What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round Infinity

VortexPower420

Veteran
I have been just taking cuts off of the plants going into flower. Not ideal but it works.

I just have a hard time getting a big run of any one strain. I run a mixed grow anyway so no biggie.

Aloe really keeps them going it is amazing. I have had a chemd root after 2 weeks. She was treated like shit but with some aloe and fulpower she pulled through and didn't look to to bad.

Avi- from my understanding dimming the bulbs is not reccomend. They are ment to to run at the wattage they are made for. They work yes but at a expense. The bulbs don't ignight properly and the spectrum will off and you are probably lessening bulb life.

I have dimmed fresh bulbs to 75% for a run and then used thoes bulbs again next to never dimmed bulbs and the color difference was noticeable.

Just a thought.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lately we've been taking whatever cuts we can off happy 12--18" plants right before they go into flower---the healthier stock roots faster, transitions better, and vegges more quickly.

Copy cat!

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Same over here man. Always have done this. I like to clean the bottoms up on the way to flower room any way...

I tel yal i veg under gavitas. Keep all my flavors happy in wait in 1 gallon's

I have one gavita over a 4x8 table coco drain to waist.

the gavita is set to only 250 watts. I can not believe the growth and the reaction of the plants on the ends of the table they grow just as well as the ones under the light. It is a full spectrum bulb and so I said why not. Something to consider Heady. Im impressed with the results.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
aw man gavita lights for my library that sounds awesome! i was gonna cheap out and go for an 8 bulb t5 but now you got me thinking...

actually a 315 would totally be amazing in there...:chin:

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Ya man you will be more then happy... I love the control of the gavitas and was amazed by the results in my veg. compared to all the other stuff Ive tried in the past led,t5-8-12, and of course MH...

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
I have the Gavitas off the table like 4 1/2 foot... But ya I have 12' ceilings... But Im only using
hmmm. Table legs are 24 and the light is 4.5' so from the floor Im 6.5 which is well in the bounds of being even in a tent... And Im sure you would have excellent results in lets say a 4'x8' tent with 7' high.... the reflection would even improve your results... The ends of my tables are not against walls or anything. so the light is not reflected bak on one end. But those plants grow just as perfect. Believe it. I could not believe it myself till I tried it...

Hope that helps Waxi...

you can see the structure on these they were back against the wall far from the light and just as perfect... these were vegged in this 3 gallon of coco for 3 weeks...

you can tell with my pics those lights are not too bright to take a photo... they are set on 250watts 24-7

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Same over here man. Always have done this. I like to clean the bottoms up on the way to flower room any way...

glad im not the only one without a "library", not keeping moms around is a necessary evil with all the relocating i do - something i look forward to doing when i have the stability, security and space - which could be sooner than later :woohoo:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aw man gavita lights for my library that sounds awesome! i was gonna cheap out and go for an 8 bulb t5 but now you got me thinking...

actually a 315 would totally be amazing in there...:chin:

duno why anyone would burn all that electricity on a DE (or bother underpowering them in veg to save power) when 315's do the trick nicely at 2.5 amps on 120 - beats the pants off an 8 bulb t5 as far as output and efficiency, and beats a DE for efficiency for sure if not in output
my 2 cents
:tiphat:

my 1kw in veg is dimmed to save power, waiting on another 315w from a trade which will replace the dimmed 1kw. the bulb im using in the dimmed veg is an older bulb, i dont usually dim bulbs, just saving power in this one case and going to throw the bulb away when in done with it, thanks for the heads up twisted

Last edited:

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
well believe it or not Im only drawing 8 something amps on a 120 with them dimmed down. I check my draw regularly on all my equipment with my trusty amp meter to make sure I dont have something going bad. I can see your point why buy an expensive DE and not even run it. But for me its the bulb. You can not beat the plant response to these light and reflectors if I didn't see it with my own eyes. And hey man Im not here to junk up your thread.... Ill stop bro... carry on

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well believe it or not Im only drawing 8 something amps on a 120 with them dimmed down. I check my draw regularly on all my equipment with my trusty amp meter to make sure I dont have something going bad. I can see your point why buy an expensive DE and not even run it. But for me its the bulb. You can not beat the plant response to these light and reflectors if I didn't see it with my own eyes. And hey man Im not here to junk up your thread.... Ill stop bro... carry on

please don't stop!
i love all this junk in my thread! gives it some more substance than i can provide...
i've not tried DE bulbs yet, but looking forward to them. for my application i'd most likely run them in bloom not veg (similar to my decision to run the 315w CMH in veg rather than bloom). but i for sure couldn't help myself from trying the DE out in veg also :D
im curious tho, TP, how many DE HPS are you running (dimmed to 250w) that draws those 8 amps?

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
please don't stop!
i love all this junk in my thread! gives it some more substance than i can provide...
i've not tried DE bulbs yet, but looking forward to them. for my application i'd most likely run them in bloom not veg (similar to my decision to run the 315w CMH in veg rather than bloom). but i for sure couldn't help myself from trying the DE out in veg also :D
im curious tho, TP, how many DE HPS are you running (dimmed to 250w) that draws those 8 amps?

Oh ok just didn't want derail anything on ya I've been known to do that lol... I have 3 running at 250 in veg... all on one 15 amp 120 breaker. I think I have a can fan and a few circulation fans on there too putting me at about 8.

I know it appears that the Gavita's are hps and yellow to the eye and I would have never thought they would do so well but a buddy of mine and I were talking he had this side room he was going to run and he said all I had was a Gavita and said he was just going to veg. and then flip with it. He is the one that told me "bro you have to try it for yourself" well that was at least a year ago. I was running Horti Blues 400's x 2 on one table and Numerous t5's 6500's over another and a 4300k 4x8' panel of 4300k Cree LED's I built. I have pics some ware. The total draw of all of these lights I had going was right around 1800 watts...

