What's new

Weird hydroponics store worker comments...

Mist

I was running short on bloom nutrients while waiting on some I ordered, so I went by my local grow supply store to pick up just a quart of some 1 part bloom to hold me over.
Their prices are high and their shelves are usually half empty so I don't go there much..
Anyways, I look around and don't see anything I want and the guy there asks me if he can help me find something. So I tell him I want just a quart of some inexpensive 1 part bloom for hydroponics.
Then came the funny part. Out of nowhere he says "you're not doing deep water culture are you?" with a kind of "looking down his nose" attitude.
And I said yes. Then he let out a big sigh and acted as though I was beneath his even speaking to me anymore and shoved a bottle of bloom at me and checked me out quickly.
I don't even understand what that was all about, but it was funny.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if they were any good at growing they would be doing that rather than work a minimum wage grow shop job!

MarDog

Haha I find a lot of people that have moved here from outta state and want to meet other growers working at our store. Some are the super stoner introvert type that are really streching it to be in a retail setting...but then they get plugged in and all eventually move along...

B

Benny106

My local store is family run and the staff are not only on point with advice, but great sense of humour too. Your dude was probably just wishing you were a AN consumer.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
DWC is a shitty system because if you come look over here we have these flood and drain tables just in, if you take two...

BuzzBob56

DWC is a shitty system because if you come look over here we have these flood and drain tables just in, if you take two...

Precisely! I left a 1-Star Google Review for a local Happy Hydro store near me, after all the guy was interested in was converting me from my DIY System to his "flavor of the day" Hempy Bucket System they had set up on the floor { not actually running }. It was the only system they were offering, aside from some grossly over-priced F&D Tables.

Sunshineinabag

i wonder why mother natures lead isnt followed? should be common sense when growing cultivars, but then again some folks put tide pods in their mouths call it a challenge and brag about it........see life as a fashion show /popularity contest ....i call therm flakes.....im not shocked they wanna inundate the cannabis scene with their skullduggery

imakandi

sorry
but why is important what sale person say
only sell stuff
if he success grower, 100% not sell stuff in store, another job, mayb no job
mayb need more thick bodyskin
:)

rolandomota

Veteran
Autos in hydro that's how these guys are pulling crazy numbers in record times from seed! Too much work for me though soil is simpler
What was the question?
O yea lol at the shop guy he's probably thinking no flavor but it's none of his business what your using it for it's not like your growing his weed

budsicles

but why is important what sale person say

Because these sales people are making money off of us.
Good employees show gratitude to their customers...that's their golden goose.
I don't want to eat at a restaurant if the server treats me with disdain.

So many hydro store workers act like smug used car salesmen.
Wouldn't surprise me if many shops are just fronts for laundering blackmarket grow profits.
If that's the case then they don't have much incentive to be accommodating.

imakandi

Wouldn't surprise me if many shops are just fronts for laundering blackmarket grow profits.

growshop sell supply
no sell advice

if go growshop for advice, is your problem

get advice from growshop, same advice from street doctor... never see you, not know you, still know answer
lmoa

agriculture, supply shop (fertilizer, pesticide, seeds) never advice grower, only sell supply.

go ask bank, what is best way to make money?
they say: of course, have loan with us

is easy
you pay for product, not for advice
is my brain think

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
My local grow shop is run by guys who were in the game before it was legal, from my understanding. They just there to help other people grow awesome plants. Maybe I lucked out but I haven't once had them pressure me to buy crap I didn't need or looked down on me for doing it differently than them.

maryjanesdad

growshop sell supply
no sell advice

get advice from growshop, same advice from street doctor... never see you, not know you, still know answer
lmoa

agriculture, supply shop (fertilizer, pesticide, seeds) never advice grower, only sell supply.

go ask bank, what is best way to make money?
they say: of course, have loan with us

is easy
you pay for product, not for advice
is my brain think

Only shitty hydro shops do what that sales person did. In general shitting on someone's idea, method etc will yield negative results. That's not the way to change or convert people over, in anything. Part of the benefits of going to a local shop is customer gets feedback, gets advice on certain things, information...unless you know it all, you will see that as a plus. Yes they are sales people but they are also growers (hopefully) and have a passion for it.

A store that went out of business 2 yrs ago or so was over priced ($40 more for a H&G product I used), shitty customer service, etc. I stopped going to them back in 2010 and began going elsewhere that was closer, cheaper and real cool siblings who owned it. I mentioned the store to them on one of my many visits and they said I was like the 50th person to mention how bad the cust service was, prices etc ....people talk, growers talk, small community, word gets around.

Be easy.

budsicles

growshop sell supply
no sell advice

We are not talking about getting advice.
We are talking about buying products, and getting shit attitude from sellers.
It's rude and disrespectful. Bad way to do business.
I would rather give my money to a nice person than an asshole.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
My local grow shop is run by guys who were in the game before it was legal, from my understanding. They just there to help other people grow awesome plants. Maybe I lucked out but I haven't once had them pressure me to buy crap I didn't need or looked down on me for doing it differently than them.

^this all the way AP
there are good shops and bad ones and its the people who make the difference
places staffed by enthusiastic and knowledgeable people make you want to come back time after time and spend your money with a smile on your face
this guy is not helping out the business with his dickish approach and i would bet he knows jack about growing real kine weed
/ there is no one system that works best for all and its cool to hear about how different people do things

imakandi

understand meaning
nice guy better for return
agree

in all world some people think they better,
in weed very interesting, is same, in forum too
even rasta and hippy

but if affected
you choose to affected

not try to be dick

laugh if think growshop man say like that me,
like ok bro, is cool
after smoke your self superr weed... what better?
:huggg:

MtnGanj

DWC can put out massive yields - not sure why he would hate on DWC, unless he thinks you won’t purchase as much of his overpriced bottled salts. It’s a shame as there are some great shop owners out there.

Sunshineinabag

lmao

lmao

half of us here arent pretentious enough to work at a hydro store. Secondly i have a real hard time steering someone towards an elaborate set up in gear to make a store profit, knowing full well i could sell him a bag of compost based medium that will more then keep them happy with a decent light thats not 1000.00, so when i see this person 5-10 yrs later they can realize my heart was inn the right place.