What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Malato

I'd say good pot is good pot and that it's slightly ignorant to assume we have all of a sudden in the past 50 years taken this plant to a new level when humans have been growing it for thousands of years. Lester's post about the afghani is case and point. As far as 90s strains compared to modern ones I'd say little to no discernible difference A+++ then is A+++ now it was just less prevalent back then. My triangle kush is an old Florida strain that could even be an 80s strain and I would say it's better then 95% of the new stuff. Shit I bred it with some guerilla glue to try to increase the guerillas potency lol

PDX Dopesmoker

There's plenty of magical old timer herb around growing in people's gardens, very few produce it commercially because they can't make money on it (ie. due to low yields, long flowering time, difficulty to grow, etc).

There is money to be made growing the classics if you're in the Oregon legal market for sure, probably true in any other legal state too. On the very rare occasions a shop is selling AG or some other classic strain, they almost always blow right through the pound of the old classic way faster than they do with most other strains.
Lower numbers on the lab results might scare off a lot of growers, but the consumers buy it up regardless numbers when something like AG is on the shelf.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
OG for the win. It fetches the highest ticket in my neck of the woods. When they taste the old school piney woodsy OG flavor it's a wrap. I've grown over 50+ strains in the past 20 years, and I've never seen anything go like OG kush..Well, lemme take that back. Had a Dutch passion blueberry from 99-00 that was a complete animal. Blueberry, bottle of Jameson, and a thick chick=great night:D Damn, I miss that cut...

OP

Malato

OG for the win. It fetches the highest ticket in my neck of the woods. When they taste the old school piney woodsy OG flavor it's a wrap. I've grown over 50+ strains in the past 20 years, and I've never seen anything go like OG kush..Well, lemme take that back. Had a Dutch passion blueberry from 99-00 that was a complete animal. Blueberry, bottle of Jameson, and a thick chick=great night:D Damn, I miss that cut...

OP

Some old school blueberry for sure is some special stuff. Had a cut with leaflets twice as wide as my thumb and buds as dense as a peach pit, would have the most dedicated smoker sunk in a couch fantasizing about food but you would be to high to actually get up and get the food

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Some old school blueberry for sure is some special stuff. Had a cut with leaflets twice as wide as my thumb and buds as dense as a peach pit, would have the most dedicated smoker sunk in a couch fantasizing about food but you would be to high to actually get up and get the food

Exactly broski. I've ran the dabney cut and other cuts of bb, but never found one like the one I found in dutch passion seeds. Buddy made f2's, but he got popped and everything was gone:/ The good ole days..

OP

Spaventa

Veteran
On the UK scene, no cut will ever be better remembered than the cheese clone in the 90s. I’ve yet to encounter anything like its full mouth taste that left an after taste like after you eat something.
Also, nothing since that clone has ever had the pervasive stink. Wrapped up or in a bag in your pocket, you stank out the area you were in. Carbon filter did nothing. Lot of people got busted purely down to that cut.

No haze I have tried since 2003 was even close to the Neville’s haze (regular seeds) from greenhouse seeds between 2000 and 2003. The room filling musk, incense and magic rain forest was incredible. The best cannabis I’ve grown or smoked in my life by some margin. I still get upset about losing her.

meizzwang

There is money to be made growing the classics if you're in the Oregon legal market for sure, probably true in any other legal state too. On the very rare occasions a shop is selling AG or some other classic strain, they almost always blow right through the pound of the old classic way faster than they do with most other strains.
Lower numbers on the lab results might scare off a lot of growers, but the consumers buy it up regardless numbers when something like AG is on the shelf.

That's great news, sounds like something that will pick up steam in the future. Interestingly enough, I've seen several dispensaries in Colorado and in Cali that selll durban poison, but it's clearly some hybrid with DP. it's hard for the average consumer to know this unless they've grown out the real deal themselves. Hope the same thing isn't happening in Oregon.

Happy Times

OP

Haha that sounds like a good night

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've always felt like way too much emphasis was put onto smell and bag appeal. Purple strains in my area are exceptionally rare and whenever they pop up people are flipping shit and gladly dropping $70 an eighth on them. Fucking ridiculous. I value the effect above anything else, that's why I use MJ.

PDX Dopesmoker

That's great news, sounds like something that will pick up steam in the future. Interestingly enough, I've seen several dispensaries in Colorado and in Cali that selll durban poison, but it's clearly some hybrid with DP. it's hard for the average consumer to know this unless they've grown out the real deal themselves. Hope the same thing isn't happening in Oregon.

Lame stuff like that probably happens everywhere.

JockBudman

In Scotland back in the early 2000's we never got a name with the herb. Most of it was still damp and commonly referred to as "chink stink" (sorry to Asian growers, I can't pretend I was ever comfortable with the name but it's what it was called) due to being grown by the Vietnamese gangs - racism has never been intelligent.

Once you dried it out it had a variety of different effects ranging from spun out sativa madness to heavy eyes closed stone. I once had a quarter mould on me and being young, dumb and broke, smoked it anyway. That shit was mind-blowing, left me laid on the floor crying with laughter.
I'd love to know what the Vietnamese were growing because I did manage to pick out a few seeds over the years. Still got them but so far none have popped.

