You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > ~Pimp your Organic Fertilizer~

Thread Title Search
~Pimp your Organic Fertilizer~ Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM #1
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really nice
~Pimp your Organic Fertilizer~

I've been meaning to get a thread going where members can post their opinions and information with regards to Organic Fertilizers!.

I would like the info for the product listed first

Product name:
Manufacturer:
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other:
Application rates as listed:
Online Source: if applicable

If you want you can add any other info from the company or website as well as a picture.

Followed by your review of how your using it and at what rates and the pros and cons you've seen thus far.

The point of the thread of course is to gather information regarding both bottled fertilizers that are organic and also solid soil ammendments or mixes, anything goes as far as which ones, I'm not even fussy as to how organic they are such as FF or PBPro.
Other posters can feel free to post their own comments as well as their own reviews for product previously listed, also things like guanos, kelp meal, cotton seed meal, etc. will need a review with a follow up on how they work.

This should be a pretty laid back thread, we lose alot of good information because there are mutiple threads for each ? about each product, having them under one roof will make certain less advertised or marketed brands visible to the growers on IC.

Peace

Suby

Last edited by Suby; 05-06-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Suby is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 AM #2
ixnay007
"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"

ixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really niceixnay007 is just really nice
Product name: Bio Sevia
Manufacturer: General Hydroponics Europe
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: Grow 3-1-7 Bloom 2-3-4
Appication rates as listed: 2ml per liter...
Online Source: who doesn't sell GH products?

Decent stuff, I haven't had a chance to do a run without PH issues (still looking for dolomite lime.. grrr), they recommend using it with BM (Trichoderma harzianum) and mineral magic (which should be organic.. it's just trace minerals like silica) which I didn't do, but may try next time.

Pros: Great growth, mixes well with EWC teas (gets good and foamy), it's decently priced.

Cons: The only issue I can see with them is there's no way to tell if the bottles have been stored in extreme conditions, very high or low temps can make this stuff into the equivalent of seawater for your girls (this is an issue with all bottled organic ferts).

https://www.eurohydro.com/bioponics_about.php

- Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by ixnay007; 05-09-2008 at 01:35 AM..
ixnay007 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM #3
quadracer
Master Composter

quadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura about
https://agr.wa.gov/PESTFERT/Fertilize...B/Product1.asp

Washington Department of Ag has all the metals found in both organic and non-organic ferts listed on their website.
quadracer is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM #4
jaykush
dirty black hands

jaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of light
Product name: urtica dioica (stinging nettle)
Manufacturer: mother nature
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other:vitamins A and C, and rich in nutrients, including calcium, choline, magnesium, boron, iron, iodine, silica, sulfur, potassium, chlorophyll, histamine, serotonin, glucoquinones, bioflavonoids, tannins and amino acids
Appication rates as listed: soil drench, in compost tea, foliar spray, in compost, soil amendment, compost activator,
Online Source: you can buy seeds at some herb seed stores.
Other: grows easily without care other than chopping it and using it, grows excellent in shade with moist soil. chop males before they pollinate to avoid spreading.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM #5
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really nice
Word you guys rock!

In thought it would take a few days before peeps posted

You guys nailed what I`m looking for right out of the gate.
Seing as you are all cut and pasting I think I`ll add that L to application lmfao.

If you guys want check out the excellent site Quadman posted you can cut and paste the detailed content information from there and tack it on.
Props for that Q.

Thanks for getting this rolling on a good note

S
Suby is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 PM #6
Clackamas Coot

Clackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of lightClackamas Coot is a glorious beacon of light
Earthworm Castings - homemade
Kelp Meal
Rock Dust
Molasses

About in that order...........
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
Clackamas Coot is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 PM #7
vonforne

Product Name: Alfalfa
Manufacturer: Mother Nature or Local feed store.
N-P-K (~3-2-2)
Alfalfa provides many nutritional benefits not only for plant use, but for soil organisms as well. One very important ingredient is tricontanol, a powerful plant growth regulator
It also includes sugars, starches, proteins, fiber and 16 amino acids.
Mg. Ca. and folic acid.
It can be used as a soil additive or as a foliar spray or both.

The tricontanol I found to be most effective as a foliar.

