What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New bill proposed in Colorado will be bad for patients, growers and dispensaries

Baddog40

A state senator says his plan to regulate the budding medical marijuana industry could drive about half of the dispensaries in Colorado out of business.

It would replace the existing system with one based more on medicine and treatment in keeping with the intent voters had when they approved Amendment 20 in 2000, said Sen. Chris Romer.

"What we have to do is force this whole conversation back into a medical model," said Romer, D-Denver.

The amendment allowed people with certain "debilitating medical conditions" to use medical marijuana if a doctor said they could benefit from it. The amendment created a confidential statewide registry for patients but did not set out precisely how the system of "caregivers" would be set up.

As a result, dispensaries have cropped up across the state, selling medical marijuana and foods with cannabis with little or no regulation or zoning.

Romer said he expects to file his legislation this week.
The bill would allow the state to license medical marijuana clinics and growers after they have been licensed by local jurisdictions such as cities and counties. Romer compared the process to getting a liquor license but said that clinics and growers essentially would have to prove they would have no detrimental effects on the community.

He said owners and managers of clinics would have to undergo background checks.

Meanwhile, the bill would allow chiropractors and registered nurses to sell medical marijuana to 20 percent of their patients without getting a license. And it would allow physical therapists and optometrists to provide 20 patients with medical marijuana without clinic licenses.

Local communities also could ask voters to impose a tax of up to 10 percent of the purchase price on medical marijuana in addition to existing sales taxes.

Romer said the bill would allow the Department of Public Health and Environment to enact stricter rules on the issuance of medical marijuana cards to patients.

The bill would prohibit doctors from getting paid by medical marijuana clinics or caregivers, and it would expressly allow local governments to impose zoning laws on clinics.

Patients under 21, with the exception of veterans, would have to get approval for medical marijuana from a special board.

Romer said his bill could "close down as much as 50 percent of the existing retail structure" for medical marijuana.

Matt Brown, executive director of Coloradans for Medical Marijuana Regulation, which represents dispensaries, said the group does not support the bill in its current form.

Although the industry supports greater regulation, Brown said, the bill essentially would give law enforcement unfettered access to detailed information about clinics and growers and their operations.
"It just has an unnecessarily high abuse potential," he said.

Law enforcement officials also are taking a wary look at Romer's proposal.

Ted Tow, executive director of the Colorado District Attorneys' Council, said the organization supported Romer's efforts to rein in problems with the existing system such as doctors signing off on medical marijuana cards with a wink.
But he said district attorneys could not take a position on any legislation until they have fully reviewed it.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13947720

Lord Doobie

I certainly don't wanna say 'I told ya so'....but this is exactly the thing I predicted was going to happen if you search my threads. When a middle-aged housewife can get her MMJ card in-between filling her wiper fluid and picking up the dry-cleaning without so much as disclosing her weight, there's going to be trouble down the road. The problems with the current system are almost a daily event on the local news here in Colorado...a bad omen. Since you have to be re-certified by a doctor every 365 days, it's only a short time before the clock runs out and your MMJ card expires. If this passes, it will be a much tougher task proving you need MMJ for your illness. Right now, no proof is needed at all. I think herein lies the problem. The days of "I've got an ear-ache" are going to be a distant memory due to system abuse of over 400 applicants a day. We've already come to the crossroads with Romer...and he's a Democrat. Let's hope those who really need MMJ are able to easily receive it. I was going to get my card but changed my mind...glad I did because they don't have any record of me.

Let's say this proposal passes. If you previously signed up and got a card under false pretenses with no medical proof, the doctor will soon filter you out of the system. But this leaves LEO with all your personal info from your previous card. Even if you simply don't re-apply, they still have your record that you used MJ and possibly growing. They're stopping people coming out of hydro shops here. Imagine a simple traffic stop. Perhaps registering to vote. Renewing your driver's license. A simple cross-check of your name...What's this? An old MMJ card registrant? That may be probable cause right there...

JMO

Surrender

Why would LEO have any info from your previous card?

The proposed regs are a big fat target for a patients'-rights lawsuit.

canaguy27

Who knows, but a mmj card should not come up on a cross check. I was under the impression that they could only call to confirm if you had a license or not. I have never called in, so I don't know what they say.

Can they really tell a doctor what they can and cannot do? Seems like someone would fight that in court.

edit: too much money is being made for this thing to stop. it may slow down, but we will find a way to move forward.

johnnyla

Veteran
"the bill would allow chiropractors and registered nurses to sell medical marijuana to 20 percent of their patients without getting a license. And it would allow physical therapists and optometrists to provide 20 patients with medical marijuana without clinic licenses."

LMFAO. what do these retards know about Ganja?

The world is going to POT.

I would like to see the actual text of the proposed bill, if anyone has it. And, remember, it's just a proposal, whatever Romer proposes will be debated, and possibly challenged as unconstitutional. Colorado's MMJ law is part of our State Constitution, which makes it a difficult thing to modify.
Anyway, I reserve judgment until I can read the thing...

And, as for people being concerned about LEO, 14,000 of us already have our cards... the more the merrier! OVERGROW the Government!