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
when we were doing the build out the greenbeams were like $550 and the only plug and play 315 lamps on the market. i really wanted to use them for the entire garden but we simply couldn't afford to properly outfit the space at that price.

now there are more competing products on the market and the prices have fallen into a more reasonable range.

the gavitas were the next best option. we went for the 1k lamps so in the future we'd have the ability to upgrade to a larger space and take our equipment with us. the 6/750 flex lamps had just come out and were hard to get, plus i talked with gavita and the 1000w bulbs dimmed to 6/750 only lost like 3% efficiency compared to the 750w bulbs iirc. the price difference didn't save us enough money to make the flex's worth it, and i'm very happy with how the lamps perform, so no buyer's remorse.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm sure that the DE's are a great system under the right circumstances- high ceilings and/or A/C, warehouse grows & so forth. They're not intended for air cooled hoods even though that option is available.

315's, otoh, are extremely versatile, good w/ low ceilings & highly amenable to air cooled hoods & even simpler temp control schemes.

Having built my space to exploit two stage cooling as much as possible I still had marginal summertime temps with a 1000w system. When I adapted it to 630w of CDM that issue disappeared while flowering & growth appear to be very much on par with the 1000w.

Anybody running a 400w conventional setup, for example, can readily convert it to a better 315 setup with one of the new 120v ballasts & a mogul 315 lamp. People w/ much greater experience than my own sometimes claim they grow as well as a 600w system. They're a really good way to go in a lot of situations.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Yes the Gavitas are meant for WH and GH applications. And my thought process was the same as Heady's couldn't really see the sense in buying the flex. Im always about more.. always have been Yes the Flex set at 825 is supposed to rival a conventional 1K. I know you can save money and time in many ways. But for me to be able to hang the light snip in the controller and be done.

Valid points Jhhnn. Ive heard good things...It would only make sense being able to run these lights closer to the canoy in a short ceiling or tent situation. What type of 1K system were you running before? What are you comparing the 630 CDM too? And when you say Duel Stage cooling you mean Air cooled hoods and Hvac system as well? Passive Air Exchange? Not sure I follow...

Had to do an edit..Wow i was just reading about the DL systems and controller. While more expnsive option over Gavitas. The controller has allot of options. Really cool. I would love to see the performance over HID with the 630watt for sure. You have peaked my interest. I was at a store the other day and saw one hanging and did not pay any attention.

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i've heard the 315s are intense enough that you still need good distance between bulb and canopy. is that your experience jhhnn?

fwiw i'm making those gavitas work in a low ceiling'd basement. where there's a will there's a way!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've heard the 315s are intense enough that you still need good distance between bulb and canopy. is that your experience jhhnn?

fwiw i'm making those gavitas work in a low ceiling'd basement. where there's a will there's a way!

i think that (greater) distance to canopy is necessary when 315 bulbs are vertically oriented like in the greenbeams & phantom & lec hoods, where light is focused and footprint is smaller, whereas with bulbs horizontally aligned in the hood has a slightly larger footprint and distance to canopy should be fine at 10-18 inches.

picture.php

^^ biggest buds in the tents right now belong to the "Ground Pounder Purps" a purple afghan that came2 me from seafour. lower buds are actually purple hued, smells all fruity, grapey, sweet with musky earth hints, barely.

picture.php

^ GroundPounder Purps nug, sideways - for some reason changing picture orientation in the widows folder doesnt fix it when i upload to icmag, so i've been using an online pic editor to adjust them, or paint.

picture.php

^ OGKB 2.0 nicely stacked and starting to swell and frost, smells rich earthy sweet "baked goods" of cookies, thanks chunkypigs

picture.php

^^ Catpiss x Moontang also via seafour, smelling like skunk basil (is that a thing?) right now.

picture.php

^So, this one plant (Minion City Diesel "Silver Grapefruit" pheno) has taken a turn downward, first a couple branches drooped, wilted and never came back (botom right), then most of the leaves turned crispy and a couple more branches wilted (center right) and haven't come back; that all happened in the course of about 10 days (warmish days, 80s).

The other 2 Minion City Diesel SG are looking nice, smelling all bitter grapefruity diesely funk, really looking forward to those; so it's not the strain just doing poorly in my space.
I'm guessing fusarium or pythium got to it. looks more like pyth from the crispy brown leaves, am i right?
i doubt it was the root aphids/fliers because there really aren't that many any more especially after that DE topcoat...

either way it's getting culled asap, turned the light off over it already, not going to waste any more time on that, except to realize what i did wrong or could do in the future to avoid such a loss.... ideas?
i'm going to check out the root zone when i dump soil this week, that might reveal something.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
did the stem turn brown anywhere? or whitish and soft?

if you do pull it up, cut a cross-section of the upper part of the root and look for brown specs or circles... if so, you've got the fusarium...

verticillium wilt looks similar to fusarium in the root... the xylem become clogged, stopping water from being absorbed properly by the stems and leaves... and then the roots rot.

VortexPower420

Veteran
I a healthy system like yours plant health should be great and the plants should beat back most problems.

There must be some other vector that damaged your roots/stalk and caused a dis-ease to take hold.

If you have ra I would guess them as a culprit.

bigshrimp

Veteran
That looks fungal for sure, also look for lesions down by the base of the stem. I would dispose of all that plant material, do not compost it. Be careful of contaminating other cuts too. These types of fungus are nearly impossible to eradicate once established.

Most of the time i have seen that was with organic coco mixes or soil mixes with a high proportion of coco. Overwet conditions and poorly composted materials are also suspect. Root aphids and fungus gnats are also known vectors.