Later on the herb dried out a bit more but whenever there was a drought the damp shit would raise its head. I remember my mate that shifted quarter pounds up the coast to the south edge of the Highlands phoning connection after connection going "is it Chinese? I don't want it then" trying to find anything that wasn't from them. In the end he'd sometimes have to settle for the Viet then spend ages trying to find out who had the driest shit 😂

I saw named strains only a handful of times before I left the country, cheese once and lemon skunk. Most of it came from small personal grows rather than big operations so quite rare in my circles. Up in Oban you could get bone dry shit off the fishing boats meeting Dutch boats in the North sea but it never got to me with a name and it was rare as hens teeth - once it was gone it was gone until the crew needed more money.

The other notable one was the seeded up African bush weed I got off a guy who also sold blueberry that cost way over the odds for the time but now would be a steal. I took the African coz I was skint and it wasn't a bad smoke, nice relaxing and red eyed stone. Used to blaze it with my housemate and watch French films. Again I kept the seeds but never got them to pop.

Looking back it all sounds crap and Scotland was always a dumping ground for bad drugs no one else wanted - we had the most bashed coke in Europe for example. But without names and hype and knowledge of what good bud should be like, it still got us ripped. Having said that I'm glad to be done with wet grassy herb. No smoke is good enough to mitigate your fresh ounce drying down to nothing.

Obviously I started growing my own to avoid all this shit and nothing has compared since. Although the last time I was home without my own stash I got an eighth and it was like stepping back in time - came in tin foil, on weight, dry and with no name or hype attached. Just weed. And it was amazing, got me making music and dancing around mad style. Good times 😊

Ganja gu brah :joint:

mexweed

Veteran
there are plenty of classics at shops here in CO, I have had/seen afghani, hashplant, dumpster, medicine man (rhino), green crack, nl, nl5 haze, nl5 widow, cheese, island sweet skunk, phnom penh, underdog, chem 91, big bud, ak47, white widow, skunk #1, colombian gold that tested at 11% thc, durban that was definitely not the dp stuff a buddy grew

great white shark that knocked me on my ass even compared to dabs

the hashplant had the most unique flavor and that hand of god on the back of your neck euphoria

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
In Scotland back in the early 2000's we never got a name with the herb. Most of it was still damp and commonly referred to as "chink stink" (sorry to Asian growers, I can't pretend I was ever comfortable with the name but it's what it was called) due to being grown by the Vietnamese gangs - racism has never been intelligent.

I remember a super snide noxious solid called paki black when I was a kid. If I was Pakistani I would be insulted cos it came from Spain lol

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've grown a lot of cannabis plants from seed in the last 50 years. I'm sure other old growers will agree with me that every once in a while a very special plant appears. It's just math. Grow enough seedlings and they show up. Sometimes you engineer it with a breeding plan, other times it's just a lucky find in another grower friends yard. I think these special plants need to be saved as clones, and I know others do too. Some select plants, like that Santa Cruz Blue Dream cut I mentioned back on page 4, prove to be excellent breeding plants, which makes them even more valuable.

I agree that if you keep on hybridizing without direction you'll end up with ho hum cannabis, no doubt about it. But, I can assure you that it's possible to make two, three even four crosses in a row, picking and choosing the traits you want to represent each contribution and come out with something much, much greater than the sum of ingredients. Continuous improvement is not only possible, it's the only reasonable goal of breeding. If you can't breed something better, why bother?

That said, I think it's most important to preserve the select clones. Older heirloom clones are genetic windows into the past. The stories are true, they really were that great. A clone could conceivably be preserved indefinitely, which can't be said of a pure bred dog or horse. The best way to preserve clones is to spread them around. If it's really that special, don't risk keeping it to yourself. I'm telling you from experience. If your friends have it, you can always get it back.

JockBudman

I remember a super snide noxious solid called paki black when I was a kid. If I was Pakistani I would be insulted cos it came from Spain lol

Haha god I remember hearing about that stuff, I always got the impression it was a precursor to the squidgy black folk made out of a cheap black hash and fucking cooking oil. If you were lucky 😂

I avoided it like the plague. It's telling that back then in my circle even soapbar had a better rep - Paki black was probably far better for you though 😄

It's a shame the way some of the names went though, I still cringe to think that's what we used to call stuff.

Ganja gu brah :joint:

Bgoat

I've grown a lot of cannabis plants from seed in the last 50 years. I'm sure other old growers will agree with me that every once in a while a very special plant appears. It's just math. Grow enough seedlings and they show up. Sometimes you engineer it with a breeding plan, other times it's just a lucky find in another grower friends yard. I think these special plants need to be saved as clones, and I know others do too. Some select plants, like that Santa Cruz Blue Dream cut I mentioned back on page 4, prove to be excellent breeding plants, which makes them even more valuable.

I agree that if you keep on hybridizing without direction you'll end up with ho hum cannabis, no doubt about it. But, I can assure you that it's possible to make two, three even four crosses in a row, picking and choosing the traits you want to represent each contribution and come out with something much, much greater than the sum of ingredients. Continuous improvement is not only possible, it's the only reasonable goal of breeding. If you can't breed something better, why bother?

That said, I think it's most important to preserve the select clones. Older heirloom clones are genetic windows into the past. The stories are true, they really were that great. A clone could conceivably be preserved indefinitely, which can't be said of a pure bred dog or horse. The best way to preserve clones is to spread them around. If it's really that special, don't risk keeping it to yourself. I'm telling you from experience. If your friends have it, you can always get it back.

For sure.