What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you ever had a strong mint flavored strain?

J

jimbroker

I have been interested in finding a strain with a minty flavor. Not just hints of mint either... I want something that has a menthol coolness to it when you smoke it. Something that is as minty as Sour Diesel is sour..

My reasoning is that I would like a smoke that is super smooth.. like a menthol cigarette.. when it goes down. There are some supposedly strong mint flavored strains like Sagarmatha's Manatuska Mint and Delta-9's StarGazer so I know the potential for cannabis to produce minty terpenoids like menthol and carvone is there.

Here are my questions for the IC members:

What strains or cuts do you have experience with that were mint flavored?

Was the mint flavor strong and did it make the smoke smooth?

ngakpa

Veteran
I brought a pack of Seedsman Colombian Red x Neville's Haze partly because it said it tasted of mint, as it is not a flavour I have encountered before... sorry to say I haven't got round to popping them yet... the red Sheberghan I have reminds me of juniper, (with cocoa, and orange) essence... if I had a minty Colombian Red pheno, I would love to cross that with a red Sheberghan when I have a chance to pop some

J

jimbroker

Gumbala:

Did you grow the plants yourself? If so... what was your source for a cut/seed ?

ngakpa:

According to Paradise Seeds their Rox strain is "strawberry-mint" flavored. I thought it would be nice to get a base super-menthol strain to cross with more fruiter strains to produce mentholated orange, strawberry, grape, sour, etc. Kind of like Orbitz gum but for weed flavors.

Gumbala

Yeah ive grown Ogre - clone only , TW - clone only, Catpiss - Clone only! haha. sorry that wont help ya!

Mazaar has that type of taste as well, maybe someone is making seeds of that?

G

Elevator Man grew a Flo outdoors this year that was very minty.

I have a Mexican that is pretty Menthol.

Apart from that, I remember a Skunk x Afghan from a few years ago being minty, grown outdoors in the UK from Swiss seedstock.

THC•20

jimbroker said:
I thought it would be nice to get a base super-menthol strain to cross with more fruiter strains to produce mentholated orange, strawberry, grape, sour, etc. Kind of like Orbitz gum but for weed flavors.

Yeah that would be great haha.

J

jimbroker

Thanks for all who have posted suggestions. Unfortunately when I go to research the descriptions of the strains/cuts no one seems to be on the same page with the suggestions. I believe that the suggestions might be a phenotype of the mentioned strain that isn't particularly common.

Considering that these are phenotypes... I might be better off with a cut that somebody has been cultivating.

Anyone have a SUPER minty/menthol flavored strain?

I am curious as to what terpenoids in the mint family cannabis is able to produce. I'm sure if a menthol/carvone (the major mint flavored terpenoids) producing strain is found than the terpenoids could be enhanced through breeding. Therefore a strain is preferred over a cut.

Perhaps crossing a menthol flavored cut with a NYCD would bring out the flavor. From some of the breeding I have read about.. when NYCD and ECSD are crossed with a particular flavor (orange, strawberry) the smell is increased over even the original strain/cut that gave the flavor. As an example, Rez mentions his strawberry diesel F1's have a stronger strawberry smell than the original Kyle Kushman Strawberry Cough cut. Perhaps there is a gene in the diesel family which amplifies terpenoid production and perhaps that is what gives them there strong smell.

I've never had NYCD but I have had ECSD and Sage 'n' Sour. They are by the far the strongest smelling/tasting strains I have ever had.

from the dj short's article explaining the origins of blueberry in his experience the male gave the intensity while the female gave the taste...

J

jimbroker

"It has been my observation that in a successful cross, the (usually female) sativa contributes the type of aroma and flavour, while the (usually male) indica contributes the amount of aroma and flavour to the prodigy. So far this observation has proven fruitful."

-DJ Short

Endless Summer - I think DJ Short was talking about the contribution of flavor and intensity when you mix sativa and indicas. In his case, crossing his Female Indica x Male Sativa gave him less desirable offspring than doing the Male Indica x Female Sativa. Thats why he says "usually female" and "usually male".

I am curious if what DJ short found for his landrace crosses is good for other cannabis plants. Considering he used plants that were but a generation removed from the original landraces themselves make me think his observations are more applicable to landraces. When you start talking about hybrids being crossed with other hybrids... this rule of thumb goes out the window. He even mentions the hit-or-miss nature of finding good F2s and beyond.

The most applicable advice from him is probably this quote:

"Mendelian procedures are fine for sweet peas, but when it comes to herb I much prefer Luther Burbank's philosophy: "Select the best and reject all others!" This simple phrase is worth much consideration."

Here is the original article for others who might be interested:

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/1511.html

It is a good read.

Ganico

Veteran
Might not be quite what you're looking for, but "Celestial Temple Sativa" tasted like lemon and menthol, pretty smooth too

CTS also does excellent outdoors in the south

burmese

pondo mystic, thimphu, manipuri, mandala 1 and cross em with something sweeter,earthier

Last edited:

clearheaded

Girl scout cookies? thin mint cut? several mashups... doublemint sinmint etc may be a direction to look at that is now readily available. Also MANDALA I think has a several strains are/described as spearminty or minty and I think he probably likes that taste so has selected for it??? maybe?? you should email and ask mandala. point of no return, mandala 1, rishi kush, 8 miles high are some known to be minty.

Cubbie Boy

Thin Mint GSC

Thin Mint GSC

Wow, this thread is 13 years old, and it was starting something back then, that I've just become interested in now, and yet little to nothing has become of it.

I just bought some feminized Thin Mint GSC seeds, and we shall see in 2021, what becomes of them.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Girl scout cookies? thin mint cut? several mashups... doublemint sinmint etc may be a direction to look at that is now readily available. Also MANDALA I think has a several strains are/described as spearminty or minty and I think he probably likes that taste so has selected for it??? maybe?? you should email and ask mandala. point of no return, mandala 1, rishi kush, 8 miles high are some known to be minty.

you are right bro. good point. I didn't realize it till now. all those plus chill-om and new one: flashberry: aroma: Sweet, fruity, blueberry, minty. quite a lot of crosses with minty flavor from Mandala.