What's new

variegated cannabis

Betterhaff

Veteran
Does this count? <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57364&pictureid=1341139" target="_blank">View Image
That’s a very interesting bud. Curious if the white portions were separated from the green and then smoked separately. Wondering about the difference in taste there might be.

I had a variegated hoya and once in a while it would throw a branch completely devoid of chlorophyll. They still had anthocyanins (purple) in the younger growth but when matured was completely white. My thinking was the food being produced by the rest of the plant was keeping the white shoots alive. White cuttings would not survive on their own.

B

bench warmer

I've got a Blowfish F2 cut (my own selection) that likes to throw the occasional variegated branch.

View Image

:tiphat:

Cool selection any! :good:

The F3's of that same line showed similar variation.

picture.php

B

bench warmer

I'm not sure about any other plants displaying the variegation yet. That pic was taken by a mate whom I'd given a few seeds to. He is growing another from those seeds but that other plant is all green.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Looks like it has also nutrient deficiencies which BTW can cause/trigger (at least in other plants) variegation especially if the affected plant has a susceptibility for that trait (latent variegation).

neongreen

Veteran
Looks like it has also nutrient deficiencies which BTW can cause/trigger (at least in other plants) variegation especially if the affected plant has a susceptibility for that trait (latent variegation).

Interesting to know. I'm certainly finding that the heavy feeding regime I'm putting my BF through this season has apparently made the variegated parts much less white, and more yellow/green. I think foliars have helped especially in this respect.

:tiphat:

G

Gr33nSanta

That’s a very interesting bud. Curious if the white portions were separated from the green and then smoked separately. Wondering about the difference in taste there might be.

I had a variegated hoya and once in a while it would throw a branch completely devoid of chlorophyll. They still had anthocyanins (purple) in the younger growth but when matured was completely white. My thinking was the food being produced by the rest of the plant was keeping the white shoots alive. White cuttings would not survive on their own.

for the record, those are not albino buds rather bleached buds from being too close to the lights, typically LEDs. I know back in the day people called them hash tips until we figured it was simply bleaching from the lights.

romanoweed

i have a Vietblack x Hoabac with Varigated Leaf.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I wana preserve, i anyway was about to make Seeds. So for the most Causes of Variegations, i might just cross it to whatever Strain? Could you people tell me if this works? I CAN NOT hold cuttings as outddorgrower, i could only try to get a Vanilluna-Albino if needed. But im aiming for a White Tiger so i will cross with Vietblack, wich resembles Blackish Phenos probably, since this is already halfway Vietb. ! should i? White Tiger?

---------------

Thats a Pic of Vietblack without Stripes (pics not mine)Imagine with Stripes:

picture.php

picture.php

romanoweed

Ok, after reading as much possible, i still have no Idea what is the best way to preserve. Some say backcrossing, some say just make seeds with it, some say bouth parents need to be Albino, otherwise it wont be passed on at all. Some say, also in case of Vanilluna it is that inbreed , it will anyway mutate all the time, so it reapears cause that?

But there was a copy of Study, i think it was in this Thread, where it says basically: often taking cuttings will work, and sometimes its even passed on by making Seeds with it.
I decided to make Seeds, so why did i took Cutting: because im an Outdoorgrower, to place it to my Vietnamblack-Spot to be dusted.

picture.php

picture.php

I will end up with a 3/4 Vietblack , 1/4 Hoabac Plant then. Just a small Cutting, hope it works.

romanoweed

Morphed a Pic of : Vietblack and Vanilluna in Paintprogram together. With much Imagination, you can get a impression of the White Tiger. haha

picture.php

Last edited:

TyroneShoelace

Neat thread! I love the oddities. I had a Flo F5 Male that kept a variegated branch going even after repeatedly being pruned off. He's gone now, but he knocked up a few ladies before he left. Glad he wasn't sterile. Great old school dank smell.

picture.php

picture.php

Mr. Stinky

Not technically variegated, but along the lines of it. This was a chimera male I found in Cinderella99 Joey weed stock. Seeds made were normal. The cuts would root, but not thrive unless it was a half green cutting. I plucked the green balls off when I made seeds. I actually expected to find an albino in the bx of those, but none showed up so I dropped the idea. Neat to tinker with tho.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

TyroneShoelace

Not technically variegated, but along the lines of it. This was a chimera male I found in Cinderella99 Joey weed stock. Seeds made were normal. The cuts would root, but not thrive unless it was a half green cutting. I plucked the green balls off when I made seeds. I actually expected to find an albino in the bx of those, but none showed up so I dropped the idea. Neat to tinker with tho.

Very cool! Have you smoked any of his offspring?

romanoweed

How many Plants Offspring you tried @Stinky?

Mine turned out Male ... Saved pollen, i hope it works for me, i will cross it back to Vietblack.

look:
picture.php

I heard basically any Theory how to preserve it:

-passing on trough male impossible, but trough female possible
-bouth parents need to be albino
-backcrossing (means multiple crossings back to albino) possible

So, im confused. All i can do is hope with my pollen. Grow many offspring out. Possibly find someone with an Albino of similar Genetic like my beloved Vietblack.

Mr. Stinky

I dont think it's a genetic mutation that can be passed on as a trait. It's somethinglike a damaged embryo and a part of the tissue lacks the code for producing chlorophyll. It gets its life juice from the green part of the plant but dies if cut and rooted. So a solid white plant wouldn't make it past cotyledon stage I'm sure.

Offspring grow and smoke normal. Wasn't the best male for the job so I didn't follow the line real deep. I didnt get any white expressions in hundreds of f1, f2, or bx. That's as far as I had patience for. I did have a low germination rate, so its possible the damaged allele bred dead embryos.

Pretty pics is all. Most breeders have probably had one or 2 at some point. It's just a defect I believe

Last edited:

Miasa Mura

I got some seeds that have been for sale of the Woodland Digital from Lupos Cannaseed that have the highest degree of variegation I’ve ever found. Beautiful plants with flowers that turn white/pink depending on climate. Excited to grow the bx from the selection I did earlier this spring.

I learned from saving seed and separating it from certain tissue that seeds from branches that were completely white/pink produced offspring that were completely albino and died days after planting due to lack of chlorophyll.
(30 out of 30)

Seeds grown from completely green tissue with no signs of variegation produced green offspring with no variegation.
(10 out of 10)

seeds from plant material with green and variegation produced variegated offspring.
(5 out of 5 with more coming popping next month).

this lead me to the theory that collecting the first ripe seeds from my plants might lead to faster flowering varieties? Has anyone has done any test on this idea before?