What's new

Polls Suggest California Is Poised To Legalize Marijuana In 2014

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Polls Suggest California Is Poised To Legalize Marijuana In 2014
The Huffington Post | By Lydia O'Connor Posted: 12/11/2013 10:25 am EST | Updated: 12/11/2013 3:52 pm

For the first time, a majority of Californians support pot legalization, a Field Poll released Tuesday reports.
The survey confirms the Public Polling Institute of California's findings in September with an even greater percentage voicing support for new legislation.

"For the first time since 1969 when The Field Poll began tracking Californians' attitudes toward marijuana laws, a clear majority (55 percent) favors its legalization," the surveyors said. "This subdivides between 8 percent who believe it should be legalized so it can be purchased by anyone and 47 percent who support legalizing it with age and other controls like those for alcohol."

The Field Poll's findings are based on a survey of 1,002 registered California voters conducted between November 14 and December 5.

As poll results continue to show a movement toward legalizing marijuana, experts say the conversation should shift, too.

"Debating about whether to legalize now is pointless, because we're going to," Mark A.R. Kleiman, a University of California, Los Angeles professor and drug policy expert, told Inside Bay Area. "The smart debate is about how we'll do it."

Support for legalization has only escalated in California, suggesting to surveyors that the state is destined for change marijuana policy.

"It just seems like an inevitable trend towards the liberalization of the laws," Field Poll Director Mark DiCamillo said, noting that people now distinguish between cannabis and other drugs.

Voters may get the chance to put their opinion on the ballot soon. California Cannabis Hemp Initiative 2014 is now gathering the 500,000 needed signatures to qualify a statewide legalization initiative for next year's election.

The measure's success, however, will depend largely on voter turnout, as polled subgroups remained divided.

"There are big differences in voter preferences toward the proposed initiative across subgroups of the registered voter population," the surveyors noted. The strongest levels of support for the proposed initiative come from voters registered as Democrats or no party preference, liberals, voters under age 50, singles, white non-Hispanics, voters living in the state's coastal counties and especially those living in the San Francisco Bay Area, and college graduates.

The four major voting blocks with a majority opposing legalization are Republicans, conservatives, Latinos and voters with no more than a high school education. Seniors age 65 and older and voters in inland counties remain almost evenly divided.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/10/marijuana-legalization-california_n_4421602.html

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I moved here about a month too late to vote in the 2010 elections. I will definitely vote for legalization this time around. I'm hoping California will be one of several states to fully legalize next year.

Thomas Paine

Veteran
I voted for legalization in the 2010 elections.

However, many of my friends did not. All of my buddies that do big grows, as well as most of my friends that do indoor, and all the club owners didn't vote or voted against it.

When I ask others today, I get a resounding "No".

People like the way it is in Cali, we have it good if you are medical.
Medical allows us to carry 8 ounces (1/2 pound). Drive with my girlfriend (who has a card too) and we can carry a full pound.

Decriminalized California's can only carry an ounce or less, and they cannot grow.

So you can see why many California cannabis patients don't want it to go legal. Many feel it would be a downgrade.

The other worry, esp amongst the growers, it is that the retail price of cannabis will plummet if legalized and big drug companies like Bayer are allowed to produce marijuana and it's extracts.

-------

I will vote for legalization for the simple that fact that people shouldn't be jailed for possessing it.

But I think the outcome will be closer than many people think.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have it pretty good with a medical card here. Any adult can get it if they go to a doctor first. It's just ridiculous that a healthy person has to lie about having a medical condition to smoke pot legally.

Adults can buy alcohol whenever they want without needing a special reason. No one has to pay a doctor every year for a card to drink beer. That's how it should be with weed, a much safer drug.

Weed tourism will be big here too when it's legalized. California is famous for producing some of the best quality cannabis in the world. People from other states and other countries will come here to experience what we have to offer once it's fully legal.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If pot is legalized, of course prices will go down, it's part of the process.
Whoever is now making ridiculous money growing weed will have to adjust, that's also part of it, sorry.

Bongstar420

However, many of my friends did not. All of my buddies that do big grows, as well as most of my friends that do indoor, and all the club owners didn't vote or voted against it.

When I ask others today, I get a resounding "No".

People like the way it is in Cali, we have it good if you are medical.
Medical allows us to carry 8 ounces (1/2 pound). Drive with my girlfriend (who has a card too) and we can carry a full pound.

