What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ecsd...

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I can't say I've ever seen anything labeled with an, "ix".

I've always seen people just using "bx" to describe any type of back crossing.

3rd-3yed

Veteran
I can't say I've ever seen anything labeled with an, "ix".

I've always seen people just using "bx" to describe any type of back crossing.

There are some thought, like JJ did with his Stardawg line.

Yes Bx or BC are standard nomenclature names for backcrossing.

Backcrossing is used more frequently than incross mostly as it's the first step before an incross work and also as breeders think it's the faster way (but not the best, look Chimera's post on it) to fix a rare clone only traits when no original seedline is avaible.

The idea is outcrossing an interisting clone only you like with a male selected for it's desired traits like good vigor, structure and non dominant genes responsible of male's terpenes/high (or others traits you consider inferior) when their "F1" progeny is tested. Then you start again finding a good F1 male showing the clone traits you're looking for to make the first backcrossed generation and then testing again progeny is needed to see how the genes combine. And repeat same process for next ones, as long as you find needs to further the stabilisation of the original clone's traits you've used at the beginning. But this can lead you to a Bx5 without even reaching your goals or expectations depending on the genetics used for outcrossing or if you've failed in your selection process.

The incross is a better way to stabilise a specific genepool and fixing traits for long term generations like when stabilising an F1 hybrid line at F6 or F7 . The first IX generations may have recessive genes from the outcrosser you've used showing again in some phenotypes but after few more gen of work it'll start becoming more stable again. This way is more usefull if you're planning to do an IBL Indianna Bubblegum seedline that breed true like an IBL line should be, but starting first from an IBG clone backcrossed line is the only way to reach this goal.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
F1 = A x B
F2 = AB X AB
Ix1 F1 = F1 x F2
Bx1 F1 = A x AB
Bx1 F2 = A/AB x A/AB
Bx1 Ix1 F1 = Bx1 F1 x Bx1 F2

dank.Frank

3rd-3yed

Veteran
F1 = A x B
F2 = AB X AB
Ix1 F1 = F1 x F2
Bx1 F1 = A x AB
Bx1 F2 = A/AB x A/AB
Bx1 Ix1 F1 = Bx1 F1 x Bx1 F2

dank.Frank

Thank you Frank, but I'm not agreeing with some of the definitions used here as an incross is :

1) an individual produced by crossing inbred lines of the same breed or strain

or

2) a mating between individuals from inbred lines of the same breed or strain

So this would also include as Ix1 things like the so called Bx1 F2.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective.

"Four mating systems are commonly used to effect inbreeding – self-fertilization, full-sib mating, half-sib mating, and backcrossing."

Okay, great. That does nothing to tell us what actual filial generation each of these are or how it is representative of their parental selections.

In this instance, we are looking at half-sibling crosses as being an Ix and full sibling crosses as F2, 3, 4, etc, Bx as being a backcross and S1, 2, 3 is obviously self-fertilization.

Everything we are discussing is INBREEDING - but that doesn't adequately describe the Ix'ed lines enough to give indication of heritage. Once heritage is established, the filial generation is important, which is why people need to realize that a Bx1 is still an F1 in much the same way that an Ix1 is an F1. It's the first generation of that particular pairing of genes. If you continue that line, it is Ix1 F2, F3, etc, not Ix1, Ix2, Ix3. Changing the number associated with the Ix would indicate a different half-sibling pairing.

dank.Frank

3rd-3yed

Veteran
... Once heritage is established, the filial generation is important, which is why people need to realize that a Bx1 is still an F1 in much the same way that an Ix1 is and F1. It's the first generation of that particular pairing of genes. If you continue that line, it is Ix1 F2, F3, etc, not Ix1, Ix2, Ix3. Changing the number associated with the Ix would indicate a different half-sibling pairing. dank.Frank
Ok thank you again for clearing this up Frank, at first I thought there was no needs to mention an incross filial generation with the F1 or F2 tag as I thought Ix2 was meant for this second filial generation and not another half sibling pairing... I've also learnt something new today !

Last edited:

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
attachment.php

KG Sour D bx2 one of many.

Attachments

• 47583085_400006550540679_722810734096175101_n.jpg
    47583085_400006550540679_722810734096175101_n.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Latest posts