What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can any 4 LEDs match 4 600w sodium lamps?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hiya,,
Just asking for a definitive answer to the above question,,,
As my new run indoors in veg starts I am aware of the likelihood of very hot weather again.
Even with air con ( Moby ) ,it was a trial last year as the air con takes humidity out and pulling in air when temps in the high 80s/90s outside makes it a lot of graft,,
so low humidity presents a whole new set of problems ,,,
Are there any LEDs that can put out the same or near as much power as 4 600w sodium’s ? , and help keep the room cooler,,
Unable to have proper air con units fitted at mine,,
Any accurate reply’s much appreciated,,,944s2:tiphat:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Good question^

Im willing to say there are many options that beat a 600 in output/watt and still run a lot cooler. Especially if you dont mind hanging lights closer to plants

Only for example im running 480w solstrips over each 4x4' bed (12 strips) through the night time, total in the room is like 1600w of leds over 24 sqft.. this is a sealed room as well with co2.. but i am covered by an ac in an adjoining room but it doesnt matter because it hardly has to come on and the co2 sensor just compensates and the loss is negligible.. hung around 12" im getting 700umol..

The difficulty im finding is getting them powerful enough to replace a 1000 without the heat of a 600.. just have to invest in more as i go and progressively dim them all down into peak efficiency. Its worth the money trust me..

There are many many options now that can be tailored to your space its just some of the premade options are priced at the top end of their value when hou compare it to the simplicity of sticking some diodes or diode strips or cobs on a heat sink and wire a driver to it i find it hard to pay out.. Also premade lights with the exception of individual cob lights are generic and not many grow rooms are the same.

Many companies use optics/lenses as well for user convenience which so they can narrow the beam making a high bay light with greater intensity and penetration but also wasting energy as heat and lowering diode lifespan potentially.

A par meter is a must. It should be anyway i f'ing love mine..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Good question^

Im willing to say there are many options that beat a 600 in output/watt and still run a lot cooler. Especially if you dont mind hanging lights closer to plants

Only for example im running 480w solstrips over each 4x4' bed (12 strips) through the night time, total in the room is like 1600w of leds over 24 sqft.. this is a sealed room as well with co2.. but i am covered by an ac in an adjoining room but it doesnt matter because it hardly has to come on and the co2 sensor just compensates and the loss is negligible.. hung around 12" im getting 700umol..

The difficulty im finding is getting them powerful enough to replace a 1000 without the heat of a 600.. just have to invest in more as i go and progressively dim them all down into peak efficiency. Its worth the money trust me..

There are many many options now that can be tailored to your space its just some of the premade options are priced at the top end of their value when hou compare it to the simplicity of sticking some diodes or diode strips or cobs on a heat sink and wire a driver to it i find it hard to pay out..

Many companies use optics/lenses as well for user convenience which so they can narrow the beam making a high bay light with greater intensity and penetration but also wasting energy as heat and lowering diode lifespan potentially.

A grower without one is like a Dr without a stethoscope :biggrin:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
what dimensions are the grow area?

Hey Jamal,,,
Room is 12ft long by 10ft wide and around 10ft in height,,
Contains 10 in acoustic exhaust and a 10in Rhino pro filter on acoustic ducting with a moby air con unit and oscillating fans,,
So around 10ft by 10ft growing area, in a residential building albeit with very thick walls. ,,,s2:tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it possible to air cool the lights separately from the grow?

With 10 foot ceilings I'd probably go with CMH as a primary light and LED's as supplemental.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good question^

There are many many options now that can be tailored to your space its just some of the premade options are priced at the top end of their value when hou compare it to the simplicity of sticking some diodes or diode strips or cobs on a heat sink and wire a driver to it i find it hard to pay out.. Also premade lights with the exception of individual cob lights are generic and not many grow rooms are the same.

Thanks SOG,,
I am totally useless at practical electrics and building stuff ,,,( my peeps do that stuff)
I run seed grown plants in 10 litre pots of all mix,,,
Multi variety in a residential building,,,
Noise and odour are paramount and tha room is properly dialled in,,
Don’t use beds mate,,,
same way organic. grows for last 18 years,,
Not concerned about cost but it must be a simple plug in and use,,,
Can 4 leds match the power of 4 sodium’s whilst keeping the room cooler or even six leds that can match the power of 4 600w bulbs,,,?
Peace and regards s2

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it possible to air cool the lights separately from the grow?

With 10 foot ceilings I'd probably go with CMH as a primary light and LED's as supplemental.

