What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If it doesn't Shatter, it doesn't matter! Tribute to Jolly Rancher Amber Glass Thread

If it doesn't Shatter, it DOESN'T Matter! :jump:

I just had to post this, to counteract the now infamous "It if Doesn't Bubble, it ain't worth the trouble", quote.

Personally, I cannot stand bubble hash, and never have liked it. I even started a joke thread a while back, about how much better oil is than bubble. But this thread is meant to be serious, as a dedication to Amber Glass, Jolly Rancher, Absolute Amber, ala Jump, and the many other forms and appearances of the legendary "Shatter" material.

Recently, I started making this on my own after about 10 years now of various oil experiments, and I have to say, thanks to the folks like HMK, I can finally taste my oils for what they really, truly are. What I notice first, is that all my previous oils were severely contaminated with waste by products, that are not only costing more for some people to purchase, but adding to the harmful carcinogens in the smoke from improperly purged material.

I like fresh and frozen the best, but boy is it a PITA to deal with wet sticky trimming. Next in favorites, is the stuff that comes direct from fresh buds, but not directly off the plant. And last but not least, the serious nice trim, frosty with crystals.

When smoked with a titanium pad, the amber oils are by far the most flavorful, and delicious, purest, and most headiest smoke I have ever had in my life. I've had all kinds of oils, from dark alcohol extracts, to lighter alcohol extracts, and i've had the best full melt bubble, and bubble that was too sticky to touch, even. I've had clear yellowish oils that were viscous, from Divisadero many years ago, and all kinds of various concentrates. Maybe it's the fact that I grow my herb in organic soil, combined with the vapor action, but the results are not easily dismissed. The high is the headiest, most clear, most consistently potent, and the smoke is the smoothest and most flavorful I have ever had.

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

Now can anyone identify the pictures below and tell me what you see? Is it Honey Oil, or Poo Poo?

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

What you are seeing above, is the waxes and fats and lipids, and regardless of what it appears to be, there is no oil present in that gob of goo. It has been filtered several times, frozen to separate, warmed in slightly warm temps, separated, filtered again, and so forth. The only oil in those pics is on the side of glass, and there is very little there, either.

When you are buying BHO, Butane Honey Oil, and smoking it, the gob of goo you see in these pics, is AFTER a cotton filtration, then to coffee filtration, so it's already filtered twice, in approx. .15 micron ave. Then frozen in ethanol, and re-filtered, and this is what cannot be dissolved. This is what you are smoking and ingesting that gives you no actual effect, for the most part, as far as I know. Granted this was from sugar trim, but still, plant matters, waxes, fats and lipids get through, even butane extractions, and need to be completely cleaned up before they can be considered true "medicine".

I have to say this, because it recently occurred to me, now that i've been ingesting REAL meds.

The other thing that is most particular that I have noticed is that although my mind can be soaring high, and my body perfectly relaxed, I do not get the normal tired effect, like drowsiness, or sleepiness. I'm alert and high at the same time, and very relaxed as well.

I can truly say I notice a complete difference between the quality of Amber Glasses and Water Extracted Hash. Hash is HARSH, no matter how full melt it is, is ALWAYS burns my throat. I cannot smoke it, being asthmatic to begin with. But Glass actually expands my lungs severely, and makes me cough, but not from harshness, but rather expansion of the lungs, which is exactly what asthmatics need, not harsh contaminants.

That is my ode to Amber.
Anyone care to join in the fun?
Do you enjoy Amber Glasses specifically more than other kinds of extracts, and if so, what have been your experiences with it, in your own medicinal benefits?

budbasket

"can you explain the milky liquid? "....IMHO I've always thought it to be the last remaining water/plant waxes left over from evaporation/purging. I see it a lot when I make QWISO but not really BHO. I have always assumed that the liquid solvent evaporates before the last remaining water and residues, but again just IMHO.

dope_roor

i think the milky liquid is residual water from whatever solvent was utilized.

love the amber! i am going to have to start experimenting with filtering.

can you explain the milky liquid?

Hey Jump,
Thanks for the comps. I have you to thank, as well as the other fine contributors.

That's alcohol residue that has not completely evaporated, from probably the third washing of that wax trash. It becomes slightly milky as it evaporates. I think that run used everclear. It eventually all disappears, toward the end of evaporation.

I have some more pics i'll post soon, of various colorations of shatter material.

I welcome anyone to post pics of their amber and various colored shatters to this thread. Let's show off the very best, folks!

I like how you can really mold the stuff. maybe we can turn this into an Oil/Art thread, too.

i think the milky liquid is residual water from whatever solvent was utilized.

love the amber! i am going to have to start experimenting with filtering.

