What's new

<< My first buckets ever + k2 >>

G

Alright, after a long drawn out debate on what my best bet was for my first " real" grow, I decided to go with bubble buckets. It's basic, and I just read like 5 walk-throughs on how to make a good bucket, and followed a little bit of each one. The grow is k2, not by choice but I happen to have a buddy who had some seeds for k2, and I figured first grow, why not?

So anyway, 400 watt HPS, 2 airstones to a bucket... assuming that makes a difference. The temp will most always be at 70-74 during the day and i'm working on being able to drop it to like 67-68 every night. I just want it to be steady. I'm gonna use foxfarm grow for veg and obviously bloom for flowering. I'll change the water prolly every other week.

What could I change? I have a flat white grow closet... and obviously looking for max yeilds.

P.S. what do you guys think of homemade CO2, if you will with the homemade.

blazindro :joint:

G

Alright, now for some help. I have leaks. Tiny, small and noob like leaks. How in the hell can I seal them, the right way. Any help is awsome....

G

Blazing...... and everyone hello.......

Blazing...... and everyone hello.......

:wave:
First nice looking buckets. Definitely agree with Rezin, silicone is the shit... I recommend the pure silicone from Walmart in the fish section. Some of the other silicons have antifungal agents which sounds fine at first but definitely affected a batch of clones I had.

Second,
I am going to do a thread on do it yourself CO2 with fermentation. I have been doing it for years with excellent results. Many disagree with it but it works great like I said been years. Even have some on here say they didn't believe me, so have ordered a brand new CO2 monitor (my old one was old and no way to recalibrate). Once I get it I will do a full thread with multiple measurements and detailed build and average costs. Soon as the meter arrives. The fermentation or yeast method is obviously very controversial on threads but this will help with that I think. I am even going to post the readings with a print out of the headlines of the current CNN headline so that they know the results are valid. Hard to believe you have to do that but in the interest to laying the issue to rest I am going to do it.

Pulling up a chair and laying out some good oil and firing up the vaporizer, OK better, ready for the show. Will help with any humble advice I can give. Like the light control you have on the buckets and have everything in my room white except the plants themselves. Mylar is excellent but to damn hard to keep clean and flat and if you don't you lose light and create hot spots.

Peace

Last edited:
G

I went with silicone, sealed it right up and it was neat and clean. I'm almost complete and ready for the seedlings... germinating now. I was told that 5.5 to 5.8 was just about perfect for my ph level. I guess I'm gonna scratch the co2... my temps are like perfect, highest they will get is 75, lowest is like 68.

I'm shooting for 1 gram per watt. Fox farm nutes, all the way through. What's a good boost to feed it late in flowering?

Anything else I should add / change to reach or exceed my goal of 1 gpw?

*edit*
I was also told 6 weeks veg to see 1 gpw, true? I really wanna push for no more than 4. I'm using k2 seedlings BTW

Last edited:
G

Checked out tyour thread...Im a bubbler boy myself and will be starting a diary soon...A few things I'd like to point out before you get going, and also a few questions

bUCKET LOOKS TIGHT...I like the way you have the nute level tubes installed...My tubs are 4.5 gal rubbermaids and Im goin to do the same thing to them...Where did you get the parts? (90deg elbows and such)...Where theY purchased at a hardware store or from a hydrostore?

One thing I see that might give you trouble is the way you have the airstones mounted inside your buckets...If your using the cheapo blue stones (which it looks like you are) removing and replacing clogged stones could be a hassle mounted in the bucket they way they are...Might wanna look that over again

Ill be watching this thread for sure...Ill pipe in an offer any advice and/or comments (not that I know shit neways lol)...Feel free to do the same when my thread gets up and going

Good luck and grow safe bro

EDIT: heres a glimpse of my bubble pot on the left...Not a good pic but just to give you an idea

Last edited:
G

I bought everything at the depot. Prolly like 5 bucks. The buckets were obviously more. I got the idea for the water level tube was from a great tutorial I found on another forum... if I can find it i'll post. The airstones are sitting in perfect little holes on my pvc. They are solid in the hole I drilled, but will come out easily for cleaning.

What methods can I use to increase my yeilds at all? LST? Definatly follow and give some advice if you see anything worth changing.

ooops... :joint:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Koolbloom is a good late flower boost. Wait until week 4 or 5 of flower to start it. I just gave my girls a taste at week 3 and got some tip burn (but a bit of bud swell too so not a total screwup).

