What's new

democratic house passes landmark bill...

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
decriminalizing marijuana and expunging nonviolent records....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/04/us/politics/house-marijuana.html

absolutely unamerican and evil anti-progress republicans will most certainly block it in the senate though.

however, it is a step in the right direction to forgive the decades of injustice this maligned and unnecessary drug war has wrought.

hopefully, with a democratically controlled senate after the runoffs in georgia,

this will finally become the law of the land.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a big step in the right direction!
read.gif

Decriminalizing is a great 1st step. Also read the ICC is considering taking cannabis off the strictest crime. Which is another step.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Decriminalizing is a great 1st step. Also read the ICC is considering taking cannabis off the strictest crime. Which is another step.

agree on decrim. too many folks keep screaming for everything at once. the Berlin wall was demolished overnight, but it was chipped away at & weakened by decades of "a little pressure here, a few dents there"...love the UN wanting to remove cannabis/resin from "dangerous drugs" list. yeeHAW! that is gonna eliminate the arguments from pols saying "well, we'd like to blahblahblah, but the US is subject to the UN agreement on drugs that the US signed."

Amynamous

Not really mentioned a lot, but legalization at the federal level would create tens of thousands of new jobs and bring in millions of dollars to the states that wants it.
I remember reading that Colorado brings in five times more tax revenue from cannabis than from alcohol, and Coloradans love their beer.

dramamine

Not really mentioned a lot, but legalization at the federal level would create tens of thousands of new jobs and bring in millions of dollars to the states that wants it.
I remember reading that Colorado brings in five times more tax revenue from cannabis than from alcohol, and Coloradans love their beer.

The jobs wouldn't be created, but taken from those who are already doing them and given mostly to corporations, who would turn them into minimum wage gigs and pocket the difference.

dramamine

Kind of like what happened to bootleggers after prohibition?

Exactly like that. I have a bias against the corporate takeover of the supply side economy. It offshores massive wealth and lowers quality across the board. Quality of life, too.

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
since this is a cannabis site, and a good portion of the members are from america....

here are the opponents of the more act:

picture.php

know your oppressor

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
however, it is a step in the right direction to forgive the decades of injustice this maligned and unnecessary drug war has wrought.

hopefully, with a democratically controlled senate after the runoffs in georgia,

You got that right, eugenegreen!! It's the start, not the finish.

Besides, McConnell isn't looking too spry. Hoping for Georgia run off to have a (D) controlled Senate. Let Mokba Mitch be Senate Minority.

h.h.

Veteran

Would it? Or as more states legalize would the novelty of $250 an ounce for recreational wear off? As more states legalize, the tourist trade will drop off. We shouldn’t have to pay heavy taxes on it anyway. For what? The sin of smoking pot?

They all want to get rich off of us through heavily controlled legalization.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every defense lawyer in the country will be using this as a reason for no jail time plea bargains in states that are not legal.....the United States House of Representatives ladies and gentleman of the jury passed by a large margin a bill legalizing cannabis ladies and gentlemen of the jury, what say we too send a message ladies and gentlemen of the jury?

I read that there's still more than half a million people arrested and innocent people being shown the terror of prison life...for this plant? Over half a million Americans last year arrested for this which is unbelievable. This decision by lawmakers is meaningful but now we need a list showing each and every republican ( almost all ) and democrat ( just a few ) who voted against this. We should know who they are.
16140_detail_thumbnail.gif

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran

You got that right, eugenegreen!! It's the start, not the finish.

Besides, McConnell isn't looking too spry. Hoping for Georgia run off to have a (D) controlled Senate. Let Mokba Mitch be Senate Minority.

hopefully, it can be revisited in the next year or so...
certain doom in this retrumplican senate, thats for sure

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Jan 5 we will know

i'm not so sure... will every dem senator vote for legalizing ?? - if they win on jan 5th, they have 50 votes, and the vp casts the deciding vote.. if one dem votes no... and all the rep's vote no (which is probable), it ain't passing...

i guess it will come down to the 'marlboro' man... how much $$$ he wants to spread around...

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
better than the republican option...

which is keeping things how they are and locking up people for a fucking plant.

and that’s not a viable option anymore

it’s high time for change

Gry

Veteran
The big corporate money that stepped on cannabis was well distributed on each side of the aisle over time. Was the gay population of SF deal with HIV that managed to break though the wall of indifference and fostered the concept of compassionate use.
Find it ironic that is the most disowned among us who did the most to improve the lives of all.

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
that’s how it usually goes gry...

one has to be apart from the status quo
in order to bring about meaningful change

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm not so sure... will every dem senator vote for legalizing ?? - if they win on jan 5th, they have 50 votes, and the vp casts the deciding vote.. if one dem votes no... and all the rep's vote no (which is probable), it ain't passing...

i guess it will come down to the 'marlboro' man... how much $$$ he wants to spread around...

there are GOP members that are not dinosaurs. if given political cover by the Dems & Biden, i think it will surprise folks how many votes it gets.