What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get rid of “The Slime” aka “Brown Slime Algae” aka “Cyanobacteria” forever!

S

SeaMaiden

I don't get it. Cyanobacteria are algae or maybe more correctly alga. Antibiotics for algae? So how do you go about getting an antibiotic prescription for algae? I have run hydro and have dealt with algae.

EDIT test.

No, not for algae, for BACTERIA. Cyanobacteria, and he's right. It should be readily available at any good aquarium shop, labeled as only for aquatic use.

Where I live in Cali erythromycin is available by prescription only so once again how do you get a prescription for your plants or just walk into your local store and buy some?

Yeah well I've dealt with Nostoc, Microcystis, Spirulina platensis, Chlorella regularis, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, Gloeotrichia, Anabaena and maybe what you consider algae such as Laminaria et al for the better part of the last 20 years.

Interesting though the use of antibiotics for cyanobacteria. I've always seen them a bacteria/plant hybrid.

I mean seriously...what strain is in the pics you're posting? What is it exactly you have going on? If you want I can refer you to a few labs that can do some testing.
In aquatics, a Dx can be made if the erythromycin works.
Also, the erythromycin is effective against many species of Cyanobacteria.

N

Nondual

No, not for algae, for BACTERIA. Cyanobacteria, and he's right.
Cyanobacteria are a bacteria/plant hybrid. If you do some research you will find some ocean bacteria that will start producing chlorophyll once infected with a virus. Basically some natural genetic engineering and mutations of a sort. To me those are not cyanobacteria as they don't do that unless infected.

So if you wanna go off the prokaryote vs eukaryote thing as how algae are defined then Chlorella regularis is an algae while Athrospira platensis is a bacteria. I know there has been a reclassification thing but to put spirulina into the same class as Salmonella, Staphylococcus and E. coli/coliforms ain't right IMO. I test for those every week.

No one yet has posted exactly what strain the 'brown slime algae' is? What is the scientific classification? I've seen no scientific references, peer reviewed studies or anything. WHAT is 'brown slime algae'???

Anyway not saying antibiotics won't or don't work for what the OP has stated. I've been dealing with bacteria, cyanobacteria and algae for over 20 years. For me 3 different classes.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I have been confused about calling a clear slime, cyanobacteria, when the cyan refers to the color, as in blue-green-algae. Are there clear cyanobacteria? What, these just don't have chlorophyll?

U

Ultra Current

I'll let you guys have the debate about this subject. Cyanobacteria can be many colors depending on the type of light and strain. In my EZ Cloner, there is no light so this may have an effect on the color as well. Cyanobacteria doesn't need light to survive. I'm just happy that all my cloners are back in action from my Erythromycin! My point of this thread was to show you how to make it go away forever. My job here is done.

N

Nondual

I'll let you guys have the debate about this subject.

My job here is done.
You're the OP and should be on point but I guess not because you simply don't know.

My point of this thread was to show you how to make it go away forever.
Make WHAT go away forever? What exactly is 'brown slime algae'? I mean root rot is typically listed as Pythium.

So what is 'brown slime algae'???

Cyanobacteria doesn't need light to survive.
Which strains of cyanobacteria? I can list some that won't proliferate without light/sunlight.

N

Nondual

Seriously dude you started this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=224381&page=2

on 10-27-11 and now you're an expert on antibiotic treatments of 'the slime'?

I've been dealing with bacteria, cyanobacteria and algae professionally for 20 years so school me. I deal with labs almost daily and have also done my share of indoor hydro growing. Ever hear of Woods Hole Institute? Worked with them in the early 90's on a microalgae project.

BTW I've never had an aquarium so guess I'm at a disadvantage here.

U

Ultra Current

Seriously dude you started this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=224381&page=2

on 10-27-11 and now you're an expert on antibiotic treatments of 'the slime'?

I've been dealing with bacteria, cyanobacteria and algae professionally for 20 years so school me. I deal with labs almost daily and have also done my share of indoor hydro growing.
There is plenty of information at your figure tips to do your own research. You seem like you are too smart for your own good. I gave the advise that I needed to give, to help out the thousands of other growers that will read this. I have made many contributions to this site in many names. I've seen professional people like you many times who have no idea what they are talking about. That diploma that you have sounds like a big waste of money. I've been growing for well over 15 years and take this shit very seriously. I never started this thread to debate but there are many closet growers like yourself that have nothing to do with their time. Me, I'm no closet grower and have many locations and partnerships that keep me very busy. Instead of debating eminem and all the posts that you post on this site you should start your own threads to help this great community. The real heads know what's up and that's all I really care about. Judging from your pics, I don't even believe that you grow trees. This is my very last response to you in this thread and you will now be ignored.

