What's new

What would you mount your quantum light meanwell driver on outside the tent?

The123321

I am new to growing. I am looking at the 32x32 tent with 2-4 auto plants with the 240w kingbrite quantum board with the ac infinity 6" fan with filter on it. I am looking at mounting the driver outside the tent on a wire frame shelf right above the tent. I read that it would be good to mount it to metal to be a kind of heat sink on there for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L45QTC1

Would that pan work on there for it?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You could buy a real one cheaper. Either a few small ones with sticky pads supplied, or one the actual size. Though just some U channel would increase the surface area 100%. These drivers are designed to live in boxes with the heat of the LED's below them, so it really shouldn't be needed. Case temperature says 90c I think?

brickweeder

I mount them on aluminum sheet that is in turn mounted against the wall (with airspace behind the sheet for the chimney effect). When running at full, the driver cases get pretty hot, so added heat sinking is a good thing. The 90 degrees C mentioned earlier is the temp at which the driver shuts off, and keeping temps well below 90C will probably lengthen the driver's lifesapn.

Koondense

Veteran
I mounted my meanwells on a piece of chipboard, for the summer run.
No need to overthink, a couple screws and that's it. Max temps of my MW housing at full power are around 65°C.

Cheers

The123321

Thanks. The real ones I found on amazon look very small for it though I could do a few small ones for it. I do not want to spend much on it like $10 or less. The aluminum pan is only like $8. If I wanted to spend $30 on a large heatsink I would likely order one from like hlg for it. I may try the hardware store to find a piece of aluminum sheet though I do not know how that would be any better than the aluminum baking sheet pan I linked on there for it.