Decriminalized California's can only carry an ounce or less, and they cannot grow.

So you can see why many California cannabis patients don't want it to go legal. Many feel it would be a downgrade.

The other worry, esp amongst the growers, it is that the retail price of cannabis will plummet if legalized and big drug companies like Bayer are allowed to produce marijuana and it's extracts.

-------

I will vote for legalization for the simple that fact that people shouldn't be jailed for possessing it.

But I think the outcome will be closer than many people think.

Don't want to give up their monopoly to competition eh?

iBogart

Veteran
I have it pretty good with a medical card here. Any adult can get it if they go to a doctor first. It's just ridiculous that a healthy person has to lie about having a medical condition to smoke pot legally.

Adults can buy alcohol whenever they want without needing a special reason. No one has to pay a doctor every year for a card to drink beer. That's how it should be with weed, a much safer drug.

Weed tourism will be big here too when it's legalized. California is famous for producing some of the best quality cannabis in the world. People from other states and other countries will come here to experience what we have to offer once it's fully legal.

I think you might find that Californians are not keen on weed tourism. They cringe at the thought of a new wave of cannabis crazed Okies.

Cool Moe

Veteran
Sorta like they're not keen on wine/alcohol tourism? Shit man the wineries are in a perfect position to dedicate a few acres to a plant more delicious and more profitable than grapes. By offering the best of both worlds their volume of tourists will more than quadruple. You think they won't be jumpin on the bandwagon you should think again.

Ickis

Veteran
Broad mites will keep everything in balance.

I always wanted it to be legal but now I don't. But it will never happen in my state.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
californias this californias that the bottome line is this, californias are mad washington and colorado went first. for us to compete now we, too, will have to legalize.

supermanlives

Veteran
Sorta like they're not keen on wine/alcohol tourism? Shit man the wineries are in a perfect position to dedicate a few acres to a plant more delicious and more profitable than grapes. By offering the best of both worlds their volume of tourists will more than quadruple. You think they won't be jumpin on the bandwagon you should think again.

weed n wine hell ya perfect name too. I just would like peeps to stop going to jail and ruined lives over a plant.yes making it legal will drop prices and some folks will crash and burn but that's life. theres still a tobacco planter back east with my name on it just need some land here for it. if backeast legalizes fully I am setup already.

mendo420

Veteran
marijuana is already legal in CA!!!! The WAR is OVER!!!!
its called
PROP 215

Wake UP people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its already taxed and controlled.

Do we really need more of the 1% to profit from it after throwing us in JAIL for DECADES!!!!!

Fuck the 1% who want to tax and control a PLANT!

do they tax your prozac, methadone or tomatoes?

SAY NO to taxation and regulation

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran

Help me understand. I thought you were 20 in Nov of 2013 (see your post quoted into many threads); that would have made you 17 in Nov 2010 and not of age to vote.

You also never answered if you were being paid to be here.

Inquiring minds want to know.

:joint:

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I live in Washington state which is a medical state with a 15 plant limit. Recreational weed was voted in and just about to take effect in a couple of months now. The state controls the recreational pot and doesn't want competition from the medical growers or anyone else. The prices for recreational pot will probably be higher than medical pot because of all the taxes. They are allowing medical grows for a while but not sure how long (6 plant limit now).

So if you like big govt taking over the entire cannabis industry in CA vote for legalization....

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I'd rather continue to break rules and laws under a legalization scenario than to break the laws and rules under the current immoral prohibition.

Jim Crow is better than slavery.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
This potential 2014 initiative isn't getting much coverage in the press. Also, some of you guys seem to be misunderstanding the initiative's content. It's all about individual freedom to grow what you want and possess what you want. This isn't like prop 19 which was written to benefit the big commercial growers in Oakland. If California doesn't pass this one it's likely to be because it doesn't kowtow to the big money interests who want a new gravy train for themselves and those seeking tax revenue.

Last edited:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
This potential 2014 initiative isn't getting much coverage in the press. Also, some of you guys seem to be misunderstanding the initiative's content. It's all about individual freedom to grow what you want and possess what you want. This isn't like prop 215 which was written to benefit the big commercial growers in Oakland. If California doesn't pass this one it's likely to be because it doesn't kowtow to the big money interests who want a new gravy train for themselves and those seeking tax revenue.

I loved the treat like beer or wine which didn't gather enough sigs in 2012.

Do you have a link for the leading sig gathering proposal?

Latest posts

Latest posts