N

Nondual

There is plenty of information at your figure tips to do your own research. You seem like you are too smart for your own good. I gave the advise that I needed to give, to help out the thousands of other growers that will read this. I have made many contributions to this site in many names. I've seen professional people like you many times who have no idea what they are talking about. That diploma that you have sounds like a big waste of money. I've been growing for well over 15 years and take this shit very seriously.
I don't have any diplomas so you're wrong and just 20 years of field experience dealing with the algae 'thing' on a professional level. Never considered myself as a closet grower. Is 5,000 watts a closet grower? Not doing that now but have. Those pics are lost.

Instead of debating eminem and all the posts that you post on this site you should start your own threads to help this great community.
I've never debated Eminem or maybe not understanding what you're trying to say here. Do you really know how many posts I have here or how many threads I've started?

Judging from your pics, I don't even believe that you grow trees.
LOL! I've lost track of how many accounts I've trashed and what pics I've posted on the forums over the years. You're right though in that I'm not currently growing trees. You got a few nice pics in your gallery. Not particularly impressive though. So guess you're like me with all these past 'things' we've done.

Me, I'm no closet grower and have many locations and partnerships that keep me very busy.
Sorry man and didn't realize you're such a player. I can only take your word on that. I know what I've done and been involved with.

softyellowlight

Cyanobacteria is NOT brown. It is a bright BLUE, hence the prefix "cyan-" and it shares similar properties to other "blooms" (i.e. colonial microorganisms) but it is its own distinct organism. Cyanobacteria smells strongly of geosmin, that of ruddiness and wet dirt. You would know it if you saw it, trust me.

U

Ultra Current

Cyanobacteria is NOT brown. It is a bright BLUE, hence the prefix "cyan-" and it shares similar properties to other "blooms" (i.e. colonial microorganisms) but it is its own distinct organism. Cyanobacteria smells strongly of geosmin, that of ruddiness and wet dirt. You would know it if you saw it, trust me.

Like I said before, it can come in many colors depending on strain and type of light or no light. Do some research online or in some books and you will see other colors that are not blue. Here's a quote but look yourself and do the research to see. If a poster like this says it is only blue because of what the name is and you see scientific research that proves it wrong then you know the poster has no idea what they are talking about.

I found this in 60 seconds. You can find many more information guys.

"Cyanobacteria: phylum of prokaryotic aguatic bacteria that obtain their energy through photosynthesis. They are often referred to as blue-green algae, even though it is now known that they are not related to any of the other algal groups, which are all eukaryotes. Cyanobacteria may be single-celled or colonial. Depending upon the species and environmental conditions, colonies may form filaments, sheets or even hollow balls. Some filamentous colonies show the ability to differentiate into three different cell types. Despite their name, different species can be red, brown, or yellow; blooms (dense masses on the surface of a body of water) of a red species are said to have given the Red Sea its name. There are two main sorts of pigmentation. Most cyanobacteria contain chlorophyll a, together with various proteins called phycobilins, which give the cells a typical blue-green to grayish-brown colour. A few genera, however, lack phycobilins and have chlorophyll b as well as a, giving them a bright green colour.
Unlike bacteria, which are heterotrophic decomposers of the wastes and bodies of other organisms, cyanobacteria contain the green pigment chlorophyll (as well as other pigments), which traps the energy of sunlight and enables these organisms to carry on photosynthesis. Cyanobacteria are thus autotrophic producers of their own food from simple raw materials. Nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria need only nitrogen and carbon dioxide to live: they are able to fix nitrogen gas, which cannot be absorbed by plants, into ammonia (NH3), nitrites (NO2) or nitrates (NO3), which can be absorbed by plants and converted to protein and nucleic acids.
Cyanobacteria are found in almost every conceivable habitat, from oceans to fresh water to bare rock to soil. Cyanobacteria produce the compounds responsible for earthy odors we detect in soil and some bodies of water. The greenish slime on the side of your damp flowerpot, the wall of
your house or the trunk of that big tree is more likely to be cyanobacteria than anything else. Cyanobacteria have even been found on the fur of polar bears, to which they impart a greenish tinge. In short, Cyanobacteria have no one habitat because you can find them almost anywhere in the world."

U

Ultra Current

It should also be noted that the slime you see is not the actual cyanobacterium agglomeration, but what it/they exsude. The actual Cyanobacteria are underneath.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
OK. So after all that, you say this ....

It should also be noted that the slime you see is not the actual cyanobacterium agglomeration, but what it/they exsude. The actual Cyanobacteria are underneath.

So now this makes more sense.

Here's a couple of pictures of some cuts that have "The Slime":

The slime looks like clear, brown or yellow snot.

I'm used to having discussions where the participants are working together to obtain a better understanding of the subject at hand. It seems here though that simple queries, about points that need illuminating, are interpreted as being some challenge of sorts. The original poster started from the very beginning telling another that...

You are dead wrong....

