What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first legal grow!

rob feature

Proud graduates - about to finish up the 3rd week of higher education. Straight A-s for everyone!

AK Cherry Lime

i-ZHCmW97-XL.jpg

Mendocino County Diesel

i-pMw55cL-L.jpg

Master Kush

i-xzNBcNr-L.jpg

Blueberry (Class Bully)

i-mVdDm7q-XL.jpg

rob feature

I guess things were going a little too smoothly. The Mendocino County Diesel's back to being the drama queen & giving me a little attitude today. In a really short timeframe - like 12-24 hours she's started showing some issues in the fan leaves. Some are turning yellow & getting brown spots - more toward the middle of the fan. For the most part, this is happening to the oldest growth on the plant. The rest still looks good.

The only thing I've changed in a week is I've stopped filtering water. Whadaya think? Nitrogen deficient? I checked pH again last night and it's spot on still. Ima start filtering again to be on the safe side though.

i-XBTsLb9-XL.jpg

i-FMbjmHg-L.jpg

i-4cCLh8J-L.jpg

FLAgreenthumb

Alot of the drooping, and lockout issues look like over watering. Let them dry out until they start to droop SLIGHTLY, then give them some water. Also picking up the bags helps but thats a obvious. I don't trust those bags to be honest. I don't know if they dry out well. You may need a more airid mix with more perlite for them since they don't have been gaping holes. Also I don't like the bags because they could small shifts in the movement of the soil(or big ones). That can cause small levels of shock to the plants. I would ditch them for the next round..

I agree whole heartedly with the DR's diagnosis and treatment plan..lol
I dont wait for them to actually droop... idk about that... i mean if it happens once or twice probly not a big deal... but i dont think i could move forward with that as a standard practice?... and as far as water..
for the size of your grow just get a 5 gallon bucket w/ a lid and fill it up for 1.25 at a R/O water station in front of your grocery store.. make sure it is one that is serviced regularly though.... with r/o water you know your starting w/ a clean slate...
Hope this was/will be of some help.... good luck in all your other grows..

FLA

rob feature

I'm thinking on the whole water filtration thing. I'd like to have better water for myself too actually...might just buy something decent to filter the tap. And I have been filtering with an on-faucet filter, but decided to see if I could get away without. Maybe not? Also forgot I just started the +Size 7 days ago. Maybe the diesel doesn't care for it? The rest certainly don't seem to mind.

I agree whole heartedly with the DR's diagnosis and treatment plan..lol
I dont wait for them to actually droop... idk about that... i mean if it happens once or twice probly not a big deal... but i dont think i could move forward with that as a standard practice?... and as far as water..
for the size of your grow just get a 5 gallon bucket w/ a lid and fill it up for 1.25 at a R/O water station in front of your grocery store.. make sure it is one that is serviced regularly though.... with r/o water you know your starting w/ a clean slate...
Hope this was/will be of some help.... good luck in all your other grows..

FLA

When your plants go into flower they try and use all the nutrients up they no longer need. They no longer need very much nitrogen. so it uses it to boost your plant. then starts to yellow... Most of my ladies yellow quiet a bit in the last weeks of flower. I usualy just pull the leaves off.... the other reason this has happened to me is because it was outside in a 5 gallon pot in the middle of the summer heat and got too dry many times. and that has caused a plant to have its leaves turn brown. You're plants look great! they will yellow in the coming days.... just look at threads on icmag. you will see... most people dont like to show off there plants when there all yellow... thats the only thing...

rob feature

Hey, thanks Primalraindrop! I'd been sort of thinking that the plant may just be done with them and is re-absorbing all their energy before letting them go, but without much experience, that's just a guess. I'd have been a little more freaked if this happened to new growth. The rest of the plant looks plenty happy. I guess for now then I'll consider this a function of mid-flowering & let my hair back down a bit. She started putting on lots more trichomes about the time this happened, so maybe it's just a stage of that particular strain. I really do learn something new from these young ladies everyday.