Glad the silicone worked for you. The smell reminds me of salt n vinegar chips, my fav. In the future consider rubber grommets or o-rings for a cleaner build.

G

I used O-rings this time, but a few didn't seal correctly. I decided to silicone all joints. Worked great. Whos Koolboom made by? How much per gal.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Grommets that fit most anything can be found with enough research. Google "rubber grommets" and you will find many manufacturers. I def. plan to use grommets instead of silicone next build.

Koolbloom is a GH product. There is a powder and a liquid version. Powder is cheaper overall but liquid is easier to use. Search around, lots of info to be found here and on the web (including GH's site). I cant give a dosage recommendation since Im new to it. Either way, get to the 12/12 then worry about flowering boosters. Take it one step at a time.

ElDust

Ahh I see you followed that bubble bucket tutorial from grass city, I bought all my parts for it but it seems that grass city has been down so I can't get the directions again. Do you by any chance have them?

G

Hello Blazin and IGT and all.........

Hello Blazin and IGT and all.........

Blazin-- Definately agree with IGT about the grommets. Can take stuff apart to really clean and if done right... no leaks. The GH Flora series is a great one to start with and even later if you like it. Lucas formula is best mix I have found with 1/4 t. of epsom salt. Like IGT says..... keep it simple at first. With just GH Flora you can bring in an excellent yield. The others only boost a bit.

CO2 will do more for you than the boosters at least until you have a few under your belt. Like I said ... as soon as my Blueberry crop is done. I am going to do a full grow with my new DIY aero and DIY CO2. Just take one step at a time. I started hydro years ago and tried to get all the boosts and gadgets and such and ended up having to go back to the basics which some of those basics I have stuck with until now still.

Peace

G

Oh Blazin..... I forgot the pH.....

Oh Blazin..... I forgot the pH.....

pH is best between 5.7 and 6.1 with 6.85 perfect. Let it fluctuate between these parameters not at an exact number. 5.5 and above is not too bad but above 6.1 is not good ...... Thant's in my opinion...

Peace

G

Oh shit thank IGT for catching that............

Oh shit thank IGT for catching that............

I did mean 5.85

Thanks that was a miss type. Damn I hate that. Specially when helping the starters. Thanks a million, I might have really lead him down a dark alley.

Peace

G

*DELETE* This garbage I accidentally posted. Sorry fellas. I seriously love my new hobbie, fuck a dealer.

Last edited:
G

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of weird numbers for my PH. What should I keep it at, seriously? 6-6.85?

El dust, I did follow parts of that tutorial... I changed a few things because, it fits me better. It's so easy to follow, and adapt to your setting. I'm having huge issues with my buckets... his idea of o-rings was great... they dont seal correctly, maybe I did something wrong. I was neat, clean and kept everything tight and it still leaked.

So hit my crop with KoolBloom, a few weeks before harvest?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
blazindro212 said:
Yeah, I'm getting a lot of weird numbers for my PH. What should I keep it at, seriously? 6-6.85?

El dust, I did follow parts of that tutorial... I changed a few things because, it fits me better. It's so easy to follow, and adapt to your setting. I'm having huge issues with my buckets... his idea of o-rings was great... they dont seal correctly, maybe I did something wrong. I was neat, clean and kept everything tight and it still leaked.

Keep the pH between 5.6 and 6.2. Swinging too far out of that range will hurt nutrient uptake. Dont be afraid to let it drift around some in that range though. Drift up to 6.2 then bring it back down to 5.6 and let it go back up again. Your nute choice will have an effect since some are buffered (GH products, for example) and will stay pretty close to ideal at 5.8. Note that Bree typo'ed the 6.85. It was supposed to say 5.85!

Sorry it still leaked. Theres nothing wrong with silicone to seal up those pesky areas. You will probably find that the parts that leaked even with O-rings have burrs in the hole or something like that.

Use the KB very lightly. Its very strong and will hurt your plants if overdone. Cut your base nute strength back 1/3 before you use it. A couple ml per gallon of water will do the trick. Thats still a long way off so worry about your base nutes for now.

ElDust

blazindro212 said:

I'm hoping I don't get that problem. He said he didn't like to use silicone because when he had to move around his shit it would crack and what not. Anyways, do you know what happened to grasscity? Hope it didn't shut down.

Latest posts

Latest posts