What's new

Heat of LED vs HPS

G

grumpyavocado

I know that LEDs tend to bring less heat because you need less power to run them, but what about lamps with similar power? Will a 100W HPS run hotter than a 100W LED?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Its as much a spectrum thing

More of the wattage in the led should be going into the red and blue spectrum plants use and not so much the infra red (IR) if any really at all in some lights.. HPS waste a lot in infrared heat, like half of the wattage, that heats up the plants more and the air to an extent than LED..

So by a significant way hps will waste more energy as IR and create more heat.

This isnt always bad.. IR warms leaves and they need to be warm for the photosynthetic apparatus to work properly. Still i.would rather use LEDs all day.

prune

Veteran
If you want more than average bud you need to be able to drive the bud to greatness. Both LEDs and DE provide plenty of light, but all that IR from HPS DRIVES the bud to its best. You can run your LED room hotter, but its not the same and doesn't effect the plants the same way.

Spec sheets and math don't always tell the full story...

THC123

Veteran
All that matters is leaf surface temperature. I think LED grows superior bud compared to HPS. Especially in small areas

G

grumpyavocado

Its as much a spectrum thing

More of the wattage in the led should be going into the red and blue spectrum plants use and not so much the infra red (IR) if any really at all in some lights.. HPS waste a lot in infrared heat, like half of the wattage, that heats up the plants more and the air to an extent than LED..

So by a significant way hps will waste more energy as IR and create more heat.

This isnt always bad.. IR warms leaves and they need to be warm for the photosynthetic apparatus to work properly. Still i.would rather use LEDs all day.
Thanks, i get it!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you want more than average bud you need to be able to drive the bud to greatness. Both LEDs and DE provide plenty of light, but all that IR from HPS DRIVES the bud to its best. You can run your LED room hotter, but its not the same and doesn't effect the plants the same way.

Spec sheets and math don't always tell the full story...
[/FONT]
This is not what I asked but you could have a point because QBs are starting to have IR diodes(or far red, not sure if it's different).

indagroove

Veteran
IR is different than far red. If you really think you need IR, you can always add a small 150w hps to 450w of LED, which will produce better than 600w of hps. Really as long as you are able to keep the temps up a bit more with LED compared to HPS, you are fine. That said, yes 1000w of HPD will put off more heat than 1000w of LED, but it's also a different kind of heat; more radiant heat from HPS due to the infared compared to the heat put off by LED.

G

grumpyavocado

IR is different than far red. If you really think you need IR, you can always add a small 150w hps to 450w of LED, which will produce better than 600w of hps. Really as long as you are able to keep the temps up a bit more with LED compared to HPS, you are fine. That said, yes 1000w of HPD will put off more heat than 1000w of LED, but it's also a different kind of heat; more radiant heat from HPS due to the infared compared to the heat put off by LED.
Thank you!

Horselover Fat

Veteran
They produce exactly ythe same ammount of heat.

Leds do not produce unwanted IR-heat like HPS so it is easier to cool the grow area as almost all of the heat rises up from the light fixture, but they produce the same total ammount of heat.

brickweeder

Both HPS and LEDs convert electrons into other forms of energy, light and heat. One general measure of the conversion of electricity is lumens per watt. Higher lumens per watt means that for each watt converted, more light and less heat is produced. Lower lumens per watt mean less light and more heat is produced per watt. The LEDs I have been working with produce about ~150 lm/w (cree cobs) and ~175 lm/w (samsung). The output of 600w HPS bulbs vary but 90,000 lumens is common, which is 150 lumens per watt for a new bulb.

So it really depends on what HPS bulb and LED you are comparing.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Both HPS and LEDs convert electrons into other forms of energy, light and heat. One general measure of the conversion of electricity is lumens per watt. Higher lumens per watt means that for each watt converted, more light and less heat is produced. Lower lumens per watt mean less light and more heat is produced per watt. The LEDs I have been working with produce about ~150 lm/w (cree cobs) and ~175 lm/w (samsung). The output of 600w HPS bulbs vary but 90,000 lumens is common, which is 150 lumens per watt for a new bulb.

The ammount of photons produced is irrelevant. Same power -> same heat.

indagroove

Veteran

Lumens is an ok measurement of light for humans, but not for plants. We should be looking at PAR values for grow lights, not lumens. HPS puts out a lot of lumens, but the right LEDS for the same lumes can put out double the par of HPS. Take a look..

https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/convert-lumens-to-ppf-online-calculator

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor

this is totally new knowledge to me. :thank you:

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Not just heat but biomass. Otherwise there's no growth.

Cheers

Yeah, of course :) but that's going to be a pretty small ammount and doesn't really factor in comparing the heat produced by different lights. Though there would indeed be a tiny bit of less heat if the plants are able to use some of the extra photons for growth :tongue:

T

TakenByTheSky

Watts = BTUs

1 watt = 3.41 BTUs
It doesn't matter what kind of light you use a watt is a watt is a watt.

Using less wattage means less heat no matter how you slice it.

Now with LED you get more efficiency for the wattage you use.

So 300w of LED might give you the same outcome of using 600w HPS, this half the heat generated.

Lyfespan

Watts = BTUs

1 watt = 3.41 BTUs

So 300w of LED might give you the same outcome of using 600w HPS, this half the heat generated.

this is the best answer :groupwave: to get heat down in the rooms maybe look at remote ballasts :headbange

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Watts = BTUs

1 watt = 3.41 BTUs

This is fair enough. :tiphat: