What's new

Looking For A Simple Soil Recipe, Dont Want To Buy 42 Things....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
want to flower a couple moms in some soil....

don't want to buy shit tons of products to grow these though and dont want to cook the soil....

looked through the first 12 pages in the soil forum and dint find what i wanted...

recommendations?

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Yo Joe Fresh- I appreciate you getting all that info in one place. I have a few questions based on my experiences.

I've been through your thread, mainly because I always am trying to figure out how much lime to add to my soil, or lime and gypsum to be exact. One of the mixes calls for 1 cup of lime per cubic foot!?! Can you comment on that? I think that I have found some sort of leaf burn from that amount of lime. I know it has a lot to do with the other ingredients in the soil, but still, the guy at the hydro store mumbled something that sounded like "lime burn"... that being said I know that no lime can cause Cal/Mag def. Im just curious...

My mix has been something like this:

75% Pro Mix
10% Perlite
small %-High N guano
small %-High P Guano
10 %EWC
small %-Alaska Humic compost
small %-lime
small %-gypsum

Im thinking about switching to

Pro Mix
Coco
Guano(s)
EWC
very small amount lime and gypsum

W

wilbur

Respect, Joe ... can I add to the lime question above?

I always thought the amount of lime or pref dolomite because it has magnesium ... is dependent on the pH of ALL the other ingredients combined.

that is: when the combination of all ingredients is measured, pH wise, then 1 to 1.5 grams of dolomite per litre of mix is required to UP pH by one point ... if upping is necessary at all!

so the lime/dolomite question depends on what the pH of yr soil is.

cheers!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
promix 3 parts
perilite 1 part
ewc 1 part

blood meal 2.5 tbs per 5 gallons
bone meal 5 tbs per 5 gallons
kelp meal 2.5 tbs per 5 gallons
dolamite 2 tbs per 5 gallons

you can top dress after you transplant to your inal flowering container with a lil high p guano

dont be afraid to underfed a bit because you can pick up wiht top dress, tea or foliar

if you dont overfeed your soil you can recycle it all

I

Iron_Lion

Why not just buy a good bagged soil.

Soil doesn't necessarily have to contain all of the nutrients for the entirety of the grow. A 30 day supply is good enough for me.

When most people bring up the subject of soil it is usually highly over complicated and just as good results can be had with much less work.

Anythime I have run a soil mix containing a extremely heavy payload of nutes I have run into issues. I like to have more control over a week to week basis and feed as needed rather than put a bunch of shit in a mix and have major burning take place when nutrients break down enough to become available to the plant all at once.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
promix 3 parts
perilite 1 part
ewc 1 part

blood meal 2.5 tbs per 5 gallons
bone meal 5 tbs per 5 gallons
kelp meal 2.5 tbs per 5 gallons
dolamite 2 tbs per 5 gallons

you can top dress after you transplant to your inal flowering container with a lil high p guano

i like something like that....

but buying all those "meals" is something i really dont want to...

im only going to be mixing 15 gallons of soil, so buying bags of these "meals" for only 100th of whats in the bag, is what im trying to avoid. not doing soil again, so these bags of "meals" will go to waste...

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
gotta agree with wilbur

i use lime to adjust my ph mainly, the cal/mg thats in it is added benefit.....

for me in my mix...(1 bale of promix, 1 bag(30L) shrimp compost, 1 bag(30L) sheep manure compost, 1/2 bag(15L) of ewc, one big bag of perlite...to this i add 2-3 handfuls of dolo lime and i water with a low ppm if needed(usually do)

Midnight

Veteran
want to flower a couple moms in some soil....

don't want to buy shit tons of products to grow these though and dont want to cook the soil....

looked through the first 12 pages in the soil forum and dint find what i wanted...

recommendations?

This will work very well for flowering out moms. If you put the moms in this and go right to 12/12 you won't have to add anything. I get it at Capital Nursery in Sacramento, it's about 30 dollars for 3 bags.

picture.php

These were grown under a T5 from seed in the stuff, only added a little bat quano at the start of 12/12. These are 4 weeks 12/12.

picture.php

Midnight

Veteran
This is also another very good "add nothing to it" soil. It's available a lot of places in northern Cal.

[YOUTUBEIF]JW1mdabsAQg[/YOUTUBEIF]

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the meals should cost you no more 30$ for more than you will use

im still using amendments i found in a relatives garage i9n 2004 and im sure they were a decade old at that point anyway

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
If you don't want to buy a bunch of different bags of meals, espoma makes many different pre-mix bags of all kinds of meals with beneficial bact and myc.

I use espoma bio-tone starter plus in my mix.

Here is what is in the "tomato" mix

Derived from: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized
Poultry Manure, Cocoa Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal,
Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of
Potash Magnesia.

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
like sam says; buy an all in one organic mix

maybe try FFOF 1:1 w/ LW idk but thats supposed to be water only

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
imho if you want to see if organics has a potential in your grow life most packaged amended soils run a lil to coarse for my liking

some dr earth pre mix soils have a great composition but as I said I find ti too course for my liking

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
imho if you want to see if organics has a potential in your grow life most packaged amended soils run a lil to coarse for my liking

some dr earth pre mix soils have a great amendments but as I said I find it too coarse for my liking

I like my soil to have the same composition as straight peat with a rich base of perilite

I like my soil to run fast and hold a good ratio of air and I can keep to that composition if i amend my own soils

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
If your going to grow organic, and really give it a chance to show you what high quality soil can do your going to need to buy a few ingredients, otherwise it won't be organic soil... it will be coco or peat with liquid nutrients. The results will be different. The good thing about those organic nutrient meals is that they don't go bad. That combined with the fact that organic soil can and should be reused, you'll soon realize that you are going to need those extra meals for top dressing and soil recycling.

Montana

"don't want to buy shit tons of products to grow these though and don't want to cook the soil...."

Find some mature composted manure and or compost, mix in some rock dusts (Azomite/Rock Phos/Greensand/lime/glacial rock/that sort of thing)

Plant......no cooking required.....