What's new

<< My first buckets ever + k2 >>

G

I don't think it did, maybe your browser? Works fine for me, anyway... im IC 4 LIFE.

*stoned*

blazindro :joint:

ElDust

blazindro212 said:
I don't think it did, maybe your browser? Works fine for me, anyway... im IC 4 LIFE.

*stoned*

Thats horrible, it hasn't been loading for me for about a week in firefox, and it works fine in internet explorer, fuck firefox.

G

Again I appologize for the typo.... it shoud have been 5.85 not 6.85.....

Again I appologize for the typo.... it shoud have been 5.85 not 6.85.....

I just use that as a median..... I drift between 6.3 and 5.4 but try to stay between 5.7 and 6.1 but I think drifting between those number are helpful as others have indicated on this thread...

Read everything and then go with the most popular. As you gain experience try different things to see if they work better for the variable of you particular grows but get the basics first. Usually the most populars are pretty damn correct like Lucas formula then start the tweaks like a little Epsom's salt and bloom stimulators. Half of all the stuff is bullshit we try to go 120% from our usual 100%. But hell it's a great hobby and the journey is the point not always the destination.............. LOVE THIS SHIT>

Peace

G

Grommets are great.

I use 1/2" grommets for my bubblers.

Drill a 1/2" hole, use a knife to enlarge it a little tiny bit at a time by scraping around the inside edge until you can squeeze that grommet into the hole super tight.

Then squeeze a soapy T barb in the grommet hole.

Once you get good you can make a 6 unit bubbler system with Rubbermaid controller in like 1-2 hours.

All you have to do is operate a pump once a week.

No more manually topping up, draining, or any kind of labor involved.

Last edited:
G

I love this forum.

Eldust... I use grasscity on firefox, are you running a mac?

Alright, so on to my grow... it's a pain in the ass when I busted my hump getting this shit around and whatnot, then having 1 bucket that leaked again. Should be taken care of now... ill let ya know tonight. I'm worried about what to do next... i never thought about this part... haha

My seeds are in a moist paper towel, in a little dome. 3 of the 4 broke. I'll give the other one a few more days. What do I do now? I'm assuming put them in a rockwool cube and in my buckets? Foilar feed them for a few days until they touch and kazzam we've got dope?

Can I feed them grow big, or is it to early. If so, how diluted should my solution be? Should it be through a spray bottle or in the rockwool itself?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Did you already buy your rockwool? If not, I suggest Rapid Rooters/Super Starter plugs instead. Anyway, soak your rockwool in pH 5.5 water and shake out the excess so its damp but not water logged. Put the seed in, taproot down.

People use different methods at this point so YMMV but Ive had success with then putting the plug (rockwool) into the net pot with hydroton around it and putting them under fluoros until they sprout and get a couple small roots coming out of the plug (rockwool). Then you can just stick neoprene covers on and stick them in your system. If any of that is unclear just ask.

G

I'll get those plugs tonight, they're going in tomorrow. Do I soak the plug in 5.5 ph water too?

Do I have to use flouros? I only have one HPS. 400 watt.

What are the covers for? How will the light react to the plants with a cover over it.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
blazindro212 said:
I'll get those plugs tonight, they're going in tomorrow. Do I soak the plug in 5.5 ph water too?

Do I have to use flouros? I only have one HPS. 400 watt.

What are the covers for? How will the light react to the plants with a cover over it.

The plugs dont need soaking but you should dunk them to get them wet. Also remove excess water so they are well dampened.

You don't have to use fluoros but make sure the seedlings are at least 3 feet from the HPS. Its too much light and heat if they are too close.
The covers are just to keep light out of the netpots. They dont cover the plant, just the media and the roots.

These are 3" net pots with neoprene covers.

Last edited:
G

Are the covers absolutely going to help my grow? Or just keep my medium from drying out? I'm stoked.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
You can just cover the whole net pot with hydroton instead but the neoprene looks cleaner and overall, works better. With my aero system its a requirement since water will shoot thru the hydroton. A bucket system doesnt necessarily need them.

EDIT: btw, just noticed you said your closet was painted white. If you invest in mylar you will get better returns from your light. White isnt bad but its not the best and you did say you want to maximize.

Last edited:
G

Not disagreeing with IGT but have gone with white for these reasons....

Not disagreeing with IGT but have gone with white for these reasons....

I know mylar is optimal and will not argue that at all.

It really should be squeaky clean and absolutely flat to be optimal. I did it for a long time but found it too much work to keep the above criteria.

So I use white on everything. Nothing in my room is other than white except the plants themselves. After every grow I break everything down for cleaning. I take a couple of ounces of combo fungicide, bacteriacide, insecticide and stir it in well to my paint and repaint every time.