It can be purchased as a meal or at the feed store for 11.00 per 50 lb. bag.
Make sure it does not contain any salt.

You could also grow your own or purchase hay at the local feed store or auction.
It can be added to your compost pile and is considered a green because of the high C\N ratio.

Or my personal favorite......just brew a nice green tea with it. Don´t forget to add sugar.

Nice thread Suby. As always-You da man. :-)

V

Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM #8

Hey Suby:
Pedro48 here as jj48 now.

Here are some of the products I have been using over the past year or so.
I bought all these locally at two different nurseries that carry the full line of Whitney farms Organic stuff, or nearly the full line. There are probably 6-8 more WFarm products they have but I don't need or want. These same nurseries also carry Alaska Fish products, a lot of Fox Farm stuff. Pretty much everything you need organic wise. It's funny that one place carries grow lights and lots of hydroponic gear. I think it is also cool that the average age of people I see at this one place is probably 50+. I rarely see any young people at either one. Makes you wonder who's growing what hehehehheehehehe. Us old farts know our shit

Now I want to say up front to all the "purists" ,critics, etc. Yes, there probably are better organic products out there. I think Whitney Farms is a subsidiary of everyone's arch enemy "Miracle Grow". Not sure though. someone will undoubtably tell me. However, I have used all these and some not shown with success. These products WILL WORK for you. So folks if you want to save money on shipping, check your local nurseries. This time of year is THE time of year when they will have this stuff...if they are gonna have it.

I use these pretty much like Lavendar Cowboy recommends on the Sticky "Organics for Beginners". I tend to go a little lighter on the Nitrogen amendments because the last 3 grows I have done were mostly sativa hybrids, or haze hybrids. These strains don't need much Nitrogen IMO. And I go a bit heavier at times with the Phosphorus ferts, but not much. To much P can cause problems. I use Liquid Karma all during my grow. Alone in water Liquid Karma acts to bring pH down...no need for pH down adjusters. Molassess maybe once a week at 1Tbls/gallon. The grow I'm currently finishing I have been using PBPro Flower(at strengths up to 3Tbls(45ml) per gallon) until late in flowering, about week 8-9. From week 9 on, I use Earth Juice Bloom because it has no Nitrogen. My 3 plants this grow are doing very well. Trichomes are really coming on. Even the 2 plants that got heavily seeded are very frosty.

It seems most are formulated to be used "about" 1 cup/cubic foot(2Tbls/gallon). One needs, or should IMO, experiment a bit to see how these or ANY amendment works for you. I have found all these easy to use. The key is to use as directed/recommended and THOROUGHLY mix them into your soil mix. I do that dry, and then again when I wet my mix with LK and Maxicrop.

EDIT
I did buy Maxicrop, Earth Juice and the Botanicare stuff from sources I found on line. I actually ordered over the phone though. Everything else I bought locally. I live in a small community, in a small state(pop. wise) There are at least two nurseries I know of that have well stocked organic supplies. So there is a lot of organic farmers and/or weed growers around here Maybe I'm lucky. That said, I think if folks look around their areas(50 mile radius) they can find a lot more organic supplies that they might think. Organics and organic farming is growing rapidly in many places. Don't be shy, check around. Nobody will look at you funny...unless you actually look funny

And remember to add your dolomite lime at 2Tbls/gallon. I disagree a bit with some folks about pH. Those who say organic growers "don't worry about pH" are wrong in that they leave out something critical IMO. We "don't worry" BECAUSE we properly lime our soils and ensure there is plenty of humus in it BEFORE we plant. If you make a GOOD soil and lime it properly, THEN you can "not worry" about pH....and I don't. The other day I poured some freshly made Earth Juice Flower @ 2Tbls/gallon + LK @ 1tsp/gallon right straight onto my big SSH sativa pheno, the unseeded one that is in week 10 of flowering. The pH was about 3.0-3.5. That plant is thriving and is gonna be a "monster" for my grow space anyway...when done...but a fine plant by any standard. I know some will cringe when they hear I did that, BUT I knew my soil would be fine with it.

And last but not least, I highly recommend people read the beginning of that Sticky Thread for beginners where soil mixes and amendments are discussed. It is obvious to me from questions on other threads here on ICMAG that many of you new folks are not reading those Sticky Notes. You should read them. There is a wealth of information in them.

