What's new

Good beginner water only soil mix that you can buy/ create

Hey guys
I currently grow in coco and I want to try out organics but the only thing that's been holding me back is the fact that most of these recipes call for 7-10 ingredients, and for someone who only has 3-4 plants it doesn't make sense to buy that quantity cuz I'll never use it. Do you have any suggestions on a good organic soil that I can purchase or an idea for a simple yet effective blend? Thanks!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No. Don't follow that advice.

FFOF or any of the likes will get you about 30 days into veg and then things go down hill from there. Not to mention it's inconsistent from batch to batch.

Why spend 3x the money for a bag of soil that really isn't going to give you a water only garden? Learn how to make and foster your own soil and you can grow anything.

dank.Frank

Pwyll

My issues also. Most mixes have a lot more than 10 ingredients. Buildasoil is well liked but the basic starter is for 12+ plants. Kindsoil is the only one I have found that offers 5 lb bags

My issues also. Most mixes have a lot more than 10 ingredients. Buildasoil is well liked but the basic starter is for 12+ plants. Kindsoil is the only one I have found that offers 5 lb bags

I was looking at buildasoil, they have a couple to choose from and come in one cubic foot bag. Is that really enough for 12 plants?

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
do everything dank frank says. go look through his posts if you want proof he knows what hes talking about.
if you want to squeak by with the minimum get a bag of organic granulated all in one fert and amend some ocean forest or similar at .5 - 1 c/cuft.
if you want to do it right, and have time to cook a batch, use those links from frank to source as many ingredients as possible and mix accordingly. maybe do both. organic soil is a great way to grow cannabis... but it can take a few rounds to get going right.
do yourself a favor and recycle your organic soil, that will help alot. i have used the same soil for years and it keeps getting better. this is where i learned everything i know about organic soil, on ic, and i can tell you i have a better understanding of it than most "organic gardeners" i come across. just start reading. you have to look at least a little bit

If I am gojng to create or try and recreate lc#2 mix using promix. Problem is I can only access promix bx biofungicide - should I try and avoid the promix that has this biofungicide?

truck

Pick one or mix all three. 707 mix, Fox Farm Ocean Forrest, Fox Farm Happy Frog, add a little perlite if you prefer to water more frequently, those are heavy mixes and need longer to dry out. (5gal bucket) layer the bottom of your bucket with Happy Frog 5-5-5, add some rock to the bottom, 1 gallon of soil, mix in some 5-5-5 to the soil, then add 1/2 to 1gallon of soil to set your root ball on. Translplant then put three Jobes all purpose spikes at the edge of the bucket equally spaced apart about 6 inches deep. top dress 1x at week 3 with the 5-5-5. Water only, if you wanna get fancy use fox farm big bloom every 2 weeks at the supplemental level strength. This gets great results, just don't over water. There is plenty of nutes in the soil too keep everything happy and the plant growing through its whole life. you can adapt this to three and two gallon pots as well and get 2-3 oz plants. I've seen this method pull 4-8oz in a 5 gals. The best thing is this method does best if you pull your lights up to the maximum effective distance for its wattage.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That Promix will work just fine.

You are on the right path. That's a good start there.

Fox Farm soils suck. Expensive, inconsistent, and loaded with bugs and lord knows what else. Guy I talked to recently found two nails in a bag. Guessing they are grinding up old couches and pallets for organic material lol.

I really like Epsoma products. The tomato food works great with added cal/mag. I emailed them once and asked why they don't add more cal to the mix and they said it didn't need it. Really? I grow a lot of tomatoes and always have to add bonemeal.

Let us know how your mix works for you!

troutman

Seed Whore
If I am gojng to create or try and recreate lc#2 mix using promix. Problem is I can only access promix bx biofungicide - should I try and avoid the promix that has this biofungicide?

Biofungicide will only control fungus and molds. It won't affect your plants that's why they put it in there. There's nothing wrong with it.

Biofungicide will only control fungus and molds. It won't affect your plants that's why they put it in there. There's nothing wrong with it.

Okay so the biofungicide will work for an organic grow? I want to make sure I don't use any antibacterials or anything that will harm the good bacteria

troutman

Seed Whore
Fungicides only affect fungi and not bacteria. The stuff in that bag is natural.
The biofungicide present in the bag is natural soil bacteria and I highlighted it
in red in the official description below.

Description:

PRO-MIX ®BX BIOFUNGICIDE* is a general purpose peat-based growing medium enriched with
Bacillus subtilis, a biofungicide that prevents root diseases. Designed for general greenhouse use
and transplanting applications.

Ingredients:
• Canadian Sphagnum peat moss (75-85% by volume)
• Perlite -horticultural grade
• Vermiculite - horticultural grade
• Dolomitic and Calcitic limestone (pH adjuster)
• Wetting Agent
• Biofungicide (Bacillus subtilis)

The soil is good to go. :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If that is what they are calling a biofungicide (bacillus subtilis) then yes that is absolutely fine and is actually something that is in the beneficial bacteria blend I buy and add to the soil.

You have to find what is going to work for you. I won't tell you my way is the only way - but it is a way and it works. Take bits and pieces of advice from what you think is going to be most effective in helping you achieve your end goal.

At the end of the day, it's all theoretical until you put a plant in it and see how it performs. There is always a bit of a learning curve with everything. Even when cooking food and you have a perfect recipe it still takes a couple times making it to execute it to perfection.

The sooner you start experiencing, the sooner you start learning, the sooner you'll figure it out.

dank.Frank

Thanks guys. I'm heavly debating buying the buildasoil cubic foot because that's all I would need to experiment. I still want to have two or three plants in coco while I try out this organic stuff and I don't know if buying all these ingredients make sense right off the bat. What are your thoughts on the buildasoil?

Without a doubt if I liked the buildasoil I would do a mix of promix bx, ewc, rice hulls then appropriate amendments. You guys are awesome thank you!

jahshaka

cant say ive used franks recipe but judging from his knowledge and pics i dont think you will go wrong pal.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i have had good results amending a bag of promix with some eco scraps organic tomato granulate from lowes. i included ewc and a little extra pearlite. grew some autos in 3gal pots full cycle