What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hempy Bucket STYLE!!!

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
in regards to the first question, I use the back of the hand method and things seem to work out. If it's too hot on the back of my hand, it's too hot for the plant. Of course there is a much more reliable and scientific response to this...with temps & rh we have to worry about how well the plant transpires and what the uptake is/can/isn't. There is no problem moving the smaller plants closer to the light as long as the plant isn't getting too hot & isn't getting a breeze. LST is super easy and you'll be happy if you try it out.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Matt, looks good :)

J.rotten is right at the other spot, you have the light too far away. Did you say that you have another light coming? Dubwise is spot on with the back of the hand trick, too. with your 150 covering that much space, you won't be able to get the light that close & still cover the outside of the space. Will be fine to veg with, but flowering needs more juice (unless you get really unlucky and get a bunch of males)

PS, protekt is really good stuff, it's the only refined mineral nute bottle I use.

Keep it up!

yea this is what i was afraid of. Too big for my britches huh? well im gonna see what a 150 can pull off . Yea i orderd a light yesterday. Got SunSytem New Wave T5 2ft 4 lamp. It is for my small clone/veg room that i am going to start up(heat is an issue). I also ordered a inline fan and carbon filter. everything should be here within a week. :) So realistically a 150 w could pull of prob what 4 plants? because of the light dispurtion and what not. thanks again guys

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Man, you already have more experience with a 150 than I do :D I dunno, maybe will cover a 2' x 2' canopy up to ~8-10" deep? That would be a guess working backwards from a 400...

Lol if you outgrow the light, that is a good problem to have :) I had nice healthy plants with my big cfl's the first time out. If I were on a budget and just sprung for a cool new veg light, and NEEDED more light in my closet, I'd probably pick up 2 or 3 42w cfl's & clip on reflective fixtures to place on the outer edges of the hps footprint. If you can spring for it, I'm in love with CMH lighting. The bulbs last virtually forever, and the plants seem to love the light. google - advanced tech lighting.

4-11-12 Day29 Veg

4-11-12 Day29 Veg

Man, you already have more experience with a 150 than I do I dunno, maybe will cover a 2' x 2' canopy up to ~8-10" deep? That would be a guess working backwards from a 400...

Lol if you outgrow the light, that is a good problem to have I had nice healthy plants with my big cfl's the first time out. If I were on a budget and just sprung for a cool new veg light, and NEEDED more light in my closet, I'd probably pick up 2 or 3 42w cfl's & clip on reflective fixtures to place on the outer edges of the hps footprint. If you can spring for it, I'm in love with CMH lighting. The bulbs last virtually forever, and the plants seem to love the light. google - advanced tech lighting.

Well that is great to know. That i cant just Outgrow this 150 light. that you cann always add to it!. I love it. I will see how this time turnns out and yes possibly add a cpl CFL to my closet.

Well things are great here from VEG land. The Mountaingirls seem to be slowing down on the Growing. The 2.5 gal Mgirl is taking a liking to that larger pot. Look at the difference in plant structure and everything between the two.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Some pretty big fingers on this bad girl.. The colors in her are beautiful!
picture.php

This one is sad but in no way a true mark of my growing ability. Remember i added Hydro nutes to A fertilized soil. Not a good idea!!!
picture.php

This is the one i transplanted like 2-3 days ago. Absolutly no shock, or so i can see! Seems to have grown a half inch today. I know starting in solo cups and transplanting is not reccomended but it worked ok for me.

picture.php

And the two supersilver. 2nd one is the runt.
picture.php

I have been keeping the same watering cycle evry other day but as they are drinking more i think i will switch to 2x every 3 days. Watering soil plant about every 3-4 days. Temperatures have been at a constant low 68 and high 78. with humidity staying anywhere between 35-50 %. The light is about 16-18 Inches from the plants in order to provide adequate light for all plants.

Now i was wondering if somebody can give me a heads up about what im supposed to look for to go into flowering. Now the 3 smaller plants are the feminized ones and the genetic bought so they are really the ones i care about and want to have some size on them and produce more. I been told the larger Mgirls could already be taken to flowerin but like i said i wanna get some size on the others. Any heads up would be appreciated. Here links to stuff i got other day.

