Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Proper amount of seeds for pheno hunt? How much is too much?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
Proper amount of seeds for pheno hunt? How much is too much? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 PM #1
Burro Johnson

Burro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the rough
Proper amount of seeds for pheno hunt? How much is too much?

Proper amount of seeds for pheno hunt? How much is too much?
What number would render the search successful?

As we all know growing and getting the most out of every plant is very important these days, especially with unnecessary regulations against plant count. And the vast amount of new seed companies and new marijuana ventures, making finding the best pheno giving you a greater success rate.

to me the most important traits are Smell Effect and Potency, yield isn't a priority

how many seeds would you need to pop to find the pheno you are looking for? For any strain. Not just stable ones where the pheno is common.

How much is too much?

And when would be adding more to that number be unnecesary?

thanks for your opinions and i hope this thread can be educational
please lets keep this thread positive, Thank you
Burro Johnson is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 PM #2
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
There's no such thing as too much. Do as many as you can.

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 PM #3
Burro Johnson

Burro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the rough
Haha that is my style too

Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 PM #4
rolandomota

rolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to allrolandomota is a name known to all
10 pack should have what's advertised if your running 40 seeds and can't find the smell and taste your after (blueberry) then your looking in the wrong place
rolandomota is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 PM #5
mack 10

mack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant future
Work with what you feel comfortable with.
Sometimes less is more.

Double OG.
mack 10 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 PM #6
MedResearcher

MedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really nice
More numbers, more chance of seeing recessive traits pop up.

That being said, it can be hard to really judge individual phenos when you are working with 100's of plants at a time.

Slower, but possible more thorough. To grow more successive smaller batchs over time. Keeping clones, and running them again along side the next batch.

You may need to run a clone/pheno 3 or 4x before you dial it in, and really know it well.

Some traits are easier to select than others. You could look at 100 phenos and pick out for bag appeal or flower shape. Choosing for flavor or high though, that is quite the process multiplied by 100s of phenos you might miss a gem or two.

Mr^^
MedResearcher is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 PM #7
EL Picos

EL Picos will become famous soon enough
My opinion is 10 for feminized and 30 for regulars, 5 and 20 are not enough, only my opinion!
EL Picos is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 AM #8
Burro Johnson

awesome 100 seems to be the most common number i am getting from you guys alot of good replies thanks everybody

Old 09-21-2018, 12:11 AM #9
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
There's no such thing as too much. Do as many as you can.
Yeah, but I mean, you are a self labelled seed whore Maybe not the best person to ask about "how many seeds" Is like asking cookie monster if he has enough cookies. No. No he doesn't.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study The Propagation And Breeding Of Distinctive Cannabis By Robert Connell Clarke-->https://archive.org/details/Marijuan...nctiveCannabis
AgentPothead is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:19 AM #10
Crooked8

Crooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud ofCrooked8 has much to be proud of
Without considering luck at all, the more the merrier. I will say my favorite keeper of all time came from a 10 pack though. You could have one seed and have it be absurdly stable and goregous. Ive had that happen too.

Cheesey Thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=257552
DWC vs Flood and Drain:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=257919
RedEyedGenetics Abusive OG x Ortega Test Grow:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=263159
Karma Genetics "Anonymous" Test Grow:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....64#post5874664
My first crosses, Danish, Grease and Rocket OG:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....27#post6055827
Bho Disasters:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=266761