You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > Cannabis Seed Storage

Thread Title Search
Cannabis Seed Storage Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 AM #61
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond repute
Get you one of those food containers that seal at Wal-Mart. I didn't pay much and it will hold a lot if needed.
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 PM #62
romanoweed

romanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to behold
i heard the same for a CHEAP AND EASY TO BUY SOLUTION

i too lately heard These Food Containers, the ones with rubber between, were Holding Pollen for 7 Years viable!
I think i will also take this cheap solution.
I wanna also seal it with Silicon extra. Silicon should be waterresistent, i think should be Airresistent too? Atleast there is no extra danger in it..

I will add Risecorns just 1 third of the amount of Seeds . Should be about the right Amount, no?
romanoweed is online now Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 PM #63
q3corn

q3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really nice
I've only been storing my seeds in plastic bags in a tote. Always in a dry place, but sometimes it would get in the 80's in the summer. I thought so long as the seeds were kept dry they'd be ok for a while. Now that I've read through this thread, I'm wondering if I messed up some by storing that casually.

I just threw some of my oldest beans, which are about 5 years old, into some paper towels to try to germ, to test if I messed up or not. My seeds from the last 2 years are the ones I'm sprouting regularly, and they're doing fine. But this made me a little nervous. So I'm gonna try to reassure myself that I didn't mess up.

With that being said, if I plan on keeping these seeds for 10+ years, should I just change to an airtight container? Or is the 2nd step of putting them in the fridge that important. I can't guarantee that they'll be kept under 80F all the time, so maybe the fridge is the best choice... What do you guys think?
q3corn is offline Quote

Old 02-13-2020, 02:55 PM #64
romanoweed

romanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to behold
I have to correct my Plans

today i was going to buy Silicon. And i found out its probably a bad Idea. CAUSE this Bathroom-Silicons were all containing FUNGIZIDE AND CHLOR . This may be very risky if they enter the Container.. So, more possible Risk than Advantage. I didnt buy it .

I just have my definitive Cheap and easy Solution

- Go to your next big Store, try out this Foodcontainers directly in Store trough pressing Air out while closing them.. Then open them after one Minute. Some hold the Air for this Duration, you can hear a Airsuction-Sound. I found two models where the Airsuction was nearly same after a Minute then after a couple Secounds. Im confident. Bought two instead to minimize risk of one leaking.

- You can extra wrap seeds tightly in Thin-foil i read , someone had good Results! I just would probably try to wrap the Foil around some Spaceholder out of plastic NOT CADBOARD(cause moisture) to conceal a certain amount of Air SINCE i hear some saying tightly packed is not good, and some others say to much Air is not good, i will go for the middle.

Happy reproducing!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 AM #65
gladysvjubb

gladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud ofgladysvjubb has much to be proud of
I put a Boveda packet in each jar and then refrigerate them.
gladysvjubb is offline Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM #66
romanoweed

oh, stupid Question: did any one wrap Seeds sucessfully in Aluminium-Foil or was it Plastic? I seem to misstook the Word Tin-Foil. I googled the word now and saw alluminium instead suspected/misstranslated thin plastic foil..

I think i rather use plastic anyway, no?

OOH and i read exactly now , if you place Platic-foil into freezer it wouldnt hold together nomore. They say the static Friction wouldnt stay in These Temperatures. Sounds like my desired Effect of plastic-fol wouldnt work nomore then. Mammamia.
What should i doo. I just have TupperWare, enough?

Just wrap it tight, then duct tape..

Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM #67
Veggia farmer

Veggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really niceVeggia farmer is just really nice
maybe a little of topic, dunno, but had a thought. If we somehow managed to come together as community and make something like this seed vault in Norway/Svalbard. Long shot, but hey, we have lost some good strains/landraces over the years. Who knows what we want tomorrow? Some people miss some old school lines.. Just an idea

https://www.google.com/search?source...10.qOIhUHZ-qPY

https://www.google.com/search?source...10.qOIhUHZ-qPY
Veggia farmer is offline Quote

Old 03-24-2020, 03:13 AM #68
Bradley_Danks
Puffin Herbs

Bradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of lightBradley_Danks is a glorious beacon of light
Anybody have problems storing seeds in a mini fridge? I am kind of nervous about storing seeds in a mini fridge compared to a standard full size fridge. It seems like mini fridges can frost up, hold moisture, and have fluctuating temps. If the seeds are stored in an airtight container like a mason jar im guessing that might not be a problem though but not sure so wondering if someone with experience can speak on it.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 AM #69
herbgreen

herbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant futureherbgreen has a brilliant future
mini fridge is kept cold by the freezer

temp by freezer is colder than lower down

use digital thermometer keep eye on it

keep tray under the freezer in case defrost

use water tight containers desiccants

make sure the temp where your seeds are match what you want
herbgreen is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:40 AM #70
acespicoli

acespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really niceacespicoli is just really nice
I have used a mini fridge in a lab for many years once it becomes unpredictable it would need to be repaired or replaced there are some good repair videos on youtube.

The foil hermetic bags im not comfortable using maybe if you have huge lots of bulk seed to store they would be a option though. I would keep them in a water tight container as well

1 members found this post helpful.