They're stopping people coming out of hydro shops here. Imagine a simple traffic stop. Perhaps registering to vote. Renewing your driver's license. A simple cross-check of your name...What's this? An old MMJ card registrant? That may be probable cause right there...

Paranoid much?

I think it´s more likely this won´t be negative and with more sales outlets and more people making money from the sale of medicinal cannabis more people will have access, more people will buy it, and demand will only grow.

Governments don´t have the budget for the war on cannabis anymore, and even if they do have money today they won´t have it tomorrow.

This is just the death throes of a horrible era of American history that doesn´t want to die yet. Tough titty. Just die already.

whodi

Veteran
don't know much on politics, but why doesn't the CO legislators appoint someone to work with to get a better understanding of MMJ and the business, then they can propose their 'bills'

K

Kola Radical

For all these years, there has been a War On Drugs which is really a War On American People.

They have a lot of payback coming. Let them try to put the genie back in the bottle. But let me warn them that the genie is pissed and won't go easily.

Baddog40

So if I understand this correctly if it passes, only dispensaries will be able to provide medicine; growers will have to get a 'growers license', will only be able to grow in places that are zoned commercial/agricultural, and must sell only to dispensaries; growers, dispensary owners, and anyone working in a dispensary will have to pass a background check and must be of 'good moral character'.

Growers and dispensaries must be approved by the neighborhood and the city then pass strict guidelines by the state in order to get a license and the fees for licensing will be in the thousands of dollars. Does this sound about right?

So if I understand this correctly if it passes, only dispensaries will be able to provide medicine; growers will have to get a 'growers license', will only be able to grow in places that are zoned commercial/agricultural, and must sell only to dispensaries; growers, dispensary owners, and anyone working in a dispensary will have to pass a background check and must be of 'good moral character'.

Growers and dispensaries must be approved by the neighborhood and the city then pass strict guidelines by the state in order to get a license and the fees for licensing will be in the thousands of dollars. Does this sound about right?

The whole thing sounds impossible.

They want public hearings on grow ops, and dispensaries, you have to invite your neighbors to a meeting! I didn't see any fees, but I'd assume $X,000 or more... annually, oh, and no cash for growers, all payments electronic. Architectural drawings, County Building Code enforcement. Industrial or Agricultural for Growers, only. NO HOUSES, unless it's a farm house.

A fucking weekly report from all grows, what did you harvest, what will you harvest, when, what strains, how many more days. All grows have to have video surveilance. Access to all records. No growers can sell to Patients, only to Dispensaries or Caregivers. NO MORE CAREGIVERS, unless you are a Chiropractor, or Opthamologist, or a few others.......

Patients have to have a relationship with their doctors, no more doctors at the Dispensary...

This is what I interpreted, anyway. I read it once, I will read it again.....

I guess they will have to hire an Army to enforce the new law, if it passes. Their will be like 1 Legal Grow, 100 Dispensaries, 10 Patients!

Everyone else will just go black market, it will be cheaper!

I really don't have any idea whether Romer can get this passed.. it repeatedly refers to some Government Agencies that don't even exist!

I am anxious to see a statement from Rob Corry, you know he loves the press, I expect we'll see a news conference from him soon. I am happy someone will fight this... we will see what happens.

Wow people...we're fucked! This Bill would shut me down, period. I'm calling Matt Brown tomorrow at CMMR and volunteering as much of my time as he can use for as long as he needs me. We HAVE to stop this bill. How is there NOT 20 pages going on this thread by now? Don't caregivers understand the implications? The wrong people have been profiting from MMJ and the powers that be are shutting it down. This is the most serious threat we have faced yet. The 5 patient cap last spring and the definition change of "caregiver" last month is NOTHING compared to what we stand to lose if this passes. Fight or die time people!

Yup, we're fucked bro. Can't sell to anybody but dispensaries as a grower. Have to register as a grower and supply weekly updates on your garden to the state. Zoning will be in effect so no more growing where you live. I don't think anybody knows about this yet. Maybe they just don't care or aren't afraid of it, I dunno. But this is by far the biggest threat MMJ has faced yet in CO.

Baddog40

I am going to send an email to Mr. Romer and I highly suggest every small grower with patients do the same. I'm sure 95% of the email he has received about this has been from dispensaries or dispensaries under the guise of patients. Us small growers (under 100 plants), the paranoid fucks that we are, I'm sure has not been heard from as much as we need to be. Explain to him that because we ARE NOT the greedy ones in all this we will be the ones pushed out, plain and simple. This isnt written in stone yet.

chris.romer.senate@state.co.us

I am going to send an email to Mr. Romer and I highly suggest every small grower with patients do the same. I'm sure 95% of the email he has received about this has been from dispensaries or dispensaries under the guise of patients. Us small growers (under 100 plants), the paranoid fucks that we are, I'm sure has not been heard from as much as we need to be. Explain to him that because we ARE NOT the greedy ones in all this we will be the ones pushed out, plain and simple. This isnt written in stone yet.

chris.romer.senate@state.co.us

Word! "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Baddog40 again."