What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Newt Gingrich on drug laws

kno3brock

Bold are questions to Gingrich:

Three Republican presidential candidates have shown an openness to handing over control of drugs and medical marijuana to the states. Would you continue the current federal policy making marijuana illegal in all cases or give the states more control?

I would continue current federal policy, largely because of the confusing signal that steps towards legalization sends to harder drugs.

I think the California experience is that medical marijuana becomes a joke. It becomes marijuana for any use. You find local doctors who will prescribe it for anybody that walks in.

Why shouldn't the states have control over this? Why should this be a federal issue?

Because I think you guarantee that people will cross state lines if it becomes a state-by-state exemption.

I don't have a comprehensive view. My general belief is that we ought to be much more aggressive about drug policy. And that we should recognize that the Mexican cartels are funded by Americans.

Expand on what you mean by "aggressive."

In my mind it means having steeper economic penalties and it means having a willingness to do more drug testing.

In 1996, you introduced a bill that would have given the death penalty to drug smugglers. Do you still stand by that?

I think if you are, for example, the leader of a cartel, sure. Look at the level of violence they've done to society. You can either be in the Ron Paul tradition and say there's nothing wrong with heroin and cocaine or you can be in the tradition that says, 'These kind of addictive drugs are terrible, they deprive you of full citizenship and they lead you to a dependency which is antithetical to being an American.' If you're serious about the latter view, then we need to think through a strategy that makes it radically less likely that we're going to have drugs in this country.

Places like Singapore have been the most successful at doing that. They've been very draconian. And they have communicated with great intention that they intend to stop drugs from coming into their country.

In 1981, you introduced a bill that would allow marijuana to be used for medical purposes. What has changed?

What has changed was the number of parents I met with who said they did not want their children to get the signal from the government that it was acceptable behavior and that they were prepared to say as a matter of value that it was better to send a clear signal on no drug use at the risk of inconveniencing some people, than it was to be compassionate toward a small group at the risk of telling a much larger group that it was okay to use the drug.

It's a change of information. Within a year of my original support of that bill I withdrew it.

Ron Paul and Barney Frank have introduced a similar bill almost every year since.

You have to admit, Ron Paul has a coherent position. It's not mine, but it's internally logical.

Speaking of Ron Paul, at the last debate, he said that the war on drugs has been an utter failure. We've spent billions of dollars since President Nixon and we still have rising levels of drug use. Should we continue down the same path given the amount of money we've spent? How can we reform our approach?

I think that we need to consider taking more explicit steps to make it expensive to be a drug user. It could be through testing before you get any kind of federal aid. Unemployment compensation, food stamps, you name it.

It has always struck me that if you're serious about trying to stop drug use, then you need to find a way to have a fairly easy approach to it and you need to find a way to be pretty aggressive about insisting--I don't think actually locking up users is a very good thing. I think finding ways to sanction them and to give them medical help and to get them to detox is a more logical long-term policy.

Sometime in the next year we'll have a comprehensive proposal on drugs and it will be designed to say that we want to minimize drug use in America and we're very serious about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/newt-gingrich-drug-laws-entitlements-campaigning-yahoo-news-152936251.html

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Gingrich is the most "establishment" candidate ever to run for president. If he is elected, we are sure to see more of the same. Exponential growth of the federal government in every aspect, more war, more debt, more everything the federal gov't produces. Parasitism.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
as soon as all the pricks running our federal and state governments get tested.... ;)

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Not gonna vote for him anyway. It's ok to fuck around on a couple of wives but not ok to use a plant that provides relief. Fuck his adultery whoring ass.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
good ol republicans and their 'small gov't message' (unless it involves your naughty parts, or enjoyment).

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Not gonna vote for him anyway. It's ok to fuck around on a couple of wives but not ok to use a plant that provides relief. Fuck his adultery whoring ass.
Had his second ex wife sign their divorce papers while she was in the hospital getting treatment for cancer.

Class Act # 1.