Be careful with filters. You pretty much have to run them in second and third washes afterwards. I have found my filters to trap approx. 20% of my product, which then get's washed out afterwards, into a slightly darker shatter material. I have even gotten another 5% from third washings of filters alone. Got that tip from Jump, as well. :tiphat: Thank you, my friend.

Next experiment is to take that ugly goop of wax, and see if I can get anything useful from it. Maybe my solvent is not perfect, but after Butane, vector 5X, and alcohol washing, double filtering, etc. I cannot imagine there is anything in there that is useful, but I could be wrong. Anyone care to chime in on that one?

Nice Pics Vapeman 24. That's impressive that you were able to achieve that with lower grade product, and ground, even.
What kind of yields are you pulling?

I don't grind mine, and only get about 5-6%. I used to grind it first, but it came out completely contaminated with plant matter, but that's before I was doing secondary washes and filtrations. I just figured I would pull out too much of what I don't need. But maybe I can learn a thing or two, more.

Are you getting more than a confirmed 6-7% return? How does it taste? Was that BHO or alcohol washed only, or both?

jump117

Veteran
:tiphat: Thank you, my friend.
Anytime!:wave:
Anyone care to chime in on that one?
Was it Everclear 150 or 190?
Milky residue indicates the use of 150, if so I suppose the solvent wasn’t strong enough.
I’m experienced only with 96% EtOH (190 proof).
Azeotrope leaves a milky residue only when it is exposed to water.

The rest in glass looks still resinous, I’d try with stronger solvent or heated that one you have.

Anytime!:wave:

Was it Everclear 150 or 190?
Milky residue indicates the use of 150, if so I suppose the solvent wasn’t strong enough.
I’m experienced only with 96% EtOH (190 proof).
Azeotrope leaves a milky residue only when it is exposed to water.

The rest in glass looks still resinous, I’d try with stronger solvent or heated that one you have.

Yeah, it's 150, all we can get here in Cali. I tried heating it already, but apparently not enough. I heated it once, froze it twice, and filtered three times. I'll try that. Thanks!

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Nothing filtered here...simple extraction from a blend of small buds and trim from multiple strains:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stay Safe

some beaut GDK.....sexy stuff!

Does that get sticky at all, not having been filtered? I notice this can happen with either lower quality trim, or not enough filtration.

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Thanks...yea it can be sticky, but i can definately feel the waxes as well. Its very waxy as a matter of fact. Im very impressed by the photos you displayed. Im not a big oil fan tho..maybe because i have never tried the real mccoy?

Stay Safe

vapeman24

Nice Pics Vapeman 24. That's impressive that you were able to achieve that with lower grade product, and ground, even.
What kind of yields are you pulling?

I don't grind mine, and only get about 5-6%. I used to grind it first, but it came out completely contaminated with plant matter, but that's before I was doing secondary washes and filtrations. I just figured I would pull out too much of what I don't need. But maybe I can learn a thing or two, more.

Are you getting more than a confirmed 6-7% return? How does it taste? Was that BHO or alcohol washed only, or both?

Well, I guess the first place for misunderstanding in my post could be what I call "low quality OD bud". The bud I used in both were not compressed, had a light aroma, and had a very light covering of trichromes. It was smokeable, but the "OD" taste was more prevalent than the strain taste.

With the Green Crack I only got maybe a 9-10% return, and the NL was probably around 12-13%. I do all my runs in half ounce batches, with one can of butane, or until the butane starts running clear for at least 5 seconds when spraying. I dry the bud until it is almost crunchy so I pull as little moisture out as possible.

I don't do any second washes or anything of that nature. I spray the butane into a pyrex dish over a warm water bath (at least 102F) until all the "liquid" butane is gone and it's just the layer of oil on the bottom. I will keep it in the warm water bath for probably around 2 hours, where about every 20 minutes I will take my dabber (dental pick) and scrape the oil to release all the trapped butane. I am, not whipping the BHO at all, but scraping it with one pass. Imagine painting a wall with a brush. Just one stroke over every area. The purpose of this is to release the butane and introduce as little air as possible and avoid destroying the terpenes.

After about 2-3 hours of that it should be good to go. I know when I am done because scraping the BHO will become more difficult and you will smell no butane coming out when you do. As soon as it comes out of the bath it should be like candy so you have to scrape it in the bath or use heat probably for best results.

EDIT: The taste of the GC and NL BHO I pictured were both very smooth, the GC had almost no taste just completely smooth, while the NL you could definitely identify it as an OD bud, but had a very smooth decent taste as well. I have usually yield between 15-18% with the stuff I normally run, but I have seen as high as 25%.

jump117

Veteran
it's 150, all we can get here in Cali.
I read that for dehydration of alcohol, magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) is ignited in the oven until dehydration and mixed with alcohol.
Sulfate captures water from the alcohol and removed by filtration, leaving a dehydrated alcohol.

Latest posts

Latest posts