What's new

Shade cloth question

petert

I just ordered a 30X48 double poly semi gable greenhouse..Pretty much everything but the heater, shutters and exhaust fan. I'll add those if I venture into winter harvst territory.

I'm close to 46N in Central Oregon… we do get hot weather, lots of windy days, my question is..with the 4' sidewalls rolled up, fans going and the end wall doors open, should I need a shade cloth?

Easy7

Veteran
You want a lot of light. There is a trade off with greenhouses. They can block uv waves which uv makes better resin. But they also protect the resin from hard rains. Also they help conceal.

milkman1

You might. I've found it necessary to use 30% shade cloth during the hot summer months inside our hoophouse in sunny Colorado. It dropped temps to outside ambient and I noticed no difference in growth rates compared to full sun plants. Def get that exhaust fan ready, I use mine all year round.

petert

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I keep it just in case!
My weather for mid-June through mid- sept is 80-85 with entry of wind and the occasional hot spell of 100 degrees days.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I want to put a <10% shading cloth mainly for concealment but also for some light diffusion. Makes sense to me.

vostok

Veteran
The only time I can rec. the use of shade cloth is for when your plants soil temp is above 30c/79f for many its Australia or south Texas for between 10am and 2pm as above these temps the plants but shuts down and goes dormant, but for glasshouse maybe not, unless you do a lot of germing?

Latest posts

Latest posts