely thread.

my collection is all at least a year and 8 months cured in mason jars. There used to be 33 jars, but some are empty now, probably 25 jars with a bud or 2 left.
The sour diesels cure very well, much smoother with all the flavour.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
would you hate me if i said i really dont like to smoke on mine even? i find pot itself has too much extraneous matter to it.

trainwreck seems to get smellier with time... wtf is that about.

Last edited:

peterpan

Veteran

4 year old F13 sooooooooo gooooooooood. it just gets better and better. Thats agreed to by everyone one that has toked her.

M

mosca negra

What up All? Thanks for everyone's posts!.

Good to see ya around TF!!! How you been bro?

I think we LOVE our herb sooooooooo much we all find it hard to "stash" some away for later-- a year or two later, let alone a week or two later. lol

By everyone's comments, there seems to be some strains that "Age" better than others. Albeit the way the herb was stored or just the way each individual strain keeps over a long period of time.

I have found out that some of the 5 strains I forgot about (stored for a long period of time), some did have more Mature or developed flavors versus the same strain that had a more recent cure.

Also, the intensity of the aged bud does seem to take me to a more stratospheric high versus younger aged buds.

I do remember Soma once saying he thought herb had to age at least 6 months before reaching its full potential. I tend to agree with Soma on this point but I now believe some pot get even better over the longer curing timeframe. Maybe Soma could chime in and share his thoughts on the subject!

Thoughts & Experiences?

G

grapepunched

OK, so after being directed here by Mosca, I'm glad to see that this thread is underway. I have smoked many buds that sat in a jar for a couple of years... One of my BEST friends in the world saves all of his pot in these large pickle and artichoke jars... Every time he gets some new strain, he plops it all in the jar to sit there and cure out to his liking. He always saves his pot for as long as possible, and every now and then we take a swat of some truly cured weed (1.5 - 2 years!). We have smoked some DutchPassion Super Haze that had been curing for over 2 years, and the HAZE flavor seems to have really stuck out. It seems that FINE herb is IMO not much different than fine wine in that the longer it sits undisturbed in a controlled enviro, the BETTER the quality gets... That SuperHaze was already great, but the green smells and the chlorophyll is totally GONE it seems (none in taste or smell of the pot that we could discern....)

We also smoke some FINE Black Domina that was 2 years old... tasting sharp and rich, a very aromatic fragrance of hashy spicy FUNK.... It also seemed to have attained more flavor!

We have smoked many cured purples and kushes/chems/diesels... Seems all of these strains really benefit from the longer cure, the smoke is smoother and truly more enjoyable, and the taste is top-notch!

If you can keep from smoking it, CURE IT! You won't be sorry!!!
We could take a hint from the Afghanis... They find it INSANE to smoke any hash that hasn't been cured in a jar buried under the earth for at least a year! Now THAT's HEADY!

-gp

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
For me it is the chemical smelling strains that reveal themselves over time. In the case of my durban poison, moth ball smells in flower turned into a woody-anise flavor months later. Legend's Johnny Blaze goes from medicine smelling to menthal lemon-berries after a month. My 6mo+ old double strawberry diesel does not smell like weed to anyone. I bet a drug dog would think it was ice cream..... Ok, that's enough rambling. I totally agree; a long cure, accidental or not, is a very good thing.

How many of you are vaping old weed?

Do people cure before they make hash or do you cure the hash?

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
i make my bubble with fresh trim thats frozen right away but the trim can remain in the freezer for a long time, just made some sage2o thats been the freezer about 2 years. haven't made enough of my own(my trim) bubble to get around to curing any for any longer than 2 months and its hard to notice a difference when smoking the same bubble on a daily bases over a few weeks.

wish i had more bubble to test curing it but alas growing at that scale is severely frowned upon
:(

Latest posts

Latest posts