What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag Seed vs. Higher Quality Seeds: Where to Start?

Can any seasoned veterans give me their opinion on what to start with: bag seeds or higher quality genetic seeds? On the one hand, it seems there's less financial risk with bag seeds. On the other. I wondered if bag seeds present more of a challenge than higher quality seeds. Thoughts?

Bag seeds are good to get the basics of growing down, but because of the "unknown factors" they are less desirable. Usually you don't know what strain they are, so plant structure is a guess. Also u don't know how the seed came to be....could be a hermie seed.

With proven genetics you know what ur getting. And u can choose what suits your situation better. From plant size/shape to the smoke's effects.

I started with bagseeds for a couple rounds to get the hang of things, then upgraded to proven genetics once Ihad some confidence thatt my money wouldn't be wasted.

snuggles

Can any seasoned veterans give me their opinion on what to start with: bag seeds or higher quality genetic seeds? On the one hand, it seems there's less financial risk with bag seeds. On the other. I wondered if bag seeds present more of a challenge than higher quality seeds. Thoughts?

if possible start with a clone(s), that way you can be sure about certain traits of the plants and the end product.

bagseed is a hit or miss imho.
you can get lucky and get something really special, or worst case a hermie, bad structure etc etc.

higher quality seeds are "safer" than bagseed, like the poster before said.
but it's still possible to get undesirable seeds from high quality vendors. it's a living thing after all....:)

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I would definitely start out with bag seed, especially if you have some beans out of a bag of some good shit.
Chances of hermies are over stated on icmag all the time, when in fact it's a pretty rare occurrence. More often when it happens, it's the grower fucking something up, like light leaks and stuff.

If you can get clones, that would be better, but if you can't, give bag seed a try. Anything that can go wrong with bag seed can go wrong with $100/10 pack seeds. JMO

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You can find many many strains that are cheap, 20-30$ per pack. Starting with known genetics are a very good way to avoid a lot of wasted time and headaches. Do yourself a favor and grab some good seeds from a reputable breeder and have a solid start to your adventure!

Thanks, guys, it's great to get a better perspective from people with experience. I wasn't sure whether it was like they say about guitars: cheap ones are harder to play and discouraging but if you buy the best you can afford, you're more likely to stick with it. Finances are a bit tight so I'[ll try my hand at bag seeds but maybe pick up some cheap seeds on my next paycheck to try my hand at both. Thanks again!:biggrin:

G

Play around with sprouting the bag seed and keep it alive for a while. I enjoy bag seed, but I feel its an experienced persons diversion. Too many variables that make it difficult for a novice grower. Top of the list is sensitive to stress. Another concern may be a sativa dominant strain.
Purchased seeds are not expensive. I just purchased something off of Seed-bay for $20 that I know will freak people out around here. There are many vendors here or otherwise that have solid known quantities. You don't have to get the best you can afford. Get a few nice strains that are well within your budget.
I would ask myself what I want in a strain for my needs/growroom capabilities and go bargain hunting.
One of my personal favorite places to get gear at next to nothing is PeakseedsBC. But take a look around and ask what vendors/breeders are well known. This community is golden for good advice.
OC

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
having grown a shitload of both .. I say it depends on your general gardening skills.. if your already a decent gardener buy known seeds like from bog or another well known breeder...bagseeds are a crap shoot .. I have had awesome bagseeds and holy hell hermy bagseeds...for me its still fun to search through as I have 1000s but for a newbie it could be hell and you might not even get a good seedless crop...yeehaw..good luck..edit your in la why not get a med rec and gets some clones from a dispensary .. skip seeds altogether?????????????

hayday

Veteran
High quality all the way. Stable seeds from a known breeder with help the first experience be a good one.
Bag seed ,there's no telling what you might get.

DoomsDay

Whatever is most accessible to you. You're starting off, don't make it harder than it needs to be. Free is always better to me.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
hermies are free and rampant in bagseeds... good genetics from a reputable breeder should be stable and herm free....yeehaw..bagseeds have been best for me when there only was a few in the bag..few late nanners producing seeds....if the bag is loaded get new dealer and feed the birds....yeehaw

JKD

Veteran
I think bagseed is a bit of a misnomer. You could have the dankest buds on earth from seed or clone, as soon as they have been pollinated and become seeded those seeds are 'bagseed' - does that suddenly make the mother shit to smoke? If the smoke was great grow those seeds out.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Consider this...

Chem lines and OG Kush... Some of the most popular varieties on the market...

Where did they get their start?

Bag seeds...

Ya never know what you might find!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Didn't we all start with bag seed at one time? I sure did! Later it was from seed banks, seed auctions.

Do what fits your wallet, get the growing down as many have mentioned, THEN invest in some purchased strains. There's many reasonable out there.

Relentless

Veteran
everyone told me to start with bagseed.. i did.. and got 13/13 hermis, no joke.. if the bag of bud u have is full of seed could be a very bad sign.. id rather spend a lil dough and get some killer genetics that at least give you somewhat of a guidlines as to what to expect in terms of stretch, flower time, etc. dont want males? get some femd seeds. imo dont buy autoflower seeds. lol

edit: starting with a known, clean clone would be best..

WelderDan

Veteran
Bag seed to learn the basics. If you over fert or screw up the PH, you've lost nothing and learned something. Once you get a little experience and confidence, move up to Nirvana or other similar priced beans. Nirvana has some gems for the price and most are easy to grow. Then comes the seed addiction, followed by the pollen chucking bug, and there's no going back.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
High quality all the way. Stable seeds from a known breeder with help the first experience be a good one.
Bag seed ,there's no telling what you might get.

Except there is- the pot that was in the bag the seeds came in- if it was good, I'd give it a shot. It's as realistic as believing the pictures and descriptions some breeders post, lol.

I want the OP to have a good experience too, and screwing up 40 or 50 bucks worth of beans on a first grow is likely not going to b so good. jmo

DoomsDay

One of my best yielding and heaviest hitting sativa came from bag seed.... just saying.. gems are hidden everywhere. If you have them sprout them.

X

xavier7995

I personally loved to grow bagseed back in the day. If you are talking bricked weed though, I don't think the magic is nearly as prevalent anymore with it. Bagseeds were much harder to grow and I would recommend doing them outside if you can.

Starting out though, it would be a really good idea to just get some cheap seeds from a reputable source instead. You can find them online or I would imagine some are available locally if you are in CA. An investment of 20 or 30 bucks is well worth it to have some idea of what your end product will be like and to know it is going to have a better chance of being good than some random medley of strains that are, at best, designed to yield, nothing more.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just saying.. gems are hidden everywhere. If you have them sprout them.

Right on....even autos...provides quick turn around, quality smoke, gets your grow techniques down (success/failure/learning curve), then go with photos. Mistakes at 600 days much easier to rectify than 3-4 month photos.

Bag seed, if hermie, that's an education in itself...identifying sex.

JUST GROW!!