FLAgreenthumb

Everything raindrop said is absolutley on the nose.....
I would have to disagree on it being aplicable to this particular situation... not trying to be argumentative, I just dont want rob to move forward thinking that what hes seeing is ok..
yellowing fan leaves as the plants begin to ripen is certainly normal, but the flowers are still very pistillate and a couple weeks from ripe... Again... always and only trying to help a fellow grower...
Rob if you look at the first pic in post #62.... The deep/dark purple petioles and yellowing leaves with necrotic spots is textbook potassium deficiency which can be caused, although not likely, from a lack of K in the soil... usually it's caused by lockout, or overwatering... Now the lockout itself can be caused by a few things... ph is one... but the one that may be applicable here is a magnesium deficiency.... and overwatering will stop the uptake of any nutrient. I know this all seems a little daunting, but getting a feel for our wonderful plant and being able to know what she needs is something that comes with just a little bit of time and just a few completed runs.
Soooo as to what to do with your garden on this run...
first of all if I certainly understand wanting better water for yourself as well as your garden, and as far as a faucet filter, that sounds great for your drinking water... but considering that you can get R/o water for .25 cent a gallon I highly advise going that route for your plants. Now as to the potash and possible magnesium defiency, let the
container dry out till it lightens, add 1 tbsp of epsom salt to a gallon of RO water and stir/mix till its dissolved, which will be almost instantly..lol then add 2 tsp of regular hydrogen peroxide(from the pharmacy i.e. 3-5%) to the same water...water till you just start to see runoff...
you still have 12 to 14 days till those ladies r ready and conquering this issue will mean available potash and magnesium in the critical final weeks of your ladies lives which will result in heavier yields and better all around smoke. Plus it will mean worlds to your confidence and capability as a grower ...
All of this is just my humble opinion.... good luck bro

FLA

PS> if you have horticultural H2o2 on hand follow the application rate for soil.

Madasulike

The pots u are using look like root pouches or similar I have had excellent results from these pots in soil far better than hard pots IMO

rob feature

Good stuff greenthumb - thanks for taking the time!

I think I can rule out overwatering unless this is wrong - I'm letting them get nice & light before filling the pots 'till runoff.

pH is at 6.4, which I now recall that I dropped from 6.7ish about a week ago. I'll calibrate the meter again to be safe.

I'll look into the RO from the local market. I have seen water dispensers there, but never bothered to look into it...should have plenty of options there.

Without knowing exactly what I'm missing I'm pretty hesitant to go tossing anything at it, but I'll look into the Epsom & H2O2. It'll be another day or so before she dries out again anyway.

What are the odds she's getting too much of something? This did happen after I started the +Size. Also since I stopped filtering, certainly more of something is getting through. She always has reacted poorly to cooler temperatures, so maybe that's manifesting itself more as the plant ages? It has been pretty chilly lately. But the thing that keeps coming back is that she's been a 'problem plant' all along. I more or less reluctantly left her in the room after she snapped out of it the last time. Cause the thing is I don't so much want to spend any more money on all this at the moment & if it starts getting time-consuming (and it will mixing special food for one plant), I'll just chop it down. I don't need a strain that's going to need lots of special care when I have 3 more which are responding well to the conditions (which are very simple to maintain).

Things to think on I guess. I'll get a look here in a couple hours how she progressed since last night.

Thanks again for the words!

rob feature

The pots u are using look like root pouches or similar I have had excellent results from these pots in soil far better than hard pots IMO

These are 5 gallon GeoPots. I haven't found any reason to dislike them yet except that I probably should have put more soil in them :biggrin:

rob feature

Okay, I think I'm over the idea of chopping. That didn't take long :biggrin:. This is too far along to scrap that easily.

All that stuff is cheap enough & not too much trouble for a few more weeks. I also have a bottle of Cal-Mag if that might help.

@FLAgreenthumb Ty for the kind words.
also he is right. I would suggest also... which is what i do. because its kind of a cure all for me. but worm castings. I don't know if your running 100% organic. but if you are worm castings and water can help soooo many minor problems. I dont think it will help you here. but you are a new grower and worm castings are worth there weight in gold for organics.

rob feature

@FLAgreenthumb Ty for the kind words.
also he is right. I would suggest also... which is what i do. because its kind of a cure all for me. but worm castings. I don't know if your running 100% organic. but if you are worm castings and water can help soooo many minor problems. I dont think it will help you here. but you are a new grower and worm castings are worth there weight in gold for organics.

I have nothing against organics, but didn't go that route this time. I'd eventually like to transition over to fully organic, but that's down the road.

I'm trying to go more or less by the KISS philosophy - the V+B version. I know it has some organics, but I believe is mostly chemical. I'm already somewhat beyond KISS as I'm also using the +Size now and have been using the +Life the whole time. The +Life doesn't change pH and is easy to dose, so I still consider it quite simple. The +Size did complicate things slightly, but only by having to measure out another .3g of powder every time...big deal. Err, I'll take that back. I was trying to bring pH down further anyway and 6.4 was my target and the +Size put it spot on. So actually it sped things up as I was dosing pH down before.

Gonna find a way to carry lots of RO tomorrow & switch over ASAP. I'm may just give the one plant RO for now as the rest seem to be doing fine. I'm still going back to filtering for them though.