Like I said Cyanobacteria is not algae. People thought that "Brown Slime Algae" was algae so they named it wrong. They were mistaken just like you are. The real name is supposed to be called "Brown Slime Bacteria" but people are confused. Now you know.

You came here and posted this to illuminate us all, and I'm glad you did, cause this antibiotic bit is important info. But when people read it and something doesn't seem quite right, the way it works here is they ask you politely for more clarification. The proper response isn't to put them down. This has poisoned the whole thread. Congratulations.

U

Ultra Current

OK. So after all that, you say this ..

So now this makes more sense.

I'm used to having discussions where the participants are working together to obtain a better understanding of the subject at hand. It seems here though that simple queries, about points that need illuminating, are interpreted as being some challenge of sorts. The original poster started from the very beginning telling another that...

You came here and posted this to illuminate us all, and I'm glad you did, cause this antibiotic bit is important info. But when people read it and something doesn't seem quite right, the way it works here is they ask you politely for more clarification. The proper response isn't to put them down. This has poisoned the whole thread. Congratulations.

I agree with most of what you are stating. I handled myself in a poor mannner. After cleaning the veg room and smoking a joint of Chem dd, I realized that I may have acted as an asshole and I apologize for that. My personality is all over the place and I medicate with weed instead of perscription. Weed usually brings me back to earth. I probably should have provided more info and just not come back cause everything I needed to say is in the first post. But seriouly I'm done with this debate or whatever it is. Just do a little google search on Cyanobacteria and you will find lots of info about colors and all sorts of shit hat some people came in here like it wasn't true. I might seem like I have an attitude but it seems a lot of time people just want to argue. People want to try and discredit me but this thread I don't say "I think", it a thread about this is how you kill it. It's right to the point in he first post just like it should be. No one want to read through 100 posts of shit to get to the answer like in most threads. Fact is that I know what I'm talking about. I take this shit real seriously. I've been living off of this for almost 20 years and it's not all about money. I don't claim to know everything and I'm constanly learning more shit all the time even when I thin there's nothing else. This has been my passion in life and there's nothing more that I love more in life than learning about these plants. I plan on posting many tests on this site in the future in many subjects but next time I'll try to be nicer even when I'm being attacked. It's like when you post up knowledge on this site, you have to defend yourself cause your under attack. If you want to talk shit and reply then at least do a little google search and be prepared at least. People want to debate colors when hey can find out there wrong in a second but then it turns into this. Whatever it is I apologize to any who feels that I offended. I don't feel hat I need to say anything else here unless I run another test on his subject. To any growers who are having this problem, feel free to tell us how it all went, good or bad. The end.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
On a number of occasions I've realized, after smoking a joint, that my past actions have been too harsh.

It's like when you post up knowledge on this site, you have to defend yourself cause your under attack.

I think that sentence sums it all up.

Really, there was no debate here. Nobody was attacking you. People were just trying to clarify the information presented here. That's how this place is supposed to work. Somebody presents some information and then others chime in to add something or to ask for or make a point of clarification. Everybody talks it out, making an effort to aid everyone's understanding. And at the end, most everybody involved leaves a little smarter than when they started.

When it goes wrong is when people personally identify with the information that they are presenting to others. When other people ask for clarification or challenge that information it then gets interpreted as a personal attack. But really, people are just trying to gain understanding and help others do the same. We're just exchanging information.

Smoke another J and relax. Everybody who has had or will have snot in their cloner is/will be glad you posted this. I know I am. It's useful information.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
On a number of occasions I've realized, after smoking a joint, that my past actions have been too harsh.

I think that sentence sums it all up.

Really, there was no debate here. Nobody was attacking you. People were just trying to clarify the information presented here. That's how this place is supposed to work. Somebody presents some information and then others chime in to add something or to ask for or make a point of clarification. Everybody talks it out, making an effort to aid everyone's understanding. And at the end, most everybody involved leaves a little smarter than when they started.

When it goes wrong is when people personally identify with the information that they are presenting to others. When other people ask for clarification or challenge that information it then gets interpreted as a personal attack. But really, people are just trying to gain understanding and help others do the same. We're just exchanging information.

Smoke another J and relax. Everybody who has had or will have snot in their cloner is/will be glad you posted this. I know I am. It's useful information.
While I agree in principle CR.. someone in this thread was being quite Trollish IMO..along with giving out neg rep..Good thread UC already helpin some of my People...pal

S

SeaMaiden

That is just not correct. Cyanobacteria can be red, brown, black. Not only blue-green, which is, or was, the common nomenclature.

I have experience with retail aquariums, hobby systems, and a large public aquarium (probably not as well known as Woods Hole, but respectable in its own right) with an in-house lab, The Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. Erythromycin is the go-to treatment of choice for dealing with systems overrun with cyano. So, while I am unable to support UC's assertions via direct hydro experience, I am absolutely able to via over decades of aquatic experience.

Latest posts

Latest posts