What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

For those of you looking for a place to grow in Anchorage

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I've been poking around seeing whos renting what.. this sums it up nicely. I thought I might share.

Western Properties.

"Western is a management company on behalf of the individual property owners of each of the 25 building we manage and lease. Some of those properties have upwards of 10 individual owners. In some cases Western is one of those Owner’s, but generally not the “Managing Owner”. The Managing Owner of each property makes decisions on behalf of the other partnerships, is responsible to those partners for “damages” as result of his/her decisions, and instructs Western on how to manage the property to suit their collective desires. At this time, the various Managing Owners of “all” Western managed properties believe that there is an unacceptable risk to his/her minority partners should they allow an occupancy such as this, and thus risk to themselves. The risks are multiple, but the main ones come from the Lenders who hold notes on the properties, and the insurance companies that insure them, as is require by the Lender on the loan documents. Because it is still a federal offense, the insurance companies could waive or cancel the policies, and the banks could call the loans, because the building’s occupants are operating in violation of Federal Law. If a bank were to “call” a $1,000,000.00- $12,000,000.00 loan on a property because of a managing members decision to allow an occupancy they knew was illegal under federal law, they would be in large scale trouble with their partners…thus the policy.

That was the Long version. The short version is “yes” until it is legal on a Federal level, or we have guarantees from the banks and insurance companies, our Owners will not allow us to rent to that industry type.

I have begun some conversation’s with some investor groups based around the idea of purchasing some I-1 zoned property for cash, adding substantial fencing and security systems, then installing the Insulated Canopy type structures with base utilities (water, Sewer, and Electric) and overhead doors. If something was owned free and clear, and set up correctly, you’d have no bank loan issue, so then it comes down to if you can get insurance to cover risk of theft injury or damage…

I know the industry is in a tough spot right now, but there is lots up upside potential if the government get out of the way.

Hopefully this helps in your understanding of “our” situation. As for now, I would think you would need to find stand alone buildings that are owned free and clear by a single owner. "

-End quote.

Just some heads up for the growers out there..

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
More rejection :(

"Jack White Real Estate.
The Realtors at Jack White Real Estate can't do it because our broker would not want us to break federal law.

You would probably have to try a much smaller company."

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Ha, hang in there.:biggrin: All kinds of roadblocks to finding a place looks like. Not many Alaska posters on here either.:biggrin:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Ha, hang in there.:biggrin: All kinds of roadblocks to finding a place looks like. Not many Alaska posters on here either.:biggrin:

Hey buddy!.

Yeah, its just killing me.. I swear they are all reading from the same script..

The Cole memo says that if a business is compliant with local laws then there will be no problem.

We can observe everywhere where feds are NOT kicking in state legal grows.

I almost think that its discrimination...

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Ya it might get worse depending on which yahoo gets elected prez. I chopped a gsc. Good smoke and poor yield. When are you going to do a reverse on something?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Ya it might get worse depending on which yahoo gets elected prez. I chopped a gsc. Good smoke and poor yield. When are you going to do a reverse on something?

I moved a few of the GSC to veg, they are recovering, I'll reverse them in a day or so.

Yeah whatever idiot they get for president I hope they leave Alaska alone.. we already voted on it.

G

Lol, I don't think Hillary is going to fuck with cannabis. (I'm not pro Hillary nor do I want to hijack this thread : )
I am interested in how this is going to play out. There isn't much property that fits all the requirements. Those that own are going to fare better than the cannna business they rent to.

Lyfespan

rent the space under a legit company get insurance for the company, pass all inspection then sub lease some of the space to the collective

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
rent the space under a legit company get insurance for the company, pass all inspection then sub lease some of the space to the collective

No, I dont think that legit. You're still a cannabusiness. Once the owner or management company finds out your growing or handling cannabis you're going to get kicked out. Especially if they tell you no to begin with.

There are green friendly insurance companies that are willing to insure grows, ive been refered to them.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Lol, I don't think Hillary is going to fuck with cannabis. (I'm not pro Hillary nor do I want to hijack this thread : )
I am interested in how this is going to play out. There isn't much property that fits all the requirements. Those that own are going to fare better than the cannna business they rent to.

Well if you are looking in Anchorage its I1 or I2 from what the MOA rules say are ok to grow in.

Kinda stupid really, because B3 and other mixed use commercial could be ok for a grow.

If you look at a zoning map for Anchorage, there literally are going to be high concentrations of grows within those areas.

My only thought is to look at outlying areas of MOA, Chugiak, or ER.. or going south, perhaps bird creek..

G

Where is electricity cheapest? I believe even Eagle River has higher rates.
I have an issue with religious institutions being a barrier. IDK about liquor stores or bars, but I cannot see past a moral argument for preventing the proximity. This particular detail should be whittled away in the back and forth over the next few years.
Best of luck with your plans.
And remember, WA & CO changed their game plans since they went legal.
Money (as we already know) will sway the Assembley.
I'm looking at you Trani...

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Where is electricity cheapest? I believe even Eagle River has higher rates.
I have an issue with religious institutions being a barrier. IDK about liquor stores or bars, but I cannot see past a moral argument for preventing the proximity. This particular detail should be whittled away in the back and forth over the next few years.
Best of luck with your plans.
And remember, WA & CO changed their game plans since they went legal.
Money (as we already know) will sway the Assembley.
I'm looking at you Trani...

Yeah I dont know about the current rates for power generation, you would think that ER being between eklutna hydro and MLP powerstation, that it would be cheaper.

If anything the MCB, did reduce the 1000 ft rule to 500, and that is measured from common entrances. Mainly for villages that arent very big to begin with.

ApolloAK

I bailed when I saw how shitty the rules were going to be. California didn't even get nailed as hard with the new regs.

Flubber

best to go offline

best to go offline

Hey buddy!.

Yeah, its just killing me.. I swear they are all reading from the same script..

The Cole memo says that if a business is compliant with local laws then there will be no problem.

We can observe everywhere where feds are NOT kicking in state legal grows.

I almost think that its discrimination...

prior sub quote
... If something was owned free and clear, and set up correctly, you’d have no bank loan issue, so then it comes down to if you can get insurance to cover risk of theft injury or damage…
I know the industry is in a tough spot right now, but there is lots up upside potential if the government get out of the way....
end of sub-quote

SOOOO'''
The cost to buy via 'land contract' or 'owner financed' is less than the rental rates. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity... Alaska, or elsewhere

Flubber :canabis:

Latest posts

Latest posts