Thanks Got Bud,,
Effect would be minimal and not worth it,,
Unless I drilled huge holes in the wall in a listed building lol,lol,,s2:tiphat:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
i am using 4 to 1 socket adapters that concentrate 6000 lumens on 6in rockwool net potted in deep water 3 gallon buckets filled with bubbling organic fertilizer at 850 ppm..

getting better results than my 600 watt blockbuster or bare bulb hps.

using 1/2 the electricity and cooling costs...

harbour freight 24 bulb outdoor strings with 4 to 1 adapters...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

phenotype expression of any strain must be dialed in...

finding the elite genetic to DO it to....PRICELESS.:tiphat:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Hlg 550 is an easy option.. that will woop a 600 in many regards.. there are a couple options for eu sellers..

Apart from initial cost you'll wonder why you waited so long when you fire it up..

DunHav`nFun

i am using 4 to 1 socket adapters that concentrate 6000 lumens on 6in rockwool net potted in deep water 3 gallon buckets filled with bubbling organic fertilizer at 850 ppm..

getting better results than my 600 watt blockbuster or bare bulb hps.

using 1/2 the electricity and cooling costs...

harbour freight 24 bulb outdoor strings with 4 to 1 adapters...

View Image

View Image

View Image

phenotype expression of any strain must be dialed in...

finding the elite genetic to DO it to....PRICELESS.:tiphat:
Hey Medfinder…...So you`re runnin 96 screw in bulbs with the plastic cutoff in what size room....also.....still tryin ta figure out howta use all the bulbs with em being that close together in the 4 n 1 adapters......thanks in advance.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …..

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hlg 550 is an easy option.. that will woop a 600 in many regards.. there are a couple options for eu sellers..

Apart from initial cost you'll wonder why you waited so long when you fire it up..

Lost,,
Do theses leds penetrate deep down in to the plants,,,,:tiphat:s2

J

jaded1

Penetration is very good with them and light spread is a lot better than a 600 hps 944

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Hey Medfinder…...So you`re runnin 96 screw in bulbs with the plastic cutoff in what size room....also.....still tryin ta figure out howta use all the bulbs with em being that close together in the 4 n 1 adapters......thanks in advance.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …..

avoid ceramic bulb bases...to much heat 60 watt rated single bulb drop on 14 ga outdoor black wire

96 at 14 watts..1340 watts. max.

of course there are lower wattage bulbs and smaller strings.

ive found a 15 amp runs the pumps lights and a 6in fan with 75 watts to spare.

i used to use in winter 2 light mover 600watt bare bulb...with ac...double bill not as much smell taste and trichome and terp out put for some reason

harbor frieght 12 string..coupon 16.27...20 3 gal buckets 28 dollars...24 net pots 112 dollars...pumps 62 dollars..6 in roickwool 135 dollars...nutes...50...bublbs both 5000 and 2700 k 68 dollars..

around 600 bucks...42 ounces? trim and cured..low balled in socal at 2200 an lb.

knowing a great clone monger is essential if you dont do your own seeds

hmm..gushing...

picture.php

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So after endless research and talking to the two hydro shops I been using for over 16 years and forum members ,,the information about Quantam boards,,, ceramic metal halide,,leds etc
So even a quantum board etc that can put out 600w will be as warm as the equivalent 600w sodium,,,
Now looking at concentrating on a very large humidifier that will bring the humidity up
and let the air con and exhaust look after the temps,,
Pretty sure some will disagree but I wanted 4 leds to replace 4 sodium’s,
all 600w and units must be plug and play,,
main purpose to bring temps down,,
,NO supplemental lighting just a straight 4 unit plug and play swop ,,,,
Not possible I now believe but I stand corrected if proven otherwise,
Thanks for reading ,,,,s2

HLG 550's run around 140-160 degrees from my recording. With four of these heats minimal in comparison with the four 600 watt bulbs I was running.

popta

For the much lower price of one plastic curtain, a second timer, and potentially one more piece of air duct, u could split the room and flip-flop the lights. You've just cut your cooling needs in half.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For the much lower price of one plastic curtain, a second timer, and potentially one more piece of air duct, u could split the room and flip-flop the lights. You've just cut your cooling needs in half.

That’s something I considered much earlier but a busy residential building that’s listed and listed trees also so Gardeners tending to that a few times a week,,,
Ever smelt a moby air con unit that’s ducting out a big indoor run?
No protection like a big old 12 in Rhino filter just a stench of pure unadulterated cannabis that during the day would gets us a visit in about 20 mins lol,,,
Hence,,,lights only runnable at nights,,,
Great bit of practical advice for a newbie though popta ,,,
Cheers s2:tiphat:

yts farmer

Veteran
That's a tough question to answer.

There's plenty of ppfd etc info out there but not much translation into grams per watt.

I did see 1 guy actually state he gets 12.5 zips of top quality dense buds per fixture when he uses grownorthern telos 0010 and those fittings are 300w each, so that equates to more than 1gpw. He did say he probably could increase his yield with some training though.

@£520 a fitting its quite a high initial outlay but youll never need to buy replacement bulbs.

Peace.