In no particular order. You'll see the NPK values on the Whitney Farm stuff near the bottom of the package.

I'll add pictures as I get them done of more stuff I use, or have used in the past.

jj48

Click on image(sometimes twice) to enlarge.

Last edited by jj48; 05-06-2008 at 08:01 PM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 AM #9
varriform

varriform will become famous soon enoughvarriform will become famous soon enough
Hello all
I have a pretty wide variety of bottled ferts that are all being used on different plants and different soil mixes right now, unfortunately.

One of my mixes is basically the second L.C. mix and the first recipe(the dry fert one) except for I am lacking kelp powder in the mix. I am in the middle of flowering with this mix and I havn't run this same soil/fert setup before so any tips are appreciated. I made this soil mix a little light on the bone/blood because I used Expert Gardener Garden Safe Organic Potting Mix as my base.
I am adding liquid ferts to this, as well.

Here they go (not all used at same time)
DWF earthworm castings brewed into a tea
Blackstrap Molasses, not sure what brand
High P guano, not sure what brand

Product name: Pure Blend Original Bloom
Manufacturer: Botanicare
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 0.5-0.5-1.0
Application rates as listed: 2 tsp(min supplemental rate) all the way up to 3 tbsp(max main fert rate)
Online Source: A whole bunch

Since I don't have kelp in the mix I have been using this on a pretty regular basis
Product name: Sea Kelp 100
Manufacturer: Organics RX
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 1-0-4
Application rates as listed: mmm not sure
Online Source: unknown

I have another program going which is....

Mix:
Peat, Perlite, Earthworm Castings, Lime, Homemade Compost and mixed in I have ..........

Product name: Vegan Mix
Manufacturer: Down to Earth
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 3-2-2
Derived from: Alfalfa meal, soybean meal, kelp meal, rock phosphate, stonemeal, greensand, and sul-po-mag
Application rates as listed: Umm.. 2 tbsp I think but I used a TAD bit less
Online Source: groworganics.com

On top of that I liquid feed with EWC, Molasses, High P guano and....

Product name: Super Grow
Manufacturer: Organics RX
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 4-2-1
Derived from: Soybean meal, Corn meal and other plant based ingrediants
Application rates as listed: not sure
Online Source: unknown

I tried to go completly vegetarian but I have had to lightly feed with

Product name:Age Old Bloom
Manufacturer:Age Old Organics
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 5-10-5
Derived from: Feathermeal, Fish, Colliodal Phosphates, Seaweed, Borax, Complex sugars of glucoheptonates of copper, zinc, manganese
Application rates as listed: ?
Online Source: ?

and

Product name: Age Old Grow
Manufacturer: Age Old Organics
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 12-6-6
Derived from: Same as bloom formula
Application rates as listed: ?
Online Source: ?

The only one of these ferts that I feel I really have a hold on is the Age Old products. I really have gotten the feeling for them and they have become my main fertilizer for both MJ and my entire veggie garden. I highly suggest them as complete liquid fert
your eyes, red and heavy from hemps fumes,
turned inwards seeing all,
all that was, that is and that which will not be.
Your tears, rudra, garland of my neck.
All one hundred and eight of them i have caressed.
For you are the last before nirvana,
you, the greatest joy, giver of life,
terrible enemy of all evil.
,Shaivite Saint

Don't destroy the world unless you have something better to replace it.
,Lawrence Ferlinghetti

It may be doubted whether there are many other animals which have played so important a part in the history of the world, as have these lowly organized creatures.
,Charles Darwin on earthworms

Last edited by varriform; 05-07-2008 at 04:11 AM..
varriform is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 AM #10
BurnOne
No damn given.

BurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant future
Suby-
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

You're a genius!

This is a GREAT way of showing people how to grow a successful organic garden by showing them the success of other growers.

There are as many ways to grow organic as there are organic growers.

Suby, YOU ROCK!
It's 4:20 somewhere. Time to Burn1.

Bullshit! There's no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid

pH meter? We don't need no stinking pH meter!

Last edited by BurnOne; 05-07-2008 at 04:18 AM..
BurnOne is offline Quote