What's new

New California Law on Cannabis could ruin the business

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Sitting back and hating will get you nowhere.

but you don't understand! bitching & moaning because it aint set up perfectly is just SO much more fun, LOL! i mean, lets not even TRY to improve on it in the future, lets sit on our hands & whine until we get what we want...:laughing:

Taxes are high, but the cost of production is going to go down. Once people can grow in hoop houses and greenhouses in prime growing locations, yields are going to go through the roof. Supply will be at an all time high, meaning that prices will steadily decline as companies try to corner the market by selling at lower prices than their competitors. It may not play out that way overnight, but once the big big grows start popping up, prices will be going down, not up.

jump /injack

Veteran
State will gang up on California Growers and ruin them.

State will gang up on California Growers and ruin them.

Taxes are high, but the cost of production is going to go down. Once people can grow in hoop houses and greenhouses in prime growing locations, yields are going to go through the roof. Supply will be at an all time high, meaning that prices will steadily decline as companies try to corner the market by selling at lower prices than their competitors. It may not play out that way overnight, but once the big big grows start popping up, prices will be going down, not up.

People are not factoring in Mexico which just legalized MJ. With the low labor costs using Mexican slave labor super low, California growers are going to be wiped out, there will be a specialized clientele that will want the best but...it will be illegal to do so with out the certification needed by the State [remember the Guards Union will be calling the shots here] and they won't give it except for those that have the financial wherewithal. Mexico uses huge hydo operations, under roof and 4 stories tall for tomatoes, those places will be changed to cannabis overnight. With NAFTA already in place its just a matter of shipping in by rail and truck.

Last edited:

iBogart

Veteran
People are not factoring in Mexico which just legalized MJ. With the low labor costs using Mexican slave labor super low, California growers are going to be wiped out, there will be a specialized clientele that will want the best but...it will be illegal to do so with out the certification needed by the State [remember the Guards Union will be calling the shots here] and they won't give it except for those that have the financial wherewithal. Mexico uses huge hydo operations, under roof and 4 stories tall for tomatoes, those places will be changed to cannabis overnight. With NAFTA already in place its just a matter of shipping in by rail and truck.

Sounds like the good old days.

I really don't see Mexico being a factor in the Cali market too soon (until the U.S. government legalizes it federally). True, Mexico will likely start producing more. Anything that makes it to California will be black market until federally legal here right? Trade can't even legally take place between med states because of the interstate commerce act and DEA.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'd like to see Mexico start working toward QUALITY over QUANTITY. they have the climate etc to grow long-flowering sativas, something difficult to do here in the US. plus, they need to go bring some middle eastern types over to teach them the art of hashish making. the days of Mexico cranking out tons of brickweed profitably are over, but niche markets like those two examples should go over big time. personally, i would love to find real Alcapulco Gold again, or hash made from it, LOL! :woohoo:

You took the words out of my mouth. If anyone had ever shown Mexican producers how to make hash, the American weed market would be totally different than it is today.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a quote i read somewhere years ago seems somewhat apropos to this situation - "an intelligent victor, whenever possible, will present his demands to the vanquished in installments" the War on Drugs is nearly over; we have, for all intents & purposes, won it. the only way it will go wrong is if we allow our reach to exceed our grasp, trying for too much at once & getting the undecided against us. take only what you need now, we can always come back for more later after they relax/recover from THIS fucking...:tiphat: :woohoo:

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
i'd like to see Mexico start working toward QUALITY over QUANTITY. they have the climate etc to grow long-flowering sativas, something difficult to do here in the US. plus, they need to go bring some middle eastern types over to teach them the art of hashish making. the days of Mexico cranking out tons of brickweed profitably are over, but niche markets like those two examples should go over big time. personally, i would love to find real Alcapulco Gold again, or hash made from it, LOL! :woohoo:
Alcapulco Gold.
Yeah, was pretty good.
I am curious about the micro business licenses. Would like to learn more. Hearing something like you can grow and distribute. I like that. I can sell what I grow.

:biggrin:

I think there's something fundamental most growers have forgotten. Every other agricultural crop in the world is a commodity that sells by the ton. For this year's price of one pound of marijuana you can buy a few tons of next year's wheat. People can buy futures in wheat, apples, lumber, livestock, and so on. Do you think pot has a higher production cost than cattle?

Don't misintpret what I'm saying to mean I like seeing them giving my girls to Marlboro but the financial part of this anti-legalization argument is fucking ridiculous. People make money growing apples. A small orchard is dozens of acres. If you think you and all of your competitors are going to get $1100/lb (current average wholesale rate for rec in WA) when y'all are growing between one hundred and several thousand acres of pot apiece, keep dreaming.

And that will be permitted under the MMRSA. The BMMR is regulating license categories, not numbers of licenses within each category. If you live there, go find yourselves some land in a favorable county and with a spring on it that doesn't run off property right fucking now.

At this point it's all just a matter of slope between where we are now and pot being a commodity like wheat. CA can make tax rates on pot low. They're the biggest soybean producer in the world if I remember right. Switch over half those farms and they'll supply the country with weed priced like tobacco and still make a killing. In the meantime, the state can set the tax rates lower because of the bigger pie they're taking a slice of and the people who manage to get in early still get to make a killing off of the eighty year old crime tax. Everyone in CA wins and everyone outside CA, once they can ship outside their borders, will benefit from cheaper shit than they're even capable of producing in their states, especially in the far north and far south. Get in or stop bitchin, fellas. I did.

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
The People of California will have to write a Proposition and have it passed just they did with Prop.215. This thing that has been cobbled together in the dead of night completely screws the Medical Cannabis user, they are so greedy they stick it right up the ass of the sick. Taxes of over 25% and Krunch says its over 40% and who is this layer of middle men who take a huge slice without doing anything except put this POS together for their benefit, the Guards Unions and the huge pension benefits that have pauperized the State.

I guarantee that Sacramento will find a way to tax the crap out of weed, even if we pass the Jack Herer, the Snoop Dog, or whoever else wants to write an innitiative that thinks the state wont find a way to get cashed out. Regardless, legalization will boost California's economy for all residents big time because of ganja tourism. Who's gonna go get altitude sickness in Colorado, or deal with a rained-out vacation in Washington, when California has great weather year round? It doesn't matter if the wording on this thing is perfect, Sacramento WILL change the law on "the perfect initiative thats not here yet" to get its tax money. Plus, medical is already screwed with the new laws they just passed.

Latest posts

Latest posts