What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bobbles Strawberry DD Big Cola Contest

bobblehead

Veteran
Aptus has a bunch of PGR's... Anything without PGR's is fair game according to D. I think you can use some aptus products and not others. I'm not that familiar with the lineup to say what's what.

SRGB

high life 45:

I wanted it to be the biggest tree contest...bobbles kiddie pools ppk would have been a good sight.

Hi, high life 45.

In the spirit of continuing experimentation, we are willing to provide a 10 or 20 gallon SRBGB and kindly suggest the Drain-To-No-Waste method with perlite or pumice hand watered or top-fed once or twice per day versus whichever methods the tree gardener normally preferred.

Minimum vegetation: to 3' x 3' x 3', however long that takes.
Minimum illumination: Six hundred, preferrably one thousand per specimen.
Nutrients: Any.

Respectfully,
/SRGB/

Mister_D

Veteran
Aptis was tested in Cali. And Oregon by feds no pgr

Would like to see the data on this, do you have a link by chance? Wondering if they have natural PGR's? If not then you're clear to use aptus :biggrin:. Glad ta have you on board for the contest :good: As for additives, anything non pgr goes.

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
Alright mulled this over bit, and here's my current thoughts. Feel free to pick them apart. Winning the contest won't be based on one thing, but rather a point system. Being there are 5 of us currently competing, each category will be worth a max of 5 points (this can easily be modified if more people join). As each category is data based, points will be awarded by place (i.e. person with highest GPW gets five points, next highest gets 4 points, and so on. This is done for each category) Then points from all categories are totaled, whomever has the most points is the winner.

Ideas for categories.

GPW
Main Cola Size (over all length, or weight?)
Biggest yield

6 weeks from cut still applies, no limit on wattage, no pgr's, anything else goes.

Thoughts?

bobblehead

Veteran
This no PGR business is like no steroids in bodybuilding.... Lame. :moon:

I guess I'll have to read more about aptus... But my understanding was that its not nutrients, but bacteria, enzymes, silica, and growth regulators.

Mister_D

Veteran
This no PGR business is like no steroids in bodybuilding.... Lame. :moon:

What's the matter bobble, don't think you've got skills to win without some hormonal bullshit pumping your plants up? ........ Lame :moon:

Besides guys, it's only one plant in your room. Go ahead and add whatever you want to rest of the garden. Might be useful to see what can be accomplished with just excellent care and the most basic ingredients ;).

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
Lol I only use rooting powder and tria... Its not that big a deal. I can still manipulate my plant's natural hormone production. ;) its not like you can put a ban on alfalfa and kelp. I'm straight.

I'll start "cooking" my alfalfa now... Haha.... :peacock:

We should add a best photo category... Silver can photograph my garden again and have a great chance at winning that. :)

Mister_D

Veteran
Lol I only use rooting powder and tria... Its not that big a deal. I can still manipulate my plant's natural hormone production. its not like you can put a ban on alfalfa and kelp. I'm straight.

I'll start "cooking" my alfalfa now... Haha.... :peacock:
Those would fall under the category of natural PGR's, and things I specifically mentioned as excluded earlier :biggrin:. I don't care much about the natural ones really, but it seemed biased to ban man made ones while allowing natural ones. Too much grey area that way. Trying to simplify this thing.....

We should add a best photo category... Silver can photograph my garden again and have a great chance at winning that. :)

This is a great idea. Could even be silvers handicap :biggrin:. Pretty sure he has us all beat hands down in the photo skill department :tiphat:.

bobblehead

Veteran
If you're going to ban alfalfa and kelp then you might as well ban all organic fertilizers, as well as the some synthetics... Doesn't h&g have pgr's in its ferts? Like we might as well say everyone has to use jack's.

Mister_D

Veteran
If you're going to ban alfalfa and kelp then you might as well ban all organic fertilizers, as well as the some synthetics... Doesn't h&g have pgr's in its ferts? Like we might as well say everyone has to use jack's.

Calm down bobble, take two of these :joint:. I know it's hard to believe, but there are TONS of other sources for nutes, both organic and chem, that don't contain pgr's. I mentioned kelp and alfalfa as examples because they contain natural pgr's. H&G's additive line up is also known to contain pgr's. So likewise, they are also banned from the contest. I don't feel like I'm cutting anyone's legs off here, rather leveling the playing field. No pgr's means you HAVE to rely on your skill as a grower to win, not some hormone that causes unnatural growth. To be fair tria and other natural hormones don't do as much for your yield as say palco, but like I said earlier, banning one and not the other creates too much grey area.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Brotha Maina..some of aptus definitely has pgrs in it.

It says right on their home page that fasilitator has "silicic acid" in it, which im pretty sure is another name for salycilic acid, which is infact a PGR..

Fasilitator is rebranded and distributed through aptus and is imported from Korea ($$$) somewhere, the pgrs are "natural and safe for organic gardening" but still pgrs...

Wether or not they are controversial (paclobutrazol) or natural (tricantonal) idk.
PGRs is a broad term and not all pgrs should be considered the same IMO...but that si another topic all its own..

I want in, but if I cant get the strawdd in time im gonna be having a contest by myself to see if I can grow a huge tree..and I haven't lost yet..

SRGB

Mister_D:

Ideas for categories.

GPW
Main Cola Size (over all length, or weight?)
Biggest yield

6 weeks from cut still applies, no limit on wattage, no pgr's, anything else goes.

Thoughts?

bobblehead:

Like we might as well say everyone has to use jack's.

Hi, Mister_D. Hi, bobblehead.

The first category listed ration would be g/Wgt?
The second category listed could be measured by L x Wdt x Wdt to give total volume - subcategory for each L, Wdt. Where each Wdt is the width between each side to the other side. For example, viewed from the top or bottom, measured from 0 degrees to 180 degrees, and measured from 90 degrees to 270 degrees.
The third category only total Wgt?

Perhaps flora-nova or maxi series; a single bottle or bag could suffice for the entire season, definitely limiting the variables and leveling the field, save for media and illumination selection. Relatively easy to source. Then the only differences in nutrients would be how much the gardener applied, their water quality, and pH adjustment (if desired or required).

By the way, at what point would the entries be measured? 72 hours after the conclusion of the formal season? A week? A week might also bring the variable of immediate post-season practices into the contest, which might also affect the outcome.

It might be difficult to measure aesthetics, and that category could be subjective, but have you considered a visual aestetics category? For example, presentation might be inherently in the contest, i.e.g., how entries will be measured and displayed, with the base and relatively difficult to manuever rules already in place.

Another consideration might also be related to presentation. That is, using the same resolution or similar resolution on illustrations. Also drafting illustrations from approoximately the same distance away from the entries or other contest equipment, to maintain the same or similar scale of presentation. Perhaps even selecting the same backdrop for illustrations. Even further, finding a way to deliver the final illustrations to the thread in a way so that the entrants could be labeled with numbers or letters instead of the gardeners` title, so the voting could be done somewhat `blind` without the voters knowing precisely which entry was derived from which gardener.

Just a few possible considerations for the gardener and contest.

Best,
/SRGB/

bobblehead

Veteran
We should all use the same fertilizer imo... Most of us have Jack's. We could do the grow with nothing more than CaNO3 and jack's pro.

Otherwise I'm putting Mills nutes up for review. I got a free sample pack from a friend.
http://www.millsnutrients.com/