Thanks for the tips!

onavelzy

Veteran
Jeez Louise Rob, i hadn't checked in here for a few weeks. Look at how big they are now! that's some mighty fine work. hope the diesel gets back on track for you.

FLAgreenthumb

Good stuff greenthumb - thanks for taking the time!

No problem bro.. Thats what places like this r all about :)

Yeah you can rule out the over watering based on what your saying, and the H2o2 was to add some oxygen to your soil to help correct this problem, but if your sure that lack of oxygen(overwatering) isnt the problem, (and it doesnt sound like it is), than I would skip the H2o2 because it does kill a percentage of the microbial life in the soil.

As far as PH, although 6.7 is not ideal, in soil it will not cause lockout. BTW the 6.2 you dropped it to IS ideal.. :dance013:

Now concerning the temps... rootzone temp is what we would be worried about... lockout starts occuring at 60 degrees, but temps in soil/soiless mediums follow the ambient air temps pretty closely... being that your growing in a tent I dont think you have anything to worry about in this area. Also if this was the problem the other plants would be exhibiting the same symptoms.

The epsom is to supplement magnesium, and is fairly benign as an additive/nutrient. certainly not going to hurt anything. All things considered I feel comfortable rec. the epsom salt... although I would go with 2 tsp instead of the tbsp i said before, I know thats just 1 tsp less but hey, its the little things right?! lol

Always and only... my humble opinion

FLAgreenthumb

The grow room stays just below 74F when the light is on...upper 50s when the light is off...I just happen to be turning the heat down then. I understand something near a 20 degree differential is good and near 60 for a low is fine. Again, maybe a decent place for constructive criticism?
Up next...MCD....

Just a real quick add.... your temps are a little low. The 74 during the day is OK, 80 would b ideal, but 74 is certainly OK and will not cause any problems whatsoever... but if your at 74 I wouldnt drop below 70 at night.... you never want your temps to ever drop below 60. lockup starts at 60 degrees(rootzone)....rootzone follows ambient sooo....
The generally accepted range is 80-85 day and 70-75 night. In my experience 80 during the day and 70 at night is ideal for our stoney little plant.
anyway.. just trying to help... overall you have a beautiful garden, I noticed and especially liked how neat and clean you keep your tent..
Kudos on the successful run:woohoo:

rob feature

Now concerning the temps... rootzone temp is what we would be worried about... lockout starts occuring at 60 degrees, but temps in soil/soiless mediums follow the ambient air temps pretty closely... being that your growing in a tent I dont think you have anything to worry about in this area. Also if this was the problem the other plants would be exhibiting the same symptoms.

I was thinking the other plants might be better adapted to the environment here. It's still more or less Winter in Colorado - snowed today actually. So the floor stays pretty chilly most of the year. I was sticking my hand under the pots early on & it was quite chilly under there. I had the MCD & Master Kush on a pad for a while as they were looking sort of saddish...figured it might be the cool floor. I pulled out the pad, but the diesel is the only one still on the floor - others are propped up by various means. I'm gonna get her off the floor tonight. Dunno why I'm just now thinking about that.

Once again, props :tiphat:

rob feature

Just a real quick add.... your temps are a little low. The 74 during the day is OK, 80 would b ideal, but 74 is certainly OK and will not cause any problems whatsoever... but if your at 74 I wouldnt drop below 70 at night.... you never want your temps to ever drop below 60. lockup starts at 60 degrees(rootzone)....rootzone follows ambient sooo....
The generally accepted range is 80-85 day and 70-75 night. In my experience 80 during the day and 70 at night is ideal for our stoney little plant.
anyway.. just trying to help... overall you have a beautiful garden, I noticed and especially liked how neat and clean you keep your tent..
Kudos on the successful run:woohoo:

Many thanks :tiphat:. I'm enjoying watching them come along. Now if I could just find a way to keep the rest of the place as clean as the tent :biggrin:

I don't think I'm getting under 60 ambient in here anymore. The floor is a different story though. I'm not sure of the temp, but I wear thickish socks or some sort of shoes around here all the time. Gonna move her off the floor tonight & see what that does.

rob feature

Thanks Matte!

I got back in for a look. This is after about 24 hours. I tried to take more or less the same pics of the same leaves to show progression.

i-b6RPzmz-XL.jpg

i-sPH46Zr-XL.jpg

Diesel is off the ground now - figured I'd find a use for these one of these days

i-z9qxQXS-XL.jpg

But on every dark cloud is a silver lining, yes? Maybe a bunch of silver linings?

i-SkfhkpF-L.jpg

Clearly not everyone is at odds with the conditions

i-mH5XVrp-XL.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts