What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Tuna same as regular Tuna?

Tynehead Tom

Some folks I know recently switched up their mono crop strains and he brought me a sample jar. I'm a seasoned 20+ year toker and this stuff is real damn good. I don't finish a 1/2 gram joint, more like 3 sessions over many hours. Holds it's flavour, very nice smoke.

So when I came here last week to look for discussions on Black Tuna, all I could find were references to reeferman's tuna that he sells seeds of.

I used to work for a few years as a longshoreman down in surrey and we used to get tuna can kush in a tuna can for 100 a 1/2 and it was truly worth every penny.

my internet search for black tuna (leafly) comes up with , BC strain by 5 Star Organics (?) , herijuanaxlambsbread , named after the Black Tuna Gang. A group of smugglers who ran Columbian weed thru the US in the 70's. Sold in BC in metal tuna cans.

interesting story. I'm born and bred in BC lowermainland and never heard it called "black tuna", just tuna can kush.

The cuts have very thin leaves, kinda like the thinner leafed versions of the berry or Nl strains.

I'll add some pics as I grow these out. I managed to twist his arm into letting me take a few home :biggrin:

anyone else running "black tuna" ? and is it the same strain as reeferman's tuna? I'd love to see some Tuna pics to compare

****Edit : I decided to update the title after a little more digging (google) gave me info from Old School Breeders Association, comfirming Black tuna as a 5star organics BC Canada, herijuanaxlambs bread and it lists Tuna Kush as a Hindu Kush. Looks like we have 2 different animals. Nothing shows up in the ICmag strain guide for either one.

discuss........

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

nobody LOL
cmon icmag crew

you are forcing me to go buy that reeferman tuna and grow it out for comparison hahaha

rykus

I'm not a 100% as I just joined here a but before you, but from what I gather here, and my one friend who I trust that knows everyone, lol I'm pretty sure Reef either breeds on the side for some pretty organized folk, or passes his choice cuts to the local factories that decide what and who gets it and what it's used for...

Seems they held the Tuna pretty tight for a few years, kept the market tight and high... But I think the pink took over... Really the tuna in my mind is a cross of the Bubba/Pink lines X's with the darker dryer crystal purple MKultra cut that goes around.... Nice greasey plant that stretches out nice and gets big flowers, gets really purple and black as it matures.

Pink we have is still better to grow, yields better and pulls a better tag. Just sayin.

CoCoSativas

Black tuna is the same as tuna can kush or reefs tuna.

Tuna is all over bc its a ibl reef recieved them from someone and made more he didnt breed tuna.

TT i just got reefs tuna. Tuna can kush is the bomb i like it better than pink pink has a sweetness i dont love. Its good weed but i preffer tuna if i have to pick.

Pink yields better than tuna but takes longer. I preffer the smell and taste of tuna but many preffer pink. I find tuna has a much more refined high. Pink bores me.

Anyway that black tuna cut is the same stuff. That cut that floats aroun d might be a nice cut but its a ibl you will likely find tons more just like it.

Ill say this about tuna its dank theres a reason they canned it. I missed this shit i cant wait now i have it back.

If you snag reefs you can make more... ill bet tuna makes stanky crosses. Lol theres a good reason they canned it

Tynehead Tom

ya, I've had the tuna can weed many times. It was always "special" breaking the seal and getting that first nose full of aroma wafting from the can LOL
it's a hard smell and taste to describe , but it is certainly my kind of weed. Cuts right thru my tolerance level and hits hard but at the same time, it's energizing and i find myself up and doing stuff around the house. For those who suffer deep joint pain and muscle burn, this stuff works for that. Don't puff it too close to bed time tho, it's hangover weed and leads to a mild headache in the morning LOL

CoCoSativas

ya, I've had the tuna can weed many times. It was always "special" breaking the seal and getting that first nose full of aroma wafting from the can LOL
it's a hard smell and taste to describe , but it is certainly my kind of weed. Cuts right thru my tolerance level and hits hard but at the same time, it's energizing and i find myself up and doing stuff around the house. For those who suffer deep joint pain and muscle burn, this stuff works for that. Don't puff it too close to bed time tho, it's hangover weed and leads to a mild headache in the morning LOL

I dont personally reacte to the tuna cans kush like that (hangover) but i found it a good all around smoke, including pain so its on my menu now...

I agree opening a can is intenseand reeks out the whole house!

I love tuna i was so happy when reef started to offer...

yocs

Never had the tuna can stuff but that's wuts up. I'm gonna start packaging my shit in Tin cans and callin it that chicken noodle soup shit.lol

Tynehead Tom

the first time I got a fish tin with weed in it I thought it was hilarious. I can't say what I have is the exact same stuff till I taste test the fruits of these clones. The jar I have that is supposed to be same as the clones is top shelf so here's hoping ;)
Also , I haven't seen tuna weed in a can for a few years now and I'm still very much in the same circles as when it was around.

I'll snap some pics today

rykus

Alberta's fuct and the yank dollar is killing, lol makes a lot of sense why they aren't chasing the high end once market

Tynehead Tom

Here's a pic of the cuttings. I actually got 5 but one got the top snapped off on the trip home down the 4x4 only road out of the ranch (the back way LOL)
Lotsa mud around right now with the winter thaw on so I couldn't resist the fun haha
anyhow, I hardened these off after a transplant to 4" pots filled with sunshine 4 pretreated with full strength GH flora 6ml micro/9ml bloom and they are loving it with new growth happening hourly. Even the topped one is alive and well and showing new growth at the remaining nodes.

veg day 1, march 28, 24 hour light , 4 x 35watt T8 4100K floros.
will give them a couple days then it's into the 400 room to veg at 18/6 under the halide.
gonna keep one as a mother plant on 18/6 and veg the remaining 4 for maybe a week to 10 days and flip them with my nuken and sweet tooth seed plants. I need some weed to smoke LOL

Tynehead Tom

maybe this pic will work better LOL , still learning how to post better pics here
picture.php

lawlrus

Can't say I've heard of the Black Tuna but that certainly sounds interesting. I'm mostly interested in hearing more about what you consider Lambs Bread -- describe the taste and smell if you would, please. I grew up with and still occasionally come across a cut of "Lambs Bread" that originated in Raleigh and/or Chapel Hill, NC which is presumably a reference to the Jamaican line that everybody's heard of but can't seem to talk about very definitively. All I can say with certainty is that is the most insanely spicy, funky, and for me mostly indescribable herb I've ever come across in my life, but I've never been able to secure a clone from anyone I would trust to get it from. I've been on the hunt for something that might give me at least a reasonable copy for a long time but haven't found it yet. Enjoy that.

Tynehead Tom

I'll puff one later with a clean pallet and try to describe. I personally make zero claims to know the authenticity nor lineage of this strain. That said, it does come from some old school 30+ year growers who seem to be very well connected in the mmpr circles and otherwise. It was given to me as Black Tuna and I was told it has been around a lonnnnngggg time and might in fact be a totally different strain from what folks know as tuna can kush. I mentioned the discussions here, as my friend does not do the internet thing as he puts it LOL and he told me he has grown this particular strain off and on for the past 15 years or more. So I really don't know.

we'll see as I grow it out.

Tynehead Tom

okay, this bud is very hard to describe the smell. the bud before cutting has no real sweetness to the smell but has a slightly floral coffee like smell with a slightly skunky/dank undertone. As I cut it up with scissors and hold a pinch to my nose, the coffee smell is more pronounced but is accompanied by a sweet floral odor that I can't place. It's isn't berry or fruity, it's just a sweet floral , sharp at first and fades.
resins in the budz have not dried out despite being harvested about 8 weeks ago.
oddly, drawing on the unlit joint, leaves nothing but a taste of sweetgrass in my mouth
taking a deep toke when lighting activates the saliva glands, flavour is subtle and I would say stays within the floral coffee kind of taste, with no real sweetness, but no sour, chem, diesel, none of those flavours. it's just a smooth subtle flavour that is rather nice.
walking into a room that a joint has just been smoked in smells earthy, coffee, sweet with a hint of skunkiness.
I find I am wide awake but ripped, I feel it in my nose/sinus and forhead. I can think clear and have no problem feeling motivated to get stuff done. Moderate pain relief from my pelvic and back burning sensations, more like it takes my mind off the 24/7 discomfort. good meds but smoking all day gives me a subtle frontal lobe headache in the morning LOL

best I can do LOL
picture.php

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

what a difference a week makes LOL
transplanted on April 4 to 3/4 gallon. feeding 1/2 strength (for sunshine mix/promix) Lucas formula GH flora --> mixing 3.5liters RO , .5 liter well water and 4ml micro/8ml bloom (to 4 liters) PH coming in at 6.2
living under 4x 4foot , 4100K T8 floros.
I left the flash on for a couple of these shots and they make them look super lime green lol but they aren't
picture.php

picture.php

and if you look back at the pics from march 28 and see the little clone with only one fan leaf..... check it out today !! this sucker wants to live. I'm gonna train it into a mother with a scrog net I think. The other 4 will be going to flower in a few days and 1 will be isolated to a pollination chamber with ustad seeds Shiskaberry 3 f2
picture.php

Happy growing! I'll update again next week for those who are paying attention. CocoSativas is growing Tuna from seed right now in his 100 seed pop thread , will be cool to compare this clone only to Reef's Tuna from seed.

CoCoSativas

what a difference a week makes LOL
transplanted on April 4 to 3/4 gallon. feeding 1/2 strength (for sunshine mix/promix) Lucas formula GH flora --> mixing 3.5liters RO , .5 liter well water and 4ml micro/8ml bloom (to 4 liters) PH coming in at 6.2
living under 4x 4foot , 4100K T8 floros.
I left the flash on for a couple of these shots and they make them look super lime green lol but they aren't
View Image

View Image

and if you look back at the pics from march 28 and see the little clone with only one fan leaf..... check it out today !! this sucker wants to live. I'm gonna train it into a mother with a scrog net I think. The other 4 will be going to flower in a few days and 1 will be isolated to a pollination chamber with ustad seeds Shiskaberry 3 f2
View Image

Happy growing! I'll update again next week for those who are paying attention. CocoSativas is growing Tuna from seed right now in his 100 seed pop thread , will be cool to compare this clone only to Reef's Tuna from seed.

Yeah we can keep each others threads updated

rykus

That's definitely the clone I had too, leaf shape and the colour are spot on....

I found depending on the room it likes to go 63-70, but what ya want is the hairs to suck in, will take away the red hair look of the nugz you posted and instead be black purple n crystal.

Nice!

johnkneefive

Looking good tynhead ..subbed.. I have the tuna going also .. Im going to be starting some grapefruit x blueberry next myself .. I have a pack of chimeras .. Aka sweet tooth ..
I used to grow shishka back in the 90s from sol via emery direct ..it was my favourite plant to grow .. Finished in just over 6 weeks the sweetest smoke I ever had..pure strawberries ..
Here's my tuna garden ..been veggin for easy 8 weeks.. But it so strong hitting I can't let it go even tho it's slow as molasses ..
My clones look exactly like yours ..

Peace

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 33

Tynehead Tom

I'm actually shocked that Shiskaberry isn't still a mainstream strain. I don't think steve made enough of those beans in the beginning. I got mine straight from steve's hand at marc emory's store in Vancouver. The seeds I got were the very first drop. I had 10 of those seeds stashed away all these years and got 2 to sprout ;) One way or another, I'm breeding the shiskaberry back to life ;)

and I think I'm gonna S1 one of these tunas with colloidial silver

johnkneefive

I'm actually shocked that Shiskaberry isn't still a mainstream strain. I don't think steve made enough of those beans in the beginning. I got mine straight from steve's hand at marc emory's store in Vancouver. The seeds I got were the very first drop. I had 10 of those seeds stashed away all these years and got 2 to sprout ;) One way or another, I'm breeding the shiskaberry back to life ;)

I see in your sig you have the Nuken.. Have you tried ccks kish? That was my last experience with shishka .. I bumped into cck at the medicinal cup few yrs back Nuken won first place that year .. The kish I had hermied on me but was still a keeper.. Apparently that's a trait .. Have you noticed any hermies with Nuken in later flower .. Eg. Over 7weeks..

Sorry if I'm drifting off topic . I suk at posting