What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding backwards, males stressed in into fems

TheSg

Does anyone know any techniques on stressing a male and getting it to show female flowers ? I'm stuck with a few males and I am trying to maintain them in seed ...
Any tips and tricks like lighting schedules or nutrient regiments would be helpful.
And if anyone knows of any plant hormones that can induce male to female sex changes then let's get this info out.

I'm not trying to breed for hermaphrodites. I'm just trying to maintain a special Hawaiian line. One of them even started off life as a tricot. I'm going to try anything to make another seed from this line. And I'm also crossing it to other strains as well including predator pink whatever that is... Ha
And Haole Girl BX.
The Hawaiian males are from a line called Kaithai from 808genetics and the Haole girl Bx is also from 808genetics. I highly recommend their strains btw.
So ya
If there are any hobby cannabis breeders out there let me know what ya think about the subject at hand.

Attachments

• 20200510_132806.jpg
    20200510_132806.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 15933768783715056865409191025707.jpg
    15933768783715056865409191025707.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43

TheSg

Haha I am stoked!! thanks soo much for the link!!!
I'm gonna keep posting how my pure male breeding project goes here anyways
I'm just in love with this strain and am gonna do my best to keep it going.

Thanks so much CVH

TheSg

Now to find somewhere to purchase ethephon

Shit I might need a pesticide license to get it...

Hmmmm. It's not even a pesticide.

TheSg

Hey guys thanks for all the help for some reason there is varying percentages in ethephon and ethrel of the 2-chloroethylphosphonic acid percentage. Is there a certain percentage that is most suitable for cannabis plants ?

And thanks for the Amazon link Hammerhead I don't know why but they won't ship to me. Maybe they only ship within their country. I'm trying to contact some Canadian plant hormone companies to find ethrel in Canada and so far it seems much easier to get in the US.
But I think these plant hormone retailers will be in contact with me in the next few days. And I'll be checking in at my local nurseries for ethephon and ethrel. In Some places it seems people act like this is a pesticide product for some reason. Maybe just because it seems like a Chemical and it's not organic.

TheSg

I hope to get some ethephon by the end of the month.
Got some for 50$.
Seems fair priced.

I've been collecting pollen from the Kaithai males that I'm hoping I can sexually reverse.

Wow is it causing me to sneeze and have a runny nose etc... Pollen is an amazing substance.

I hoping I can use said pollen on the males themselves after they go through a quick reveg.

I got high hopes for this quick reveg.
I'm gonna use some fish ferts and rooting hormone to keep them growing strong through this next phase.

TheSg

Florel brand

Florel brand

I finally got some ethephon!!!

I'm just wondering when is it best to apply ? I have some of the males that are trying to reveg and a clone that's fully in veg state. And I have collected lots of the pollen for backcrossing.

I'm gonna have some Kaithai F2's sooner or later ...

Kaithai is from 808genetics.
And I hope to preserve this strain for myself and anyone else interested in it.

Also.
808genetics flat out rules!!
Check them out
Do it now
They have some of the finest genetics around!
Hope somebody out there sees this! :ying::ying::ying:

Attachments

• 15959853149619054062611222058704.jpg
    15959853149619054062611222058704.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 38

TheSg

I'm getting ready to spray.
Hope this works.

I can see there is some new male buds about to form so I'ma spray'em good and see what happens.

TheSg

So I've been raising the dose of ethephon gradually and I've seen my plants respond better to a higher dose.
It's taken quite a few times but I think the progress is noticable ?
I think I'm starting to see leafy trichs appear
I'll try to post some pics
But it's hard to capture the slow progress from switching a male to female.

These plants are looking like strange purple Hawaiian hazes right now.

TheSg

Ethephon is harsh

Ethephon is harsh

Ethephon is a bit harsh and causes the plants to bend and twist after a dose...

But they finally showed some female flowers!

They are so small and hazey looking and probably infertile. I've dropped pollen on them but as they continue to grow I'll drop more.

Fingers crossed they actually make a seed or two.

Attachments

• 20200816_142028.jpg
    20200816_142028.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200816_142003.jpg
    20200816_142003.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200816_141610.jpg
    20200816_141610.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 48

TheSg

Making beans!

Making beans!

Yep. My best hopes is that my little black potted male clone will be able to make some seeds the other plants just look too far gone. They've become those damaged hazey sativas that just cant produce much flowers. I'm going to try to clone all three pheno types of the kaithai and perhaps keeps using them as pure males for breeding. And I'm going to keep trying to use the ethephon to make some seed somehow.

I have lots of pollen from these males.
They produced soo much pollen.
Dropping it on my Haole Girl BX from 808
And Predator Pink from exotic genetics but I got it as a cutting.
Gonna cross Haole girl/boy with the predator pink as well. And I've finished crossing Haole girl bx and kaithai to an unknown clone I have thats super gassy and sweet.
Making seeds is the best.

Attachments

• 15976426737242637556002228163288.jpg
    15976426737242637556002228163288.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 47

PDX Dopesmoker

I got a male that started making a few female flowers this summer when I gave it a pretty rough transplant in week 1 or so of flower, before any blossoms were open, but the first few were already forming. It made a few female flowers and then went back to being male a couple weeks later & the pistils produced viable looking seeds which I probably should have saved to learn something from, but didn't.
A good faction of the males I've grown out until the end of the fall will start showing pistils at about week 10 or so, theres a streetlight that hits the balcony the male plants go on and I think maybe that helps the gender reversal along. Seems like such a retarded desperate survival strategy for the plant to try and self itself that late in the game, the dying males never pop out the pistils when they have enough life left in them to form a viable seed, but I guess its a better strategy in their native climates with less severe winters.