Again, IGT is right it is the best as far as percent of reflect but this is why I use white and the difference in light conservation is 2-4% this is why I chose what I did.
Just more for decision making.

Peace

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Not to be contrary, but most of what Ive seen has not supported that 2-4% assertion Bree. Ive seen that flat white has 80% reflection rate while mylar is 95%, give or take. I dont have the exact figures in front of me. Not hard to find either way.

Again, the OP asked about maximizing so mylar should be the way to go. You cant maximize half-way. Either you maximize or you dont.

G

I thought about mylar, but it could get real expensive... and I have textured walls. How far do I go with it? Entire room, which is like 7x5x8, i think, would be too much i think.

*completely burnt*

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
I got 2mm thick, 50ft roll of mylar for $25ish from an online seller and outfitted my 5x4 space with it, with a BUNCH left over (pics of it on my aero thread/gallery). Its not all that expensive considering the benefit. It only gets dirty if you foliar spray your plants.

EDIT: just thought about it and the few bucks you save on white paint isnt worth the few bucks you might lose on a bigger yield. Way too much long term potential in a roll of mylar to not use it if you can. Hell, I dont even HAVE walls and I put it up :)

Last edited:
G

Do i completely cover the room, ceiling and all? the floor is carpeted.

Looks good man. A coating of pipe dope or other thread sealer might help that grommet. Silicone is ok because it's flexible. I think Plumbers Goop might be a good alternative also.

I wouldn't bother with mylar. If you look through the grows getting 1 gpw or more it's no mylar making the difference, it's usually just straight up grow experience. On the other hand mylar won't hurt, but don't expect any yield increase.

Rez temp is one thing you will want to keep your eye on. Room temps are probably less important than water temps in a hydro, especially a recirculating. Higher water temps means the water hold less oxygen and much greater chances of bacteria infection.

Leaks can be so slow that you won't notice them. It's best to run your buckets on some type of plastic, lid or dishwash/water heater pan. A slow leak can build up at the bottom of the contianer without you noticing.

I'd suggest oasis cubes or rapid rooters vs rockwool. Keeping the PH on the low end of 5.5-7.5 is ideal and will help growth will edging out bacteria development. Read Big Tokes Water Chemistry thread if you haven't already.

PH and water temp mangement should be your largest concerns as in most hydro grows.

I wouldn't put the rockwool under the HPS until it has grow a set or two of leaves. The seedling doesn't need all that light, but you could fry it, though with low room temps you should be ok. Fluoros are more ideal for this stage of growth as they are for cloning.

Again with the nutes, just don't be too anxious to does it with nute. It will grow fine without them until it gets larger, but technically once it has roots it's ready for a very low dose nute solution. It's just better to error on the side of less nutes than more.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
The more you cover that can reflect light, the better. The walls are all that is needed usually though. If your light has a reflector (hope so) theres not much going upward so the mylar on the walls should send it back toward your plants.

Im definitely not trying to argue that white paint isnt effective but if you are looking for your best grow room, mylar is the best solution. For some reason, people tend to overlook that flat white paint should be washed too, eventually.

G

IGT you're probably right I just pulled that % off the top of my head or ass .....

IGT you're probably right I just pulled that % off the top of my head or ass .....

Blazin I would be willing to send ya a 4ft by 50 ft roll of the Mylar if you really want. I bought a roll a couple of years ago and it has been sitting in the closet ever since. I am runnin 75w per square foot so a little loss on the reflection won't hurt me a bit considering most consider 50w per sq ft the goal. I just go for the white because of the ease of use and ability to impregnated with the broad spectrum fungicide, bactericide and insecticide. Never had problems with those thing but sure can't hurt. If I was going to move my walls, say like with panels I may go through the trouble with the Mylar but my room is static and just grow them until completely covered. Grow Time is probably more correct with the percentages because I just took them off the top of my head or out my ass ......LOL

I still keep every thing but the plants and the inside of the light reflector white. Check my gallery. No impressive buds but you will see what I mean about the white. I just started posting here a couple months ago but been doing it about 20 years all told.

Jesusbuit has some good input I pretty much do the same.

Thanks IGT for correcting my percentages.....

Peace

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Bree makes a good point about the differences in light in growrooms. When you already have 75w/sqft the reflectivity isnt that important. Some of us are right on the 50w/sqft cusp so we need all the help we can get! If you are going with a powerful light in a smaller space then white paint should work ok for you. A smaller light in a bigger area will require mylar.

G

I think my 400 watt, in a closet like 7x5 should be alright. I'm concernes with rez temps now. What if my light gets the water too warm?

So can I use my hps for the seedlings if I keep low temps and raise it like 3 feet above, at least until I see a node or 2?