His message is consistent(ly heartless).

draztik

Veteran
Gingrich is the most "establishment" candidate ever to run for president. If he is elected, we are sure to see more of the same. Exponential growth of the federal government in every aspect, more war, more debt, more everything the federal gov't produces. Parasitism.
I agree he is a total piece of sh*t.

My question in this case is, why ask why? Gingrich?! Gimme a break! If Obama doesn't kill us, this guy will definitely sink the world.

G

Guest 88950

who cares!

neither party has ANY interest in a sensable approach to drug use / abuse so nothing changes.

too much money in the police state mentality.

im usually more optimistic but this country is being Governed into the ground.

Greece...............here we come!

GP73LPC

Veteran
the politicians aren't really even making the decisions...

the people that own the federal reserve are pulling the strings....

it's the rich against everyone else. that's why Occupy Wall Street means something...

the 99% are starting to get pissed off and IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME...

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
If your phone rings and you hear a recorded Newt Gingrich campaign ad, immediately press "0" on your phone and you will more than likely* be connected to a live person who is managing the automated call process.

When you get this individual on the phone, feel free to let him know why ol' Newt is not your candidate of choice.

*This works about 75% of the time although the poor schmuck who answers the phone is usually pretty "deer in the headlights" about the whole conversation as he's just paid to ride herd on the phone system.

Preacher

The whole thing is terrible but I'll go ahead and rather explicitly highlight the one specific part of this text that screamed out at me so loudly that I had to go Google legal definitions just to properly understand precisely how fucked-up his opinions are. I've tried to illustrate exactly what my mind did in the process of reading this.
In 1996, you introduced a bill that would have given the death penalty to drug smugglers. Do you still stand by that?

I think if you are, for example, the leader of a cartel, sure. Look at the level of violence they've done to society. You can either be in the Ron Paul tradition and say there's nothing wrong with heroin and cocaine or you can be in the tradition that says, 'These kind of addictive drugs are terrible, they deprive you of full citizenship and they lead you to a dependency which is antithetical to being an American.' If you're serious about the latter view, then we need to think through a strategy that makes it radically less likely that we're going to have drugs in this country.

Places like Singapore have been the most successful at doing that. They've been very draconian. And they have communicated with great intention that they intend to stop drugs from coming into their country.
Newt Gingrich said:
Newt Gingrich said:
They've been very draconian.
Newt Gingrich said:
draconian
Newt Gingrich said:
draconian

Draconian Laws: A code of laws prepared by Draco, the celebrated lawgiver of Athens, that, by modern standards, are considered exceedingly severe. The term draconian has come to be used to refer to any unusually harsh law.

excessive (root of exceedingly): DAMAGES, EXCESSIVE. Such damages as are unreasonably great, and not warranted by law.

So he's advocating Singapore's system of laws that are so severe they shouldn't even exist, not only by our eighth amendment but by legal theory in general. What a lovely human being.

GP73LPC

Veteran
If your phone rings and you hear a recorded Newt Gingrich campaign ad, immediately press "0" on your phone and you will more than likely* be connected to a live person who is managing the automated call process.

When you get this individual on the phone, feel free to let him know why ol' Newt is not your candidate of choice.

*This works about 75% of the time although the poor schmuck who answers the phone is usually pretty "deer in the headlights" about the whole conversation as he's just paid to ride herd on the phone system.

that's great... i want a call now...

from any of the cocksuckers... ;)

Max Yields

Since I've read thru the first page, and it seems we are all strongly in agreement, I'm going to type a heartfelt FUCK NEWT GINGRICH!!! I don't like him or his policies at all! He's just another overpaid cocksucker in politics trying to comfortably fuck the public and all its citizens, while he conveniently lines his coffers at the peoples expense. Newt can go swallow one whole (or quite many for that matter) and croak from semen asphixiation for all I care.

On another note, I mean I know this is extremely irrelevant, but his name is Newt. Say it to yourself a couple times to fully experience the ridiculousness of this fucktards name...Newt...LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts