What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help to identify serious problem

shabamboo42

Hello all,

I am a first time grower who has encountered a serious issue with one of my plants. I am having an issue with the leaves on a 2 month old plant, still in veg as waiting to resolve issue before making the switch. Tried comparing them to charts but couldn’t quite find a match. So far have tried a flush and ph up/down to no avail. This has been ongoing for about 2 weeks now. Was hoping someone with experience could point me in the right direction.

Some background:
plant has been fed using Flora Nova grow. Watering every 2 days depending on how dry coco medium is with. Watering method of 3 with nutrients and one with pH neutral water. Using LED grow light about 18cm away from plant canopy, as per manufactures guidelines. Average temp during day was 75f/25c.
My other plant in same area showing no signs of the same symptoms.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_130525.jpg
    IMG_20200728_130525.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200728_130543.jpg
    IMG_20200728_130543.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200728_130601.jpg
    IMG_20200728_130601.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200728_130609.jpg
    IMG_20200728_130609.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 20

Mattbho

What did u flush with ? Also looks like extreme ph trauma. i dont own ph up . Ph is something u dont want to drastically change.

Could be pest related but i doubt it .

Your treating coco like soil and that doesn't help
. Not really going to get into coco and calcium theres plenty to read in the coco forums .

1 )Get rid of all the dead shit , its just depressing for you and the garden . Give it half strength grow food phed to 5.8 -6 every watering .

You probably have some root damage to recover from . So dont expect a 1 day turn around. Once it starts growing and drinking you can start to think about upping the food .

Pictures if the unaffected may help like a garden shot.
We may see the start of something u dont

shabamboo42

Not sure if its root bound but i think its a mixture of nutrient burn and ph levels of the coco being 8/9.

I will remove all the dead leaves and bring the ph in level with what you have said.

Would flushing with just ph'd water help to clear out the nutrient burn?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hello all,

I am a first time grower who has encountered a serious issue with one of my plants. I am having an issue with the leaves on a 2 month old plant, still in veg as waiting to resolve issue before making the switch. Tried comparing them to charts but couldn’t quite find a match. So far have tried a flush and ph up/down to no avail. This has been ongoing for about 2 weeks now. Was hoping someone with experience could point me in the right direction.

Some background:
plant has been fed using Flora Nova grow. Watering every 2 days depending on how dry coco medium is with. Watering method of 3 with nutrients and one with pH neutral water. Using LED grow light about 18cm away from plant canopy, as per manufactures guidelines. Average temp during day was 75f/25c.
My other plant in same area showing no signs of the same symptoms.

1. You should use coco specific nutrients if you're using coco as a medium.

Flora Nova Grow has an NPK of 7-4-10. Too much nitrogen, too little phosphorus for good root growth. High P/K (Plagron Green Sensation would be 0-9-10 for instance) and top that off with 0.1 EC of epsom salt. P for roots, K for stems and branches, Mg for healthy phototropic foliage. Nitrogen is really for growth, which you don't want or need until the heavy flowering phase, at which time Ammonium Nitrate is the nitrogen you want to feed. And K/Potassium, a shortage of which often presents as a nitrogen deficiency.

2. Rule of thumb for pot size is 1 gallon for 1 foot of expected growth. A 5 foot plant should be in a 5 gallon pot. This is the easiest way to avoid nutrient deficiencies. When you use such a large pot, you should always use lower nutrient concentrations.

SOLUTION

- Repot into a larger pot with more coco coir.
- Feed a high P/K late flowering solution at 0.4 EC, and espom salt at 0.1 EC.
- Keep the pH the same at the medium until late flowering: 6.0 pH.
- Only feed again when top of the coco coir is dry in the morning. Forget about a schedule, with this method you're attuning watering/feeding more to the plant's individual conditions - size, growth, relative humidity, etc.
- After the plant's growth takes off, remove damaged leaves.

So to sum it up - the wrong nutrients, too small a pot, overfeeding.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Plants seriously do not like going dry in coco... definitely be sure to water them when they're still moist. A pocket of coco drying out will also cause issues with the part of the plant those roots are feeding.

Mattbho

Yes what the above poster said . Even if ppm were 2000 and ph was 11 you DO NOT want to use pure water you will leach nuitrients that you want to stay in the coco . Or else next time you feed the coco will take what it needs 1st leaving plant with an incomplete nutrient profile. When the plant is dying you can use straight water . I was told 7 days is a long end of crop flush in coco .

RED 1

Re pot after a good flushing(not in coco),clean her up,and bend(LST) top down
LEDs? lift them up a bit,and,let her with just water to recover for a week

Latest posts

Latest posts