New Wave 24 T5
4" Inline Fan with Carbon Filter
and some bulbs!

I much anticipate for this stuff to come so I can get things rolling on the VEG room. Later Gater!

are you flowering with the t5?

prepare for some stretch 2-3x from that SSH, rest depends on how much space youre workin in/canopy size

are you flowering with the t5?

prepare for some stretch 2-3x from that SSH, rest depends on how much space youre workin in/canopy size

No plannin on Cloning/ Veggin with T5 next run. Veg and flowering with the HPS 150 this time. When should i expect the SS to stretch.

grow room addition

grow room addition

Well look what came in the mail today!!!​

IMG_20120412_193820.jpg

Ordered it on Monday night and got here today. SWEET!!. Its a 4" inline fan rated at 155CFM. .
IMG_20120412_194253.jpg
Already had an existing 4" hole cut thru two sheets of drywall getting out of closet and then into next room.I used a drywall saw and traced a circle and cut it out. Now I put in drywall anchors in the ceiling to hold the support chains. Two chains for the filter and one for the fan. Duct taped the fan exhaust to the 4" ducting i inserted in the cut out hole. Also duct taped the ducting to hole for no air leaks.attached the filter with a 4" duct clamp. And hung everything up!!
IMG_20120412_205716.jpg
It is actually very quiet to say the least. Not very much louder than a reagular house fan. Now we'll see how good this "DEAL" of a filter lasts me...

Here is the Final product with the girls back in their spots!!
IMG_20120412_210905.jpg

Oh man arnt they great? That super silver in the front right has definitly hit its stretch phase. grew like 2 inches in 2 days!!Hopefully i can pull this off with this much light.
IMG_20120412_210925.jpg

veg room setup

veg room setup

Well I got a little bit accomplished towards my new VEG room!! Now my T5 and bulbs are not supposed to be here til thurs so I wanted to get things started so it will be ready when the T5 arrives. I am using a "Hallway" that connects my dining room to my sunroom. This " hallway happens to be on the exact opposite wall of the current grow room. So they will be side by side. Got some Panda paper hung up to enclose the open doorway. I built a small wooden frame for the small black Honeywell fan and screwed the frame into the top of the doorway and made some clean cuts for the fan to blow thru the poly. This is goin to be my extraction fan for this room as i will have another small oscilating fan at plant level. this is why i decided to go with the CFL , i was told they were much cooler.!! The ducting runnin thru this room is the ducting from the inline fan in the main flower room it is carryin out the skylight!! heres a few pics to illustrate
IMG_20120415_200752.jpg
And the opposite side of the panda paper...The way im lookin in has a door that closes tight to keep all needed light in. The room size is about 3x3. Height will be however high i hang my lights.
IMG_20120415_200837.jpg

IMG_20120415_201015.jpg
A general view of both grows. You can see the doors to the flower closet through the window panes. Hopefully condensing and keeping these rooms close together will help keep smell down to a minnimum. They are both blowing air into a sunroom with skylights!and that door with the window panes is ALWAYS closed! :greenstars:

emerica

looking good
i wouldn't worry about yield too much
being your first run
but before you flower i would say trim the lower branches off
are you checking your ph?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When should i expect the SS to stretch.
From the minute the plant starts growing :)

seriously : SSH stretches like you wouldn't believe . how long to veg this girl depends on your height restrictions & grow methods (scrog , sog , trees etc.... ) but expect it to stretch 3 x as much as you put it into flower . its great for a scrog net & even then she can get away from ya .

camperpics287.jpg

Thats 2 plants in a 3 x 3 space in a scog net & were just touching the net when i put them in .

I literally just put 4 of these SSH in 1 gallon hempys tonight . they have 6 weeks before they can go into flower so i'm gonna train them into squat little bushes before i put them in their final 3 gallon hempy & then into flower . if i can keep them at a nice even canopy i won't need a net except to hold up the buds whe they fatten up .

Last edited:
4-16-12 dAY 34 VEG

4-16-12 dAY 34 VEG

From the minute the plant starts growing

seriously SSH stretches like you wouldn't believe . how long to veg this girl depends on your height restrictions & grow methods (scrog , sog , trees etc.... ) but expect it to stretch 3 x as much as you put it into flower . its great for a scrog net & even then she can get away from ya .

Thats 2 plants in a 3 x 3 space in a scog net & were just touching the net when i put them in .

I literally just put 4 of these SSH in 1 gallon hempys tonight . they have 6 weeks before they can go into flower so i'm gonna train them into squat little bushes before i put them in their final 3 gallon hempy & then into flower . if i can keep them at a nice even canopy i won't need a net except to hold up the buds whe they fatten up .
Excellent Information bra!! Yea look at My SSH. Of course the smaller one was a runt of a seedling but damn this mo fo grew 4 inches in 2-3 days.Big difference in size. Idk how to do scrog or any other methods as im BRAND new, so advice is appreciated. We'll see how mine do.

T5 lights coming tomorrow. YEA!! The plants are doing just great. Really starting to put off a strong odor. Delightful odor of course! Well first pic to start off was a boo boo by me. I didnt get the hose clamps right when I put fan up so Next day i got some and was putting clamps on when i knocked the clip on fan off and landed right on Mgirl#2. Heres what broke off, a noticable difference, but not huge! I will learn to move them next time!
IMG_20120414_151511.jpg

Everything has remained the same as far as watering and nutrients. I am watering 2x every 3 days. I notice them taking in more and more water day by day.I got a little bit better PH kit and have been able to ph my water,nutes,and runoff. The water im dealing with is 7.5-8.0. When Veg stage formula from technaflora is added 6.0-6.3. The runoff has been anywhere from 5.8-6.7 depending on whether im watering or feeding. Hope these numbers are pretty norm. I have been Using the B-1 Green as a foliar spray on the underside of the leaves about 1x a week. Here are the 2 supersilver and 1 white widow(dark bucket) The tube you see sticking out is a straw from a plastic drink bottle. Its perfect diameter to fit my holes and i drain it right to a bucket! NO MESS!
IMG_20120416_174020.jpg

The Mgirls are getting pretty big and bulky. I have had them Off to the side of the cab for last few days to allow the younger plants to catch up. I did put a few bricks underneath the younger plants to try and even the canopies up.
IMG_20120416_175639.jpg

Heres a shot of Mgirl #1 at about 19"
IMG_20120416_175933.jpg

Mgirl#2 at 20"
IMG_20120416_175801.jpg

Now advice is what i am seeking at this point about when to do the flip. Like i stated in previous posts i would like to get some decent sized buds out of the "genetic" 3 plants that i bought seeds for. These are the 3 smaller ones, So my ? when is a good time to do the flip? My T5 is on way so i need start thinking about cloning. When can u take clones? I read the 2nd week flower is best time but is this only time? Just wanted get de-briefed before everything creeps up on me!!

Thanks again guys! Keep Gods earth GREEN!

any reccomendation in puting my t5 in same cab as the hps 150. This would be adequate light to flower all the plants i have correct? But then i would have to forget about cloning and a mother until after this harvest... hmm have to outweigh the decisions. that is if that will be fine putting the t5 in there with it. Worst case whats happens if i try budding out the plants i have with the 150 alone? just some thoughts i had today hoping someone could answer.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Yo matt plants are cranking along, I see!!

The plants will begin to grow very fast after ~5-10 days from when you start with the 12hr nights. The 'stretch' will last anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks or longer, depending on genetics. The stretch will make everything grow - shoots, leaves, and stems. You will see... ;) I would say go ahead ans start with the 12/12 schedule if you are all sealed up properly, and your timers are working ok. They will grow like crazy if you keep giving them the attention and love that you have been. Don't get too hung up on additional light, you can always drop in some 42w cfl's vertically for like $20 a piece if you have to. The worst case scenario of overgrowing the available light is that the stuff that is away from the light source will be spindly and under developed. Not a big deal, really.

You can take clones any time, but in my opinion, and I think the general consensus is to take clones under a veg schedule, and keep them on the same schedule for the best success rate with little/no experience. Your plants are nice and big, and you don't have a million of them, so I would recco taking the clones as soon as you can. Even if it's just to get practice taking, labeling, and rooting clones. I like to take them in straight perlite (maybe add a lil vermiculite if you have it already), and put them 1-2 feet from a cfl for the first few days, then jam the cfl right on em till they root in another week or 2.

You mentioned that your tap water is 7.5-8.0? That's a lil rough, did you read "big Toke's guide to water chemistry" yet? It's the link I dropped in your thread on the other board a few weeks ago. It's a sticky here in the hydro section I think.

Later, Bra :p

someotherguy

Veteran
mornin' matt, i wanted to stop in and suggest you take a few deep breaths brother, this hobby of ours can get you over excited as you watch your first baby's grow and that can lead you to trying too many things at once.

for example, your excitement and inexperience has you with plants already too big for the light you intend to flower them under, even if you use both the 150 AND the T5 (which only adds another 96watts).

which means if it were me i'd defoliate the shit out of the lower growth, wait 3 days for them to heal up a bit, and then flip immediately.

on the plus side, if you do that, is that all the lower growth you trim off will make excellent cloning material and you NEED to trim it off because your lights won't reach it worth shit anyway.

try to look at this first grow as your first fuck, ...man it feels so great, ...but you ain't a stud yet and if you try techniques too advanced for ya, you'll end up screwing things up.

also on the plus side is that your plants look great, so you MUST be doing something right, lol.

btw, here is a couple shots of my first ever cab, powered by one of those 4 bulb, 2ft SunSystem T5's.

picture.php

picture.php

...and here's a couple of my second build to replace a closet i lost when i had to move, this btw was originally powered by 2x 150HPS bulbs mounted in a DIY cooltube, i've since upgraded to a 400CMH.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

anyway, i suggest to you that you try and relax a bit and don't get ahead of yourself, don't sweat worrying about yield, don't sweat when your girls stretch into the light, don't sweat when too many turn out to be male, don't sweat the hermie's that you will invariably get, etc., etc., etc.

just try and remember that this is your FIRST grow so no matter how little you get, or how crappy it might seem, it'll be the best damned bud you have EVER smoked, at least in part because you grew it yourself, ...and i promise, your NEXT grow will be at least 100% better than this one because you won't be a total noob next time, ...remember that each grow is practice for the next, lol.

peace, SOG

Yo matt plants are cranking along, I see!!

I would say go ahead ans start with the 12/12 schedule if you are all sealed up properly, and your timers are working ok.

Don't get too hung up on additional light, you can always drop in some 42w cfl's vertically for like $20 a piece if you have to.

I like to take them in straight perlite (maybe add a lil vermiculite if you have it already), and put them 1-2 feet from a cfl for the first few days, then jam the cfl right on em till they root in another week or 2.

You mentioned that your tap water is 7.5-8.0? That's a lil rough, did you read "big Toke's guide to water chemistry" yet? It's the link I dropped in your thread on the other board a few weeks ago. It's a sticky here in the hydro section I think.

Later, Bra :p

What up mr. B? thought u had fell off but i remembered. Ur here now. I feel like im gettin fed some BS by two particular s/n'S over there at mr.uknowwho . Idk man the info u and SOG provided. GREAT! First off , Yes sir, i am sealed for the deal. or i hope. Timers are working great as well. got the inline runnin 24hrs like u suggested. As far as lighting, I am just worried after cpl people said i didnt have enough light. I saw a CFL by Hydrofarm, Game with the bulb and the silver cone that hold is(IDK what its called) was only 23$. It said it was a 60watt Idk maybe equivalent to 60 they say. Is this what i want? agrosun dayspot grow light
I already bought a 96 pack of the 1.5 in rockwool cubes when i sprouted my seeds this time so ihave plenty off them to do Clones for a while. About the water i was thinking of gettin some ph down so when i give them straight water it wont be so high.. Gonna do the flip on SUNDAY. Thanks again dood. hope ur doing well.

mornin' matt,

for example, your excitement and inexperience has you with plants already too big for the light you intend to flower them under, even if you use both the 150 AND the T5 (which only adds another 96watts).

which means if it were me i'd defoliate the shit out of the lower growth, wait 3 days for them to heal up a bit, and then flip immediately.

on the plus side, if you do that, is that all the lower growth you trim off will make excellent cloning material and you NEED to trim it off because your lights won't reach it worth shit anyway.

