What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GA3: How to germinate old seeds?

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
i have used ga3 .. i used it at 130ppm on some very old seeds ,,and outa 10 only 2 made it.. they stretch lik crazy at first than slow down around 2-1/2 to 3feet tall.. once they stopd stretching i vegd them till it had normal leafs again and than cloned it and its normal and in flower rightnow and looks Amazing!!
make sure u see wat the ppms are at..if there Really old seeds lik mine were id use 200ppm..

Peace

What is really old in your opinion?

Keep on growing :)

Arf

What is really old in your opinion?

It kind of depends on how the seeds were kept. I have Thai bag seeds given to me from the late 1970's that spent over 20 years in a drawer, then 15 years in a fridge and I get almost 100% germ from them.

Then I have a bunch of f2 hybrids I made that are about 12 years old, just left in zip lock bags at room temp, typically 25C 40-50% humidity, and I can't get a single one to pop, all sorts of strains, tried hundreds.

Arf

I would love to see how the Thai seeds grow Arf. Do you have a thread on those?

I did a run earlier in the year, I don't have any need to do another this year.

I have some other old seeds I am trying to germ that have spend 15 years in high humidity which I think makes them dormant.

I am going to try putting them in the fridge with some silca gel for a few months to see what happens.

JAWS

going to order some of this G3 stuff, i got some old but killer seeds going to be coming my way and i want to give them as mush chance to pop as i can. only 7 to work with sooo.

peace :biggrin:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pry the seed hull apart if if they take too long to pop. No need for g3 for me anyways. I will use a bit of superthrive and molasses for a soak. Hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes, 1 to 20 water ratio. Scuff first.

Wear gloves and then into wet paper towels at 85 F.

JAWS

ya been getting some info on that GA3 product keep hearing about mutants and genetic issues from using it so ya me thinks i will try something more in the line of a natural soak, maybe some seaweed soak or something along those lines.

thank you :biggrin:

Zigsta

Is it worth putting old seeds into a fridge for while to help seeds if they have been sitting in a sock drawer for years, and the seeds are not germing?

Ive been trying to germ various seeds, like ak47 from the 90s but the seeds arent opening. They open ever so slightly , then seem to give up

Great thread by the way :tiphat:
After look at this, and doing a quick google search, there is a liquid called BAC XSeed. Not sure whats in it, but i was thinking of trying it.

Zigsta

Hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes, 1 to 20 water ratio. Scuff first.

Wear gloves and then into wet paper towels at 85 F.

Ive got some hydrogen peroxide handy.
Does the % make a difference, and if so, which % do you use/recommend?
what does 1 to 20 water ratio mean?

Think i might try this on some seeds.thanks man

One Güey

Here's my 2 cents.

My method, which I learned from an Old Coot, is using Bio Ag Ful-Power. They're just concentrated enzymes and like like a few said here when seeds are activated there's a lot of going on I.e. hormonal activity. I use about 1:100 ful power to water. It's better than giberellic acid, peroxide, bleach, etc. No offense. If it don't work then, them seeds where bunk.

One Güey

frostqueen

Here's my 2 cents.

My method, which I learned from an Old Coot, is using Bio Ag Ful-Power. They're just concentrated enzymes and like like a few said here when seeds are activated there's a lot of going on I.e. hormonal activity. I use about 1:100 ful power to water. It's better than giberellic acid, peroxide, bleach, etc. No offense. If it don't work then, them seeds where bunk.

One Güey

Using Ful Power is a great idea, but if it were 'better than gibberellic acid', botanists would use it instead of GA3. But they don't.

A combination of Ful Power and GA3 would be an interesting experiment, though.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Is it this?

41STkS3imHL._SY355_.jpg

leet

Scuff -> Hydrogen peroxide -> seaweed water soak 20hours warm -> cotton or paper towel. Try to stay clean cause seeds might take a long time to crack pop.

meizzwang

All other factors being equal, an old seed batch that takes a long time to germinate, has the "helmut" issue where the seed coat gets stuck on the cotyledons, or has trouble emerging from the soil might benefit from GA3. However, it won't bring an old seed batch back to life if they're already dead due to excessive desiccation, exposure to humidity or moisture, heat exposure, sudden temperature changes, or other environmental factors that increases the rate of oxidation to the embryo. Sometimes, seeds are born dead even if they look amazing and fat on the outside...

Immediately after harvest, if fully mature seeds are dried at room temperature in the dark for 2 days, immediately sealed in air tight containers, then placed in the refrigerator, these seeds can theoretically last up to 20 years. They're dry at this stage, but not bone dry. I was surprised to hear some seeds lasting 35 years and still sprouting, but that seems plausible. In 2016, I germinated some zucchini squash seeds harvested in 1996 (package said packed for 1997), got 100% germination, and while they didn't sprout fast, they didn't take their sweet time either. The package of seeds were carefully stored in air tight containers in the refrigerator and were only temporarily taken out of cold storage maybe 3 or 4 times.

I don't think people in general realize just how long cannabis seeds can remain viable if stored properly. At the same time, their shelf life can be very short( weeks to months) if stored in a house, for example, that gets warm every day and cool at night.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. I have seen a member from other forum who claims he has sprouted 40 years old seeds Mauie Wowie

Its been trial and error through out, but my best results have been 1. scuffing the seeds with fine sandpaper. 2. giving them a bath in distilled water with H2O2, and using distilled water with 500 PPM's of GA3 for a 24 to 36 hour soak.
I have had to give the shells some extra help to open up on a few after they cracked, seems the endosperm covering on old seeds gets like leather over time and is too tough to allow the radicle to rupture it.

He got about 50% success.

But I would try first with Mystic Funk "wornbin tech".

Latest posts

Latest posts