anyway, i suggest to you that you try and relax a bit and don't get ahead of yourself, don't sweat worrying about yield, don't sweat when your girls stretch into the light, don't sweat when too many turn out to be male, don't sweat the hermie's that you will invariably get, etc., etc., etc.

peace, SOG

Thanks Bro. Yea with the lack of experience i had no idea how big to grow them during veg. Thank you for pointing it out to me. After lookin thru you and Barletta's albums I am super thankful you guys have taken the time to put me under the wing and help!!! seriously much appreciated. Like i told you before im sure you know, i AM trying to overdo everything. I just want so much so fast!!

Now when i go about defoliating any specific thing i need to remember. Now im not really concerned so much with cloning the two big girls b/c they were bag seed. Although i will do a couple for the practice and i have to defoliate anyway so y not. Are the three smaller "genetic" ones big enough to do a clone or two from? If you could help me wit that defoliate thing would be awesome. I found couple threads on it but who to believe.. a link would be awesome.. Thanks again guys. Heres a shot of the T5 in the veg closet gettin ready. Running some test runs to see what temps are like,etc..

picture.php

Peace my doods!

ONE LAST ?.. Grow store owner said i only want to use 6400K bulbs? I currently have 2 3000K bloom and 2 6400k veg bulbs. Is he right?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Veteran
high matt, i wanted to say first that you're welcome but no thanks are needed as i can already see that when the time comes, you will take your turn and freely share the knowledge you are gaining now and as many did for me when i popped my first beans, ...it's what we do brother, ...it's what makes us strong.

i'd also suggest to you that you don't confuse the issue by seeking help at MNS at this time as there is a terrible troll infestation there so most of the legit growers have either already left or are lurking and waiting for shanti to grow a pair and oust the fools. (some of those fools are here as well so be careful who you spend your time with)

as to your question regarding the lights, ...first, it's way more cost effective to skip the expensive, high-wattage CFL's and instead just use multiple 23 and 26 watters as they are everywhere so easy to find, plus you can often find 4 packs for under $10.00 and even with a $3.00 rebate, ...if you look around you can find them as cheap as $1.00 per bulb.

another benefit to using multiple bulbs is the you can customize your spectrum so you have more blue in veg and more red in flower, ...the reality is you need BOTH for all stages of life, just in different ratios, not that you CAN'T use just one or the other, just that using both works better.

now, lol, to understand the Kelvin color scale you just need to know that the lower the number the more red the light is so, ostensibly, the 6500Kelvin would be better for vegging than the 3000Kelvin.

in nature the sun hit's our atmosphere at different angles at different times of the year so we get a bluer light during the spring that gradually gets redder as the seasons progress until it's mostly red in the fall, and understand that this is an over-simplification so there is much more to learn if you've a mind to.

...now here is a link to a Sticky on defoliation that will have much info that you may find helpful, i know i did, lol.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163&highlight=defoliation"]Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique? [/URL]

also, when i first started out i did all my cloning and seed poppin' in rockwool starter cubes just like you and they worked great until one day my failure rate just went crazy and so did i, i NEEDED a reliable cloning method.

which led me to build myself a bubble cloner that i used very successfully for about a year and when i put it away it wasn't because it had stopped working, it was because i'd found something that worked just as well but was a better fit for my style of grow, ie lazy and sloppy, lol.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...and here is a picture of what i switched to and what i believe helped me MASTER cloning to a degree that i no longer worry and stress because i KNOW most of my cuts will root.

picture.php

and a link to the thread where i learned how to clone for real.

Walmart cloner

anyway, i'm not using the Walmart cloners anymore as i've changed most everything in the last year but i truely believe THAT is the cloning method you should learn first, after that, if you want to complicate things, you will have the experience you'll need to make ANY method work.

peace, SOG

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
hey matt-good job so far man those hempies look good. I noticed a comment you made about not worrying about the bagseed plants...but unless you remember it to be something you didn't like....you could have a gem in the rough. Don't think that free or cheap seeds aren't as good as the most expensive seeds. There's a lot of advertising that can drive a price up....however, there's some dope ass dope out there too. Keep